Thoughts on Tonights Substitutions

JG400

We went flat straight after the goal. 

No ball retention and started to drop deeper.

Huddlestone and Johnson were in each others pockets.

If Rowett thought bringing Martin on and having Carson punting it at his head was a good idea then he has a lot to learn.

Surely that is the ideal situation for Butterfield?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps if we sign Toral? Or even a good box-to-box midfielder. I presume also that eventually Vydra will be able to play 90 mins. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet that often if we retreat towards the end of a game.

TBH Roy I don't know a lot about Toral. What I have learned is that Chris Martin is great when he close support but looks marooned without it.

i go back to my original statement .. He needs aggressive attack minded  midfield runners OR a number 10 to get the best out of his savvy style of game. He is. Crafty but not a loner. As a lone striker to receive a long ball he doesn't cut it. 

I know hes really our only other option

but i thought that brining martin on was a little strange tactically

i realise it was to freshen it up but with 20 odd to go it was obvious preston were going to press more and send more balls into the box, so as we or any team tend to do when this happens ... we dropped back

in that situation u really want someone who will chase lost causes and works the channels and sare i say it... give us a threat on the counter

yes i know chrissy can make it stick, im a big fan of our main man, but tbh the more i watch the more im sat there thinking to myself that martin isnt a rowett player 

15 minutes ago, jono said:

TBH Roy I don't know a lot about Toral. What I have learned is that Chris Martin is great when he close support but looks marooned without it.

i go back to my original statement .. He needs aggressive attack minded  midfield runners OR a number 10 to get the best out of his savvy style of game. He is. Crafty but not a loner. As a lone striker to receive a long ball he doesn't cut it. 

How many strikers are good as a lone striker, without support? Especially if the rest of the team aren't being positive - can't think of any bar a few whippets?

As for Martin not being a Rowett player, if he works hard, ie when we're attacking and when we're defending deadballs, why not? Not every players is going to be a headless chicken type runaround are they?

21 hours ago, rammieib said:

I saw this differently. I thought the perspective of the game changed on this sub and we became defensive. Bryson feels most at home when chasing a defender. We lost a big attacking threat with Vydra going off and with 25 minutes left I felt we settled for 1-0. 

A second would have killed the game off and we dodged a bullet with the double ricochet shot.

I would like to see us close a game out with a second and close up shop from 75 mins onwards.

A tad nit picky given the team selection and tactical debacle of the Wolves match ... the subs were fine. 

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

A tad nit picky given the team selection and tactical debacle of the Wolves match ... the subs were fine. 

Had the deflected shot gone in what would we all be saying?

Second and third subs fine, but to go defensive on 65 worries me.

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Had the deflected shot gone in what would we all be saying?

Second and third subs fine, but to go defensive on 65 worries me.

Point taken but what did we have on the bench? Bryson for Vydra wasn't that defensive when Vydra was knackered.

10 hours ago, Ninos said:

Point taken but what did we have on the bench? Bryson for Vydra wasn't that defensive when Vydra was knackered.

Fair point - Maybe Martin, and drop Nugent back?

I got the point of the sub but it just really put us on the back foot.

Physchologically as the other team, you see them bring on a 'midfielder' for an 'attacker' and it suddenly gives them the impetus to push forward further. Bryson isn't exactly going to dribble through the middle of the pitch so the threat becomes less.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

How many strikers are good as a lone striker, without support? Especially if the rest of the team aren't being positive - can't think of any bar a few whippets?

As for Martin not being a Rowett player, if he works hard, ie when we're attacking and when we're defending deadballs, why not? Not every players is going to be a headless chicken type runaround are they?

Roy, I know Chris is your secret love child ? and he can do no wrong, but I am not critisisisng him one bit. He is a cracking player but not as versatile as say Nugent. Nuge is very mobile, runs channels and pulls defenders around much more than CM. He is less subtle and more combative than Chris. True, no striker alone is going to get much change in isolation but there is more of a hunter about Nuge, while Chris needs minions. Vydra has his issue too. He is mobile like Nuge but doesn't have the physical presence. He is another who needs a foil or foils to be his best. 

1 minute ago, Mr Giggles said:

I personally thought that we could have utilized Butterfield towards the end of the game.

May have been useful to have him slow the game down and let us relax a little more.  

It's a fair shout.

Taking off Vydra - which was understandable given his return to fitness - meant we struggled to keep possession without anyone with good ability on the ball further up the pitch.

It's a similar problem we've had when subbing Will Hughes in the past. It basically invites pressure because we can't relieve it.

Just now, Srg said:

It's a fair shout.

Taking off Vydra - which was understandable given his return to fitness - meant we struggled to keep possession without anyone with good ability on the ball further up the pitch.

It's a similar problem we've had when subbing Will Hughes in the past. It basically invites pressure because we can't relieve it.

Completely agree  

34 minutes ago, Mr Giggles said:

I personally thought that we could have utilized Butterfield towards the end of the game.

May have been useful to have him slow the game down and let us relax a little more.  

Seriously? Mr giggles is having a giggle with this idea. It's not an accident that we yank him out and we start going forward. And he's the worst defensive player in the league so not exactly a good move unless you want to surrender the midfield. He literally watches people dribble by him.

Relapse a little more not relax a little more.

Archived