Chris Martin needs to be dropped

kyle mccabe

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get the best from Martin you need to play into his feet. Playing balls in behind to run on to or lofted long balls aren't going to work.

The few times we did play into his feet today he did well. His 1 2s brought some needed tempo into our attacking third.

Haven't we been here before with performances like today's, under the last 5 managers...not just Martin being hopeless , the whole of the midfield needs to go.

We were a mid table side last season  and now we have lost the best two players we do look rather hopeless in the creating side of thing's.

Until we can offload the no hopes to another club I unfortunately don't see us moving forward. 

As soon as Nugent came on, Martin actually had some support.

It shocks me that a manager can even criticise the first half at Sunderland and then put the same line up out expecting something different.

Dont have a pop at Martin, everything was badly wrong today.

Vydra, Nugent... whoever it is will need more bodies around them. 

As soon as Vydra drove from midfield in the Sunderland game he set up Martin.

Our midfield have spent the best part of 2 games watching Martin through binoculars. 

Think that's the reason some of us are reacting badly to the 2nd game of the season. It's a tactic that Pearson went through with players that don't suit it. 

3 blokes in that midfield and you could fit them all in this 

o_weighted_hula_hoop.jpg

Just now, rammieib said:

As soon as Nugent came on, Martin actually had some support.

It shocks me that a manager can even criticise the first half at Sunderland and then put the same line up out expecting something different.

Dont have a pop at Martin, everything was badly wrong today.

Agreed. When i saw the line up was the same i had to shake my head. I wonder about football. 

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You and ninos?!

Perhaps the freekicks were to try and get some possession up field?

You'll only figure it out RM when we hit rock bottom that is that martin and 4-3-3 is dead. Hopefully Rowett won't wait that long. 

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course 4-3-3 is dead, but why can't Rowett see that?

No idea. Could speculate ... He was supposed to be the British king of gegenpress who studied Dortmund. What happened ? One game last year we played with Vydra and Nugent and pressed and we shattered the opposition. Then he goes back to a 4-3-3. He says all the right things - and does none of them. Reality is you can't encourage the team to launch long through balls to run onto (which he does) then field a Martin-centered team that doesn't play clever and fast on the ground. We don't have clever fast players (our trickiest 3 are gone) so failure is imminent if he persists don't you think ?

Never liked Martin, I think he's overrated but it's not his fault, especially today's game. He's not like Nugent who can create his own chances, Martin needs supply. If Johnson, Russell, Weimann and an out of form Butterfield were meant to supply him, you could have had Ronaldo today and he wouldn't have scored. Strikers are only as good as their supply.

5 hours ago, kyle mccabe said:

Touch and tackle all game. I posted on here not long ago about how we lack pace and nobody to go over the top and got bombarded with messages on how wrong I am. Now tell me I'm wrong....

Nothing worse than someone incorrectly taking the high ground. :lol:

You sir, are almost as clueless as our midfield. Don't let other concerning area's get in the way of a good old moan about Martin though! 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course 4-3-3 is dead, but why can't Rowett see that?

4-3-3 isn't dead. No formation is ever dead, no style of play is ever dead and no type of player is ever dead. 4-4-2 was "dead" for years until bloody Leicester won the league playing it.

Any tactic implemented correctly with suitable personnel will have some success. If we had a 4-3-3 built the same as our 13/14/15 team then it'd be successful. But we don't have the personnel for it.

Who's the energetic CM linking up with the striker in this team, actually f*** this team, this entire squad? There isn't a single one of them capable of doing it. I don't think Bryson has the legs for it anymore and Johnson is more of a destroyer than an AM. The fact that Rowett thinks Johnson is better utilised as an AM or LM really worries me. He's more of a battling CM who can get forward reasonably well but not with any finesse or skill. He'll get on the end of crosses and hit the ball really hard if it drops to him. That's basically the extent of it.

Why Rowett has started off with a 4-3-3 when there's no one to support Martin absolutely baffles me. I don't understand it. But that's not the formations fault, that's Rowett's fault.

I hope we switch to a 4-2-3-1 ASAP because it suits our players, not because I have a bias towards a certain formation or think any formation is "dead".

9 hours ago, Hollybush said:

May even get us up.

Is the the league table, because one thing is for sure with this squad and still playing 4-3-3, is a sure sign of incoming failure. 

Trying to play  Martin up front 4-3-3 failed under Clement, Wassall, Pearson and now Rowett, when will they learn Martin and the team of 13/14 Is long gone.

Archived