Chris Martin needs to be dropped

kyle mccabe

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, kyle mccabe said:

Touch and tackle all game. I posted on here not long ago about how we lack pace and nobody to go over the top and got bombarded with messages on how wrong I am. Now tell me I'm wrong....

Between Huddlestone and Martin  today the midfield and “front” line was appalling - it only improved after Bryson and Nugent came on.

1 minute ago, RamBamThankYouMam said:

Don't agree? Anybody who would be anywhere near him in the goalscoring charts either got a move to the Premier League or got promoted themselves. Martin isn't good enough. Fact. 

That's not a fact. :lol:

2 minutes ago, RamBamThankYouMam said:

Even if we play everything through Martin (which we shouldn't be doing) we still aren't good enough to get promoted. Martin at his absolute best was the Wembley year and we didn't do enough then, and he/the team has only gone backwards since then. 

He's been worked out by opposition and referees. Today he was only interested in trying to buy free kicks. 

Yeah but he's really good at conning refs ... and I swear on one he tangled his own feet together won a free kick with a gobsmacked Wolves player behind, and was 100% convincing. So props where props are due, to what he does better than anyone else: falling over and winning free kicks.

35 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Rowett will make changes Tuesday but team morale is already dropping as senior players yo yo in and out of the side. 

9 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I'm speaking to the upcoming changes ... as confirmed by Rowett post game 

Nah. You were off on a meandering diatribe with no regard whatsoever for the facts.

2 hours ago, lrm14 said:

He was demanding the ball, it's just nobody could string a series of passes together today. And what are you talking about 'bust a gut to get on the end of crosses'? You have to put crosses in for that to happen.

Okay,so you watch the positions Martin takes up in the box and tell me how any player is supppsed to find him. He's like Where's Wally hidden between three defenders.

He's not quick but he is strong and needs to impose himself. 

Today I would agree the crossing was poor but he often was outside of the box when team mates looked up.

Nigel Clough, Steve Mac, Paul Clement, Darren Wassell, Gary Rowett, Gorden Strachan & Slaviša Jokanović all thought Martin was quality and the man for them 

But some of you clearly know more about football and strikers than them 

40 minutes ago, RamBamThankYouMam said:

Even if we play everything through Martin (which we shouldn't be doing) we still aren't good enough to get promoted. Martin at his absolute best was the Wembley year and we didn't do enough then, and he/the team has only gone backwards since then. 

He's been worked out by opposition and referees. Today he was only interested in trying to buy free kicks. 

Absolutely spot on.

There has to been a few of us saying something very similar for a while now.

21 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Okay,so you watch the positions Martin takes up in the box and tell me how any player is supppsed to find him. He's like Where's Wally hidden between three defenders.

He's not quick but he is strong and needs to impose himself. 

Today I would agree the crossing was poor but he often was outside of the box when team mates looked up.

What are you talking about hidden by three defenders? He plays with his back to goal and the defenders are usually always behind him.

The issue is their midfield today covered the area in front of him so he couldn't receive the ball. We previously used to be able to work around this because we had players like Hendrick, Hughes and Bryson (pre-injury) who would try very fast one-twos or would get around a man in midfield and thus create space. They were dynamic which meant that they could usually bypass teams crowding Martin. Our midfield is exceptionally static at the moment and there's nobody in there who can beat his man. 

This is the biggest thing we lost with Hughes and Ince is the ability to go around a man. Teams now can just sit very deep against us and we're never going to get a sniff at goal. It has nothing to do with Martin and everything to do with having a massive lack in quality service both in terms of creating space and in delivery.

We were pretty horrendous today, I don't know how much of that we can attribute to Martin though. We're looking more like a Nigel Pearson side at this point. I personally (predictably, I'm sure) thought Martin was one of the better players today. Some decent hold up, some good one touch passing, and won a couple of free kicks. The problem is there's no creativity or link up at all, if Martin receives the ball and lays it off to a midfielder, they'll either run it into a defender or pass it backwards to someone else will do the same thing.

I'm one of Martin's most ardent defenders, but he's not going to produce anything this season with this system and lack of support. 

Archived