Chris Martin needs to be dropped

kyle mccabe

I am a fan of Martin's but he doesn't do himself any favours. Top centre forwards demand the ball and bust a gut to get on the end of crosses. 

Chrissie wants to stroll through a game. How many centre forwards playing today would have had zero shots? 

He needs to make thing ft happen not blame others.

Sadly I'm not sure Nugent is much better. I think Vydra is probably the best to play with Lawrence.

Martin has to recapture his desire if he's to fill that third slot.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Anag Ram said:

I am a fan of Martin's but he doesn't do himself any favours. Top centre forwards demand the ball and bust a gut to get on the end of crosses. 

Were there any crosses today? I thought I saw a tweet quoting a zero crosses stat.

29 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

He was demanding the ball, it's just nobody could string a series of passes together today. And what are you talking about 'bust a gut to get on the end of crosses'? You have to put crosses in for that to happen.

Martin the scapegoat 

Martin has more goals in the last 3 seasons than any other Championship striker 

Mac wanted him back and Fulham wanted him to stay for one reason - he is a goal scorer

Start looking at why he hasnt been able to contribute and play to his strengths

There are better players than Martin, i will admit that but strikers are as good as there service 

Stop going on what he has done and focus on what he's doing now....he never wins a header,always on the deck,and his control today was shocking...every team looking for promotion will have a striker with pace that puts fear into the opposition defence. Martin don't offer this,playing the formation we are doing requires pace and until we change him goals will be very few

Martin didn't have a chance today with the service and having no one near him. He's a quality player when we play to his strengths. If you're going to play 4-3-3 with Johnson and Butterfield then there is no point playing him. Play someone with pace.

That said 4-3-3 with Johnson and Butterfield doesn't work full stop. The midfield 3 was the cause of 80% of our problems today. 

When Martin gets a direct ball or the ball played to his feet, good things tend to happen. We spent too much of the game launching high hopeful balls up top, which he is absolutely useless with. The first time we played through the middle and got the ball to his feet, he played in Wiemann with a neat 1-2 to create a good chance. The problem is that in order to play on the floor you have to dominate the midfield and I don't see Butterfield and Johnson dominating anyone this season.

2 hours ago, kyle mccabe said:

Touch and tackle all game. I posted on here not long ago about how we lack pace and nobody to go over the top and got bombarded with messages on how wrong I am. Now tell me I'm wrong....

You're wrong. 

Why the heck would we need to drop Him? 

You all just now figuring out Martin Butterfield and Weimann are utter garbage? Saw the lineup and knew our only hope was superiority of tactics or motivation and Rowett offered neither it seems. Mcclaren stitched us up good by getting Martin to come back on a long term contract. And How smart were Wolves not to take Weimann on? He did very well by his own standards today but he would have hindered them. They're a team of better players. Butterfield was horrendously bad. We seem to want to keep our crap players forever / live in the Mcclaren past, and ditch the few good ones or not give the good young ones a chance. We were so far behind Wolves as a team that it was embarrassing, and Wolves although they have skill players, really weren't that good. We however made them look truly amazing.

We are becoming the new Ipswich Town. At least everyone now sees Butterfield and Martin for what they are and Weimann for the skill-less but tireless track runner that he is. Rowett will make changes Tuesday but team morale is already dropping as senior players yo yo in and out of the side. 

12 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You all just now figuring out Martin Butterfield and Weimann are utter garbage? Saw the lineup and knew our only hope was superiority of tactics or motivation and Rowett offered neither it seems. Mcclaren stitched us up good by getting Martin to come back on a long term contract. And How smart were Wolves not to take Weimann on? He did very well by his own standards today but he would have hindered them. They're a team of better players. Butterfield was horrendously bad. We seem to want to keep our crap players forever / live in the Mcclaren past, and ditch the few good ones or not give the good young ones a chance. We were so far behind Wolves as a team that it was embarrassing, and Wolves although they have skill players, really weren't that good. We however made them look truly amazing.

We are becoming the new Ipswich Town. At least everyone now sees Butterfield and Martin for what they are and Weimann for the skill-less but tireless track runner that he is. Rowett will make changes Tuesday but team morale is already dropping as senior players yo yo in and out of the side. 

Bet you had a semi when you read Martin didn't do much.

13 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I could go to town on that to be honest, but I'll limit myself to saying that we were unchanged from Sunderland, so the yo yo comment is bizarre.

1 hour ago, Saturn5 said:

Martin the scapegoat 

Martin has more goals in the last 3 seasons than any other Championship striker 

Mac wanted him back and Fulham wanted him to stay for one reason - he is a goal scorer

Start looking at why he hasnt been able to contribute and play to his strengths

There are better players than Martin, i will admit that but strikers are as good as there service 

Martin only has more goals than anyone else because anyone who's any good in the Championship tends to get a move to the Premier League. 

For what it's worth I didn't think Martin was bad today (a few nice layoffs, controlled some totally random hoofs well, and won free kicks) he just isn't a top striker and you can't build a whole team around one player who's really nothing special anyway. One system player and we blow playing that system. 

3 minutes ago, needles said:

I could go to town on that to be honest, but I'll limit myself to saying that we were unchanged from Sunderland, so the yo yo comment is bizarre.

I'm speaking to the upcoming changes ... as confirmed by Rowett post game 

Even if we play everything through Martin (which we shouldn't be doing) we still aren't good enough to get promoted. Martin at his absolute best was the Wembley year and we didn't do enough then, and he/the team has only gone backwards since then. 

He's been worked out by opposition and referees. Today he was only interested in trying to buy free kicks. 

Archived