Rowett raising the bar?

Rample

With Rowett supposedly saying we currently have a top 6 side, but 2 additions would make us a top 2 side has he raised the bar too high for himself.

There is a world of difference between landing 6th and being so strong and consistent to achieve automatic promotion.  

We spend sensibly on Wisdom, Davies and Huddlestone from the Christie & Hughes deals, maybe with a few more million available for a winger and top 6 is possibly achievable within those constraints.

Rowett decides he wants a further £10m (regardless of a reduction in squad size) and if he spends this he can transform us to a top 2 team, but how accountable does he become for that, and what pressure will be on him, particularly if we aren't top 2 by the turn of the year?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Rample said:

With Rowett supposedly saying we currently have a top 6 side, but 2 additions would make us a top 2 side has he raised the bar too high for himself.

There is a world of difference between landing 6th and being so strong and consistent to achieve automatic promotion.  

We spend sensibly on Wisdom, Davies and Huddlestone from the Christie & Hughes deals, maybe with a few more million available for a winger and top 6 is possibly achievable within those constraints.

Rowett decides he wants a further £10m (regardless of a reduction in squad size) and if he spends this he can transform us to a top 2 team, but how accountable does he become for that, and what pressure will be on him, particularly if we aren't top 2 by the turn of the year?

Too right! He should really have said avoiding relegation should be our number one priority, mid-table obscurity a bonus 

1 hour ago, Rample said:

Maybe he's trying to publicly showcase ambition to a potential signing (can't think who) in an effort to court them?

The Derby Telegraph have been conducting a poll over the last few days on where fans think we will finish - and it seems that by and large, Rams fans share Rowett's optimism regarding a top 6 finish

If we get that game changing signing in. A wide forward with some flair , who complents the graft of the other wide forward players then I personally think we can make the top two. I predict a season of some scrappy 1 and 2 nil wins and grinding the odd away draw out things we've failed to do over previous seasons. 

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

His statement could also be mind games towards Mel Morris. A little "if we get two more players we can be top 2" could purely be in a bid for Mel to spend a little more to get that extra quality 

Geez, if that is true and their relationship is already at the level of mind games via the media, then we're in deep trouble already.

For the record, not only do I hope (desperately) that you're wrong, I think you must be (despite my past criticisms of Mel re managers, etc.)

Mel may panic and interfere but he'd have to be borderline psychotic if he's not giving GR all he wants...surely?

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Very few miss 40% unless you can advise me differently.

Show me those stats - when Fulham were missing loads they put stats up which showed no taker had that great a success percentage ie average was about 60% inc Martin

3 hours ago, eddie said:

The Derby Telegraph have been conducting a poll over the last few days on where fans think we will finish - and it seems that by and large, Rams fans share Rowett's optimism regarding a top 6 finish

The same fans saying "get rid of the lot of them" a few months ago.

Archived