Rowett raising the bar?

Rample

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I like his confidence, which I hope will rub off on to the players. I just hope he isn't under any false illusions - we are no top six side as it currently stands. 

Correct. Mid table at best. I sadly see us going past the transfer window with no new additions.

For the first time in a number of years I'm going into this season with little enthusiasm.

I think it's been noticeable in the last couple of days that a few of the players have been talking about automatic promotion.

Nugent: fight for the championship title

Hudds: aiming for automatic promotion

Bryson: missing piece of the jigsaw. Not predicting it, but at least talking about it.

On the whole I thing it's a good thing to be aiming high, not simply trying/hoping to sneak into the playoffs.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

All penalty takers miss, unless you know of 100%ers?

England are right at the bottom of the statistics in penalty shootouts, the worst nation in football. I think it partly stems from the attitude that penalty shootouts are some sort of lottery and you can't train/prepare for them. The rest of the world laughs at this attitude and prepares rather better than us.

Derby's record at spotkicks is so very poor I suspect it's something the same, with penalties a bit of an afterthought. Having seen three missed in pre-seasoin (Elsnik hit the post with one for the U23s) I hope Rowett moves quickly to do something about it. Asanovic was indeed probably the last Derby taker with a very good technique.

7 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

His statement could also be mind games towards Mel Morris. A little "if we get two more players we can be top 2" could purely be in a bid for Mel to spend a little more to get that extra quality 

That was my thought too.

Well we were a mid table side last season with both a Hughes and Ince in it. He has improved the defence, but the issues we had last seadon were not really defensive issues. 

So unless he is getting at least 2 better players than Ince and Hughes, I don't see us being anywhere near a top 2 side, but you never know.

9 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

Geez, if that is true and their relationship is already at the level of mind games via the media, then we're in deep trouble already.

For the record, not only do I hope (desperately) that you're wrong, I think you must be (despite my past criticisms of Mel re managers, etc.)

Mel may panic and interfere but he'd have to be borderline psychotic if he's not giving GR all he wants...surely?

I disagree. All I was intimating that he might just be planting the seed in Mel's mind. Mel might be fully on side but reticent, due to past expensive purchasing disasters 

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

England are right at the bottom of the statistics in penalty shootouts, the worst nation in football. I think it partly stems from the attitude that penalty shootouts are some sort of lottery and you can't train/prepare for them. The rest of the world laughs at this attitude and prepares rather better than us.

Derby's record at spotkicks is so very poor I suspect it's something the same, with penalties a bit of an afterthought. Having seen three missed in pre-seasoin (Elsnik hit the post with one for the U23s) I hope Rowett moves quickly to do something about it. Asanovic was indeed probably the last Derby taker with a very good technique.

Interesting though is it not that even though we are supposedly so bad at penalties (which I agree with) in my 15-20 years of following Derby, sat in my chair this morning, before I go to work off the top of my head (deep research) I can't recall us ever losing a penalty shoot out?!

Im sure somebody on here will correct me though.....

3 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Interesting though is it not that even though we are supposedly so bad at penalties (which I agree with) in my 15-20 years of following Derby, sat in my chair this morning, before I go to work off the top of my head (deep research) I can't recall us ever losing a penalty shoot out?!

Im sure somebody on here will correct me though.....

Scunthorpe in the league cup 2012. We lost on penalties after giving away a 3-0 lead to finish the match 5-5. Lost 6-7 on penalties 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think it's been noticeable in the last couple of days that a few of the players have been talking about automatic promotion.

Nugent: fight for the championship title

Hudds: aiming for automatic promotion

Bryson: missing piece of the jigsaw. Not predicting it, but at least talking about it.

On the whole I thing it's a good thing to be aiming high, not simply trying/hoping to sneak into the playoffs.

Seems like team meeting and their goals for this season are set...

If this team wouldn't target for promotion, might as well quit playing.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

England are right at the bottom of the statistics in penalty shootouts, the worst nation in football...

Derby's record at spotkicks is so very poor I suspect it's something the same, with penalties a bit of an afterthought.

Quote your stats. Or have you just pulled that out of thin air?

Here: Why are so many penalties being missed across Europe? (19th Oct. 2016)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/19/why-are-so-many-penalties-being-missed-across-europe/

In fact, only 71 per cent of penalties have been scored so far - the lowest such rate in any season since 2001/02.

And this is a trend across Europe, too. The Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga are all experiencing their lowest penalty conversion rates in recent years - each one lower than that of the Premier League.

So what are the stats on Derby penalty takers - not just the last one they took!?!

Within his first few weeks of his appointment last season, Rowett talked about top two and that was his mandate as Derby manager.

Over the summer Rowett said if Ince went he would be replaced with a 'top top' quality replacement.

Well, we've sold our best two offensive players especially for creativity. They have not been replaced. As it stands today, you're not going to achieve your first aim and you've lied on your second one. (Caveat - I agree he has a few weeks left of the transfer window and this could change).

I don't think the results will come and I think the football will not be 'entertaining' enough for Mel. I see us around 10th in the league - grinding out victories but also failing to score in games and conceding sloppy goals here and there.

My final prediction - I don't think Rowett will be here at the end of the season. I don't think he is attractive enough to get the big players in we need to push us on.

57 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Well, we've sold our best two offensive players especially for creativity.

Hughes wasn't getting a game towards the end of the season, and we've (money-wise) swapped him for Wisdom, Davies and Huddlestone, and we've got Chris Martin back. Our biggest miss over the last few years has been....drum roll.....George Thorne. He's been covered/complemented/replaced, Keogh has a reliable partner either side of him, and we've got our "20 goals a season 3 seasons in a row" focal point back, who brings all these front men into play.

Ince, I can certainly see your point and we all know they're working towards getting his replacement in.

4 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I disagree. All I was intimating that he might just be planting the seed in Mel's mind. Mel might be fully on side but reticent, due to past expensive purchasing disasters 

Believe me, this is one where I'm hoping local knowledge is giving you a better read (I know you're not asserting it is true).

But, were it the case, couldn't GR have planted it in Mel in private?

I like what he says but I don't think we are a top 6 side at the moment, simply because we have removed our most potent attacking player and even with him we weren't a top six side. We're not far off though. A better attacking wide man might well make the difference, two certainly will and yes, that should make us a top six side, but not as it stands. Too weak on the flanks for me. 

However, GR is making all the right noises.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

I like what he says but I don't think we are a top 6 side at the moment, simply because we have removed our most potent attacking player and even with him we weren't a top six side. We're not far off though. A better attacking wide man might well make the difference, two certainly will and yes, that should make us a top six side, but not as it stands. Too weak on the flanks for me. 

However, GR is making all the right noises.

We haven't tho have we,Martin is our most potent attacking player....we won't be happy if he just scored as many goals as ince last year

We might make top 6

huddersfield only scored 56 last season, and sheff wed 60

i think we might score around that number.

i,d be surprised though if we managed the 74 and 85 scored by the top two.

Archived