Sheyi Ojo joined Fulham on loan

DcFc Dyycheee

51 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

My thoughts exactly on the whole Bennett ojo situation . Why develop a player for someone else's benefit when we've got someone of possible equal potential to develop for ourselves. 

If it's true I guess GW sees Ojo as someone that will contribute more to the team over the course of the season than Bennett. That might be 3 assists and 2 goals, but could be the difference between play offs and not, promotion or not.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

My thoughts exactly on the whole Bennett ojo situation . Why develop a player for someone else's benefit when we've got someone of possible equal potential to develop for ourselves. 

But Ojo is more of a winger than Bennett isn't he? I don't see Bennett filling in the wide role that Ince played. We need a winger who has real pace and some goals in him. We basically need a quality replacement for Ince, if Ojo doesn't fit the bill, fine, but a wide player is my priority now in terms of a signing....

9 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

The more I think about it the more I realise that he may choose us. Derby is closer to Liverpool where all his family will presumably be. Middlesbrough (no offense) hasn't really got anything there, except maybe promotion. Fulham is London so I could understand if he went there, but will they get promoted?

Both Boro and Fuham can argue strongly that they can offer a better chance of promotion than Derby. I don't think living near his family is an issue as he will have to live wherever he is playing. If anything it's more likely to come down to the amount of game time he is offered.

I don't know enough about him to have a view about whether he would be a good signing or not, but unless we can offer him more time on the pitch than the others, there isn't anything we can offer him that's better than the other two. I guess it will just come down to personal choice and his gut feeling.

Is the better chance of promotion really something he or Liverpool will be that bothered about in this decision? It's a loan so regardless of whether the team he joins wins promotion or not he will be going back to Liverpool.

Personally think this will be down to playing time + location.

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But Ojo is more of a winger than Bennett isn't he? I don't see Bennett filling in the wide role that Ince played. We need a winger who has real pace and some goals in him. We basically need a quality replacement for Ince, if Ojo doesn't fit the bill, fine, but a wide player is my priority now in terms of a signing....

Ojos' goal return in his 30-odd senior appearances suggest he's not likely to be a goal scorer - more like Ibe rather than Ince but I'm not convinced we necessarily need to replace Inces' goals contribution. If we sign a wide player who can create through pace and an ability to find a team mate with a final pass, then goals can come from the likes of Martin, Nugent and Vydra together with attacking midfielders.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I'd say there both wide forwards aren't they ? In all fairness I don't know an awful lot about Ojo but is he really going to be much better than Bennett ? If we're signing a wide player imo he needs to be a game changer ! 

11 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

The more I think about it the more I realise that he may choose us. Derby is closer to Liverpool where all his family will presumably be. Middlesbrough (no offense) hasn't really got anything there, except maybe promotion. Fulham is London so I could understand if he went there, but will they get promoted?

He is from Hertfordshire and born in Hemel Hempstead so if it came too location then Fulham would be top of his list.However it seems it will come to playing time and Liverpool will have the final say like they did with Ibe because Derby was not his first choice.

28 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'd say there both wide forwards aren't they ? In all fairness I don't know an awful lot about Ojo but is he really going to be much better than Bennett ? If we're signing a wide player imo he needs to be a game changer ! 

Totally agree...Ince was probably the only game changer we had and we need another one...

34 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Why are we assuming Bennett would be the one to lose game time if Ojo came BTW?

If Bennett is good enough to improve the squad then he should be considered alongside Blackman, Anya, Weimann and Russell - As should the consideration of Ojo

Rowett has said he wants variation in the types of winger we have - And I don't see Bennett being much different in style to Weimann or Blackman (pick up the ball deep and run with it)

55 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Why are we assuming Bennett would be the one to lose game time if Ojo came BTW?

If Bennett is good enough to improve the squad then he should be considered alongside Blackman, Anya, Weimann and Russell - As should the consideration of Ojo

Rowett has said he wants variation in the types of winger we have - And I don't see Bennett being much different in style to Weimann or Blackman (pick up the ball deep and run with it)

My point was that I think along with improving the team Bennett also needs to develop, aswell as Ojo. My thoughts would be to play a more of an experienced winger / wide forward along with Bennett , I think he will have influence on games but we still that proven quality in there. 

44 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

If we buy Lawrence (or another winger on his level) I would prefer us to persevere with Bennett until Christmas, at least.

This guy is good, but we could benefit from developing our own talent.

I would like us to play whoever GR thinks is best for that position and system to get us out of this division.

If that's not Bennett I wont be bothered he should only play if he's better than what others we have.

28 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

My point was that I think along with improving the team Bennett also needs to develop, aswell as Ojo. My thoughts would be to play a more of an experienced winger / wide forward along with Bennett , I think he will have influence on games but we still that proven quality in there. 

It would be nice to help Bennett develop - But if it's at the cost of weakening the team then we can't afford to - There are too many teams in this league who are going to be challenging for promotion for us to weaken our team in the short term

It's simple for me - Our main squad should be our best 4 wingers - If we think Ojo would be in that then sign him up - If Bennett is in that 4 then great! If not he's an able backup if 2/3 wingers get injured

It's so frustrating that when it is clear to most of us that he winger positions are now he weak link in our team - nothing has yet been done.

Two weeks tomorrow we will have our first game and with the current options we have no one to exploit in behind, no one with creativity (Hudds can pass but he's not creative) and no one with pace. Short of two signings, we are in for a long season.

Just now, rammieib said:

Two weeks tomorrow we will have our first game and with the current options we have no one to exploit in behind, no one with creativity (Hudds can pass but he's not creative) and no one with pace. Short of two signings, we are in for a long season.

Just watched the highlights from the Port Vale game and almost every chance we had was from players getting in behind their defence...

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It's so frustrating that when it is clear to most of us that he winger positions are now he weak link in our team - nothing has yet been done.

I imagine stuff will be trying to get sorted . I think that's what we have got ! Pace ! Weimann , Russell and Blackman all have pace in abundance.

Archived