Sheyi Ojo joined Fulham on loan

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

It's so frustrating that when it is clear to most of us that he winger positions are now he weak link in our team - nothing has yet been done.

Two weeks tomorrow we will have our first game and with the current options we have no one to exploit in behind, no one with creativity (Hudds can pass but he's not creative) and no one with pace. Short of two signings, we are in for a long season.

I don't see this at all, we have plenty to be very competitive ( and quick) in the wide positions but we are clearly trying to improve on those options but nobody wants to see us spend loads of money on someone who hardly improves us. Now I would like to see someone for central midfield who has a bit of added quality in the creative department but they don't grow on trees and again we are very functional in central midfield and yes I think we will finish in the top four 

Why the obsession with having two out-and-out wingers?

Sir Alf won a World Cup with none, and the great Derby side of the 70s just had Gladys.

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I don't see this at all, we have plenty to be very competitive ( and quick) in the wide positions but we are clearly trying to improve on those options but nobody wants to see us spend loads of money on someone who hardly improves us. Now I would like to see someone for central midfield who has a bit of added quality in the creative department but they don't grow on trees and again we are very functional in central midfield and yes I think we will finish in the top four 

Of course I only want signings who are significantly better. My point is we've got worse in this department.

No one left on the squad from the wingers has displayed any evidence for me in the last 2-3 years that they can get close to delivering what Ince gave us.

I would love to be wrong but if we line up with Russell and Weimann on opening day I'll be really disappointed.

34 minutes ago, eddie said:

Why the obsession with having two out-and-out wingers?

Sir Alf won a World Cup with none, and the great Derby side of the 70s just had Gladys.

I don't think anyone actually means out and out wingers, just putting winger instead of a wide forward is easier. Don't think any of the suggestions are out and out wingers of old.

lawrence, Jota, toral etc are all AM/F-RLC as far as I can tell so are creative, can score and play anywhere along the forward 3 

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Just watched the highlights from the Port Vale game and almost every chance we had was from players getting in behind their defence...

A) i hope Port Vale isn't your barometer for success

B) If you think relying on the players who have pretty much failed to deliver on a Derby shirt (have failed if you use Ince's numbers as the benchmark) then I just simply believe we are in trouble.

The fact we are clearly after winger(s) also tells me that Rowett knows they are not good enough.

Use the the previous three years as your benchmark, not the previous three pre season matches.

And Blackman has pace? Wowsers.

9 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Out of curiosity what is the benchmark for goals and assists for a winger?

It's very debatable, depends what the winger is there to do and isnt the ultimate judge of how good a player is.

With that said for a player of over a full season I'd use these as rough benchmarks for goals + assists:

20+: Top Championship player

15-19: Very good 

10-14: Good

5-9: ok 

0-4: not good enough 

I'd stress though there are other considerations such as chances created, successfully dribbles, passing accuracy etc.... that you'd want to consider 

54 minutes ago, rammieib said:

A) i hope Port Vale isn't your barometer for success

B) If you think relying on the players who have pretty much failed to deliver on a Derby shirt (have failed if you use Ince's numbers as the benchmark) then I just simply believe we are in trouble.

The fact we are clearly after winger(s) also tells me that Rowett knows they are not good enough.

Use the the previous three years as your benchmark, not the previous three pre season matches.

And Blackman has pace? Wowsers.

Wow - You read a lot into one fairly simple sentence

We have players who can exploit space - We've never played that deep before now, we've always played a much higher attack - And there are several highlights in that video showing people doing it - That was my entire statement

Ojo learnt the arts of being a professional football by none other than listening to the infamous music record "Dancing Queen" by Abba. Sources close to the player say that Ojo always plays this record pre-matches to practice his dance moves which helps his balance during matches. Such moves also help strengthen the tendon rupture to reduce the risk of injury.

Find out more at: Interestingfootballerfacts.com

Archived