For size of city, are we one of the best supported clubs in England?

Jimbo Ram

25 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I'm going to get pedantic now but the smallest town with a Premier League club is Stretford, population 37.500, home to Manchester Utd. Now if you're wanting to get ultra pedantic West Ham is an area of East London population 15,000. However with their move from Upton Park (Boleyn Ground)  to the Olympic stadium they now play in Stratford population 51,000.

Middlesbrough maybe a little smaller than Derby but on the other side of the river, a stone's throw away. you have the towns of Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees. Thornaby-on-Tees etc (Thornaby's actually on the same side as Middlesbrough)  The metropolitan borough of Stockon-on-Tees which includes all these towns has a population of 238,000. The Redcar & Cleveland district has a population of 135,000. Add in Middlesbrough's population of 175,000 and you're looking at a population well in excess of 500,000

As Forest play in the town of West Bridgford, population 47,000, you could argue they are well supported. 

The originator of this topic makes the basic error of thinking that all Derby County season ticket holders / supporters come from Derby which is quite clearly nonsense. I once heard a Middlesbrough fan spouting the same drivel. Divide our attendances by our population bla bla bla. So you get no fans from Stockton, Redcar, Billingham , North Yorkshire, Darlington etc?

I think you are making the basic error that Derby are the only club who have fans outside of the city of the club....it is the same for all clubs. Your self righteous, derogatory tone is slightly annoying too.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I'm going to get pedantic now but the smallest town with a Premier League club is Stretford, population 37.500, home to Manchester Utd. Now if you're wanting to get ultra pedantic West Ham is an area of East London population 15,000. However with their move from Upton Park (Boleyn Ground)  to the Olympic stadium they now play in Stratford population 51,000.

Middlesbrough maybe a little smaller than Derby but on the other side of the river, a stone's throw away. you have the towns of Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees. Thornaby-on-Tees etc (Thornaby's actually on the same side as Middlesbrough)  The metropolitan borough of Stockon-on-Tees which includes all these towns has a population of 238,000. The Redcar & Cleveland district has a population of 135,000. Add in Middlesbrough's population of 175,000 and you're looking at a population well in excess of 500,000

As Forest play in the town of West Bridgford, population 47,000, you could argue they are well supported. 

The originator of this topic makes the basic error of thinking that all Derby County season ticket holders / supporters come from Derby which is quite clearly nonsense. I once heard a Middlesbrough fan spouting the same drivel. Divide our attendances by our population bla bla bla. So you get no fans from Stockton, Redcar, Billingham , North Yorkshire, Darlington etc?

Agree entirely but to be mega pedantic, Green Street has always historically been the boundary between West Ham and East Ham. And the Boleyn Ground lay in East Ham not West Ham. :p

On 16/07/2017 at 10:26, blackNwhites said:

Burnley has a population of about 80000, and an average of about 20000 attendance. Don't know what their season ticket population is/.

Not bad thought is it, 25%.

I believe they are top of the pops for this stat

28 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Lol lol lol. Takes a bow to your East End of London knowledge. So all this time it should have been East Ham United?

To be exact the Boleyn Ground lay in Upton Park which was split between the two Hams. I lived in East Ham for a few years before moving to posh, leafy Woodford Green when I could afford it (couldn't afford it now)

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:06, Ramos said:

Having lived in west bridgford its not actually nottingham, if you look at nottinghams urban area, it includes places like long eaton, ilkeston and heanor which are all in derbyshire. Never made any sense to me and im sure people in heanor dont say they live in nottingham. 

Its like saying borrowash, hilton, draycott, swad, risley are all part of derbys population when they arent. 

Having lived in various places in nottingham, you come across a lot more derby fans then you would think.  

Heanor is Derbyshire. and don't mean in just the geographical and political sense I mean in culture and heartbeat.

On 7/16/2017 at 14:06, Ramos said:

Having lived in west bridgford its not actually nottingham, if you look at nottinghams urban area, it includes places like long eaton, ilkeston and heanor which are all in derbyshire. Never made any sense to me and im sure people in heanor dont say they live in nottingham. 

Its like saying borrowash, hilton, draycott, swad, risley are all part of derbys population when they arent. 

Having lived in various places in nottingham, you come across a lot more derby fans then you would think.  

I live in Notts and there are half a dozen Derby fans within 100yd radius of my house.

2 hours ago, AlfretonRam84 said:

When i was at college in Chesterfield if you supported Derby you was considered a glory supporter by a lot of people I came across, although Sheffield Weds/United fans are fine, along with man utd etc

I'm from Chesterfield and it's quite frankly mind boggling that we get labelled this. There's not been much glory in my lifetime watching the Rams! 

Lots of Sheff United fans in town though, more likely to see the Sheffield clubs' shirts than your are a Derby one. The village I'm in is mainly Chesterfield/Mansfield. Probably more Forest than Derby too which is rather unfortunate. 

2 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Ok you've got me in geek mode. If you're not a geek look away now. Let's look at the county. A fair few bits of the county will not be Derby supporting areas. For the purposes of this analysis we will ignore glory hunting Man U supporters. 

City of Derby - population 240,000 - to all extents and purposes you'd expect Derby to have this 100% in the bag

South Derbyshire - population 100,000. - you're going to get a few Burton fans from the villages and there's a few in Swad that support Leicester or Burton- Derby 85 - 90% of this territory in the bag.

Erewash - population 114,000. probably about 50% Derby and 50% Forest. Ilkeston and Long Eaton accounting for the bulk of this population are closer to Nottingham

Amber Valley - population 124,000. a fair few Forest fans lurking here. Rough guesstimate 70% Derby 30% Forest

Derbyshire Dales - population 71,000. Another guesstimate: 70% Derby 30% Chesterfield.

North East Derbyshire - population 100,000 - Real difficult one to guesstimate on. The towns of Dronfield, Eckington and KIllamarsh lying on the edge of Sheffield - Ok I'm here to be shot at - guesstimate: Sheffield clubs 50%, Chesterfield 30%, Derby 20%

Bolsover - 75,000 - Like North East Derbyshire difficult to guesstimate. Wild guess: Sheffield clubs 45%, Chesterfield 38% ,Derby 15%, Mansfield 2%

Borough of Chesterfield - population 100,000 Another difficult one. Struggling here, it needs someone with north of the county knowledge. Chesterfield 65% Sheffield clubs 25%, Derby 10%

High Peak - population 91,000 - Guesstimate with not a lot of conviction. Manchester clubs 90% Derby 10%.

Add in dribs and drabs from East staffordshire and North West Leicestershire. Might be more than dribs and drabs from Burton but will we have lost a fair few from Burton due to Burton Albion' rise in the league?

For those of you who will point out fans from the rest of the country, London, the South etc this will be more than equalised by the scores of glory hunting fans within our own county.

Excellent post, fine work Smithy (Taverny)

As Cloughie once said Derby is a football town. Considering the population and the natural graphics and road net works of the county. We certainly pull our wieght.

i live  approx 60 miles away south of Stockport and can get almost any bloody where in the country quicker by car than i can to Derby.

People mentioning a lot of place's have several teams in the same city which dilutes followers. However we have the florist,Leicester, Burton, on our door step and a few more within an hours commute .

Considering our last 20 years of footballing history I think our fan base punches way above its weight in comparison to most other clubs and our home attendance's put some premier league clubs in an embarrassing light.

Congratulations to all our supporters ,half fans an all.

We are Derby super Rams.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Where is Derby?

Hopefully from the start of the season to the end of the season.

We're top of the league, we're top of the league.

We're Derby County we're top of the league.

10 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Was in Heanor a few years back. I used to see this huge Forest flag draped from one of the upstairs windows in, I think it was Ray Street. Very provocative.

Yes unfortunately every village has it's idiot.

18 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I'm an STH from Ipswich and there are several of those here so it's all a difficult equation to calculate

15 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I'm from Chesterfield and it's quite frankly mind boggling that we get labelled this. There's not been much glory in my lifetime watching the Rams! 

Lots of Sheff United fans in town though, more likely to see the Sheffield clubs' shirts than your are a Derby one. The village I'm in is mainly Chesterfield/Mansfield. Probably more Forest than Derby too which is rather unfortunate. 

The village I'm in is mostly Forest, a few mansfield and even a handful of Alfreton Town fans, and of course a few rams. Although to be honest i'm right on the border of Derbys/Notts so not too surprising.

Archived