For size of city, are we one of the best supported clubs in England?

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are a one club city though.

What would Brum be like without Villa. 

Even Notts County eat away at Forest's potential support. 

The only argument I don't think works is the Leicester one that they lose fans to Leicester Tigers. If Derby County packed up then I wouldn't go and spend a few hundred quid and 2 hours per week going to watch Cricket, Rugby or rounders. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

The only argument I don't think works is the Leicester one that they lose fans to Leicester Tigers. If Derby County packed up then I wouldn't go and spend a few hundred quid and 2 hours per week going to watch Cricket, Rugby or rounders. 

Well we have Burton 10 mins down the road, Chesterfield not far away and the former European Champions within a stones throw....

Nottingham population of 320,000

15,000 go and watch Forest when the smack heads are sufficiently chemically induced to do so.

Just shows the dangers of hard drugs.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think this is a great pity. Does it not increase your interest if you are watching something an you find out the athlete is from Derby? Do you not want them to win just that little bit more.

I want all athletes and teams from Derby to win, and would spend my money watching them do so. Derbyshire CCC, Derby RUFC, Derby Storm (when they were around), Athletes, Swimmers, Cyclists..... Imagine a truly successful sporting City where we all got behind it.

I guess it depends on whether you are a sports fan or a football fan

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Well we have Burton 10 mins down the road, Chesterfield not far away and the former European Champions within a stones throw....

I think Chesterfield is far enough to have its own fan base. I don't think of them as Derby people. Even Burton is sort of outside our city walls but yeah, they take some. Some cities have clubs in the same urban sprawl. 

Forest and Notts County must have fans crossing each other's paths far more frequently than Derby and Burton. 

A Derby man will tend to support Derby. But a Nottingham man i'd say would go with who mates and family support. There's no real influence like that here. No club really pushes in on our people. You'd have to leave city limits to surround yourself with another clubs fans

2 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

Burnley has a population of about 80000, and an average of about 20000 attendance. Don't know what their season ticket population is/.

Not bad thought is it, 25%.

I seem to recall that, when this is calculated per capita, Burnley is one of the best-supported clubs in the country. 

14 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

I think this is a great pity. Does it not increase your interest if you are watching something an you find out the athlete is from Derby? Do you not want them to win just that little bit more.

I want all athletes and teams from Derby to win, and would spend my money watching them do so. Derbyshire CCC, Derby RUFC, Derby Storm (when they were around), Athletes, Swimmers, Cyclists..... Imagine a truly successful sporting City where we all got behind it.

I guess it depends on whether you are a sports fan or a football fan

It increases my interest in them and their competition.

But I probably wouldn't go and become a 'fan'. The argument Leicester use it that their attendances are affected by Rugby. Would a Rugby fan start going to Leicester games every week if the Tigers weren't an option? I'm not sure they would.

If Derby County didn't exist then I'd probably seek out another football club rather than another sport. You'd have to ask the Leicester Tigers forum I guess. Would they really put a big increase of Leicesters gates if the Rugby stopped

If you said this was about Derby and their County, I would agree with you. I think the city fans underestimate the number of us that are from the county of Derbyshire that are season ticket holders. I am sure the club know this from their records.

The population of city/county combined is about a million. You can discount a few from the northern end, but add back in the East Staffs and Notts borders supporters.

Archived