For size of city, are we one of the best supported clubs in England?

Jimbo Ram

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I think Chesterfield is far enough to have its own fan base. I don't think of them as Derby people. Even Burton is sort of outside our city walls but yeah, they take some. Some cities have clubs in the same urban sprawl. 

Forest and Notts County must have fans crossing each other's paths far more frequently than Derby and Burton. 

A Derby man will tend to support Derby. But a Nottingham man i'd say would go with who mates and family support. There's no real influence like that here. No club really pushes in on our people. You'd have to leave city limits to surround yourself with another clubs fans

I live in Chesterfield and I have visited the Prozac Stadium on a few occasions. Believe me when I say I will not be ditching Derby for the Spireites any time soon. I know hundreds of Derby fans from around the Derbyshire Dales and Amber Valley area. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby as a city has a small population compared to Notts, Leicester, even Stoke-on-Trent, Notts total urban pop is huge, close to 700,000 when all the estates outside the city environs are counted, Stoke (with Newcastle-under-Lyme included) is about 100,000 bigger than Derby so that sort of negates the fact they have Port Vale in their midst....

From memory, Sunderland and Burnley are the two highest population-support ratio.

Burton have a similar population to Burnley

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

I live in Chesterfield and I have visited the Prozac Stadium on a few occasions. Believe me when I say I will not be ditching Derby for the Spireites any time soon. I know hundreds of Derby fans from around the Derbyshire Dales and Amber Valley area. 

There's some odd bits of geography come into play round abouts the county as well - I recall RIpley being all DCFC but a proportion of Forest round Alfreton (but the train line there runs Sheffield to Nottingham).

2 hours ago, Gritters said:

I'm from Chesterfield too & have always been a Ram. There are quite a few us in the north of our great county actually 

Derby folk may not like this & probably think I'm talking twaddle but I seriously believe the support of Derby COUNTY is a 50/50 split between those living within the city boundaries & the rest of us, the majority of which live in Derbyshire 

Don't forget our original name was Derbyshire County FC

We're not really a city club are we.

Derby COUNTY, originally to be called Derbyshire County FC represents the whole county.

I would hazard a guess that at least 75% of our fans have never lived in Derby city, me included.

57 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Yeah Nottingham has Carlton and Gedling then add Rushcliff/West Bridgford, Beeston and the trams go up to Hucknall that is a big population.

Having lived in west bridgford its not actually nottingham, if you look at nottinghams urban area, it includes places like long eaton, ilkeston and heanor which are all in derbyshire. Never made any sense to me and im sure people in heanor dont say they live in nottingham. 

Its like saying borrowash, hilton, draycott, swad, risley are all part of derbys population when they arent. 

Having lived in various places in nottingham, you come across a lot more derby fans then you would think.  

4 minutes ago, Ramos said:

Having lived in west bridgford its not actually nottingham, if you look at nottinghams urban area, it includes places like long eaton, ilkeston and heanor which are all in derbyshire. Never made any sense to me and im sure people in heanor dont say they live in nottingham. 

Its like saying borrowash, hilton, draycott, swad, risley are all part of derbys population when they arent. 

Having lived in various places in nottingham, you come across a lot more derby fans then you would think.  

I briefly lived in West Bridgford a few years ago and you're right, it's not Nottingham. Stroll across the Bridge and into the Meadows if you want a true reflection................

17 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I briefly lived in West Bridgford a few years ago and you're right, it's not Nottingham. Stroll across the Bridge and into the Meadows if you want a true reflection................

I ended up living in forest fields, and jesus the areas around there, hyson green, sherwood, arnold, aspley, i know derby has a few rough parts but those places were shocking. Having lived in mickleover and now basically on pride park, id take them anyday. Im sure nottingham has nicer parts, but you genuinely have to go outside the actual city bounds it would seem to find them. 

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

I ended up living in forest fields, and jesus the areas around there, hyson green, sherwood, arnold, aspley, i know derby has a few rough parts but those places were shocking. Having lived in mickleover and now basically on pride park, id take them anyday. Im sure nottingham has nicer parts, but you genuinely have to go outside the actual city bounds it would seem to find them. 

Lol errrr. ... Mickleover or Nice 'n' Clean? St. Annes is my favourite apparently there was a Well there somewhere. 

On 7/16/2017 at 10:06, Alpha said:

We are a one club city though.

What would Brum be like without Villa. 

Even Notts County eat away at Forest's potential support. 

The only argument I don't think works is the Leicester one that they lose fans to Leicester Tigers. If Derby County packed up then I wouldn't go and spend a few hundred quid and 2 hours per week going to watch Cricket, Rugby or rounders. 

if derby packed in i def wouldnt go for florist even though i have lived there. another hobby and follow england only. once a ram in my blood. i think in this leaugh  we must be one of the tops and have been for years.

21 hours ago, Ramos said:

You're forgetting The Park area beside the castle, I used to live around there for a few years and it was very very nice.. I would have to admit it was better than the area where i grew up when i was a kid Shelton Lock lol

On 16/07/2017 at 11:27, angieram said:

If you said this was about Derby and their County, I would agree with you. I think the city fans underestimate the number of us that are from the county of Derbyshire that are season ticket holders. I am sure the club know this from their records.

The population of city/county combined is about a million. You can discount a few from the northern end, but add back in the East Staffs and Notts borders supporters.

Spot on yours and subsequent posts about the county.

Unless you're Bradley Johnson, Derby have always been known as a County club, grew up with loads from South Derbys/East Staffs following the Rams, Burton were always that little club down the road and always will be.

Relative to their population, which are the best supported football clubs in England?

George Johnson,

Answered Dec 22, 2016

The smallest town with a Premier League club is Burnley, with a population of 73,021, and Burnley FC have an average attendance of 20,092 for Premier League matches. This is equivalent to 27.5% of the town turning out for each match.

Contrast this with Manchester United, who despite having by far the highest average attendance of 75,284 (more than the entire town of Burnley!), reside in a city of 514,414 and a wider urban area of 2,553,379. Assuming we limit the catchment area of the club to the city boundaries, this still gives only 14.9% of the residents turning out for each game, and to treat the club as a representative of Greater Manchester as a whole, only 2.9% of the residents attend each game. That is of course making a leap in assuming that Manchester United fans actually live in Manchester!

https://www.quora.com/Relative-to-their-population-which-are-the-best-supported-football-clubs-in-England#

On 16/07/2017 at 10:26, blackNwhites said:

Burnley has a population of about 80000, and an average of about 20000 attendance. Don't know what their season ticket population is/.

Not bad thought is it, 25%.

Seem to remember massive crowds in their glory days in the late 1950s. Just found this on Wikipedia

The current capacity is 21,800 all seated. Post-World War I crowds in the stadium averaged in the 30,000–40,000 range with the record attendance set in 1924 against Huddersfield Town in a FA Cup match when 54,755 attended the match.

13 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

I'm going to get pedantic now but the smallest town with a Premier League club is Stretford, population 37.500, home to Manchester Utd. Now if you're wanting to get ultra pedantic West Ham is an area of East London population 15,000. However with their move from Upton Park (Boleyn Ground)  to the Olympic stadium they now play in Stratford population 51,000.

Middlesbrough maybe a little smaller than Derby but on the other side of the river, a stone's throw away. you have the towns of Billingham, Stockton-on-Tees. Thornaby-on-Tees etc (Thornaby's actually on the same side as Middlesbrough)  The metropolitan borough of Stockon-on-Tees which includes all these towns has a population of 238,000. The Redcar & Cleveland district has a population of 135,000. Add in Middlesbrough's population of 175,000 and you're looking at a population well in excess of 500,000

As Forest play in the town of West Bridgford, population 47,000, you could argue they are well supported. 

The originator of this topic makes the basic error of thinking that all Derby County season ticket holders / supporters come from Derby which is quite clearly nonsense. I once heard a Middlesbrough fan spouting the same drivel. Divide our attendances by our population bla bla bla. So you get no fans from Stockton, Redcar, Billingham , North Yorkshire, Darlington etc?

So, are you going to answer the original poster ? 

Archived