Grant Leadbitter

Topram

3 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

One of the comments

I remember arguing with a few people on here that he wasn't quick enough, that he took four touches when a first-time pass would do; in essence, that he slowed the tempo down too much. Maybe that's true; he, like most of the players who got us promoted, never looked like coping with the step up in standard and intensity (In his defence, he spent the first half of the season injured.)

What's also true is that he's calm under pressure. He leads. He wins tackles and tries to pass judiciously. He's a good set piece taker - he'll set up 8-10 goals a season in the Championship from free-kicks and corners - and nerveless from penalties.

I hope we keep him.

Reminds me of someone.

No mention of the word sideways...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dava75 said:

Would be very happy with this. Leadbitter and Clayton absolutely controlled midfield in their promotion season. Riverside away that season was men against boys (in Midfield battle) and the men won easily! I'd happily park him next to Thorne (if fit) in a 4-2-3-1!!

that's not how I remember it. We were in the game until Clement made an attacking substitution, and, by his own admission, threw the game away.

1 minute ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Am I being gready wanting lead bitter and Huddleston as 2 holding  mids next season :) 

What about Thorne? 

5 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Him aswell but can't see him being fit for the start of the season and no point risking until he is fit.

Fair comment. ?

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

But would leave Johnson, Butterfield and Brsyon without roles... And I think the key to a good push is going to be the mix of established players and new ones

On the basis we know that we've made around 10 queries for players (from what Rowett says) I would imagine we're after 1 midfielder - And it doesn't seem shocking that we'd make enquiries about any of these guys

I don't see those players as holding players. Bryson box to box and BJ and Butters are better further up the park. 

4 hours ago, Stedcfc said:

Does this mean were selling Bryson, Butterfield and Johnsons then?! Can't see 2 more holding midfielders coming unless a couple of those were going.

I don't see any of them as holding midfielders.

5 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I don't see those players as holding players. Bryson box to box and BJ and Butters are better further up the park. 

I agree in general - But obviously he is currently using them in those positions

I was working on the assumption he'd switch between a 4-2-3-1 which they don't fit in quite as well - To a 4-1-2-3 where they do

I think they can all play in the 2 from a 4-2-3-1 - It's just not their best position 

5 minutes ago, Waffle said:

After seeing Jack Wilshere's price tag being set at £9 million. I'd love for Derby to sell him the dream and for him to command our midfield.

Little bit injury prone. Those glass ankles would break multiple times a season, and he'll be on enormous wages. Doubt he'll want to play outside of the top flight.

17 minutes ago, Waffle said:

After seeing Jack Wilshere's price tag being set at £9 million. I'd love for Derby to sell him the dream and for him to command our midfield.

No thanks. I believe he's on £90k at Arsenal. 

16 minutes ago, Waffle said:

Always seemed a bit like Joe Cole to me.Bags of ability that didn't seem to convert to a great deal (consistently) on the pitch.He seems to be following Joe's flightpath- steadily down.

God, I hope this is true about Leadbitter.

Have watched Boro every time they've been on the tv over here, for the last couple of years

and always hoped we could get him at some point in the future.

absolutely brilliant player who is consistently a 9 out of 10 every game (as per Simo about Wisdom)

We wil def be AUTO now.

Archived