Grant Leadbitter

Topram

16 minutes ago, sage said:

For those who bought today's 'wait till a transfer thread becomes a stick to beat Keogh with sweepstake the winning number is 6. 

Haha yes was waiting for a comment regarding a dig of somewhat. Wasn't a dig really like I said people have there own way of leading a team. I just prefer G.L's way of leading a team then Keogh's.

His might work somewhat for all I know but as a employee or a team mate, being me myself I'd prefer G.L's way of motivating me then Keogh's.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/nauseating-display-vulgar-dissent-middlesbrough/story-25711793-detail/story.html

The DET aren't going to welcome him with open arms.

My understanding is he is out of contract, or at least he was last month.

Been watching Sunderland fans chatting about him, they're 50/50 on him, and I presume they've been watching him since he left as he was a home grown fan favourite.

Good captain, good penalty taker, but not really pushed on from being a talented youngster and not good enough for the top flight. Also doubt his ability to play a full season.

Don't like the guy - Overly aggressive, arrogant clogger - But would be an absolute asset to the squad and the perfect player to have for a 4-2-3-1 formation

I just don't want to be made to like him - And I will if he pulls on a Derby shirt

For me, this is the least exciting defensive midfielder we've been linked with in this window.

Runs less than James.

Gets stuck in less than James.

Passing's not as good as Huddlestone.

Promotion rivals deem him surplus.

We should be aiming for higher and better, IMO.

He's another one that I don't object to on an individual level - every team needs some players like him, Whelan, Boyd, Curtis Davies etc. And it is something we've been lacking. It's just the overall impression of shifting out youngsters and replacing them with high-waged 30+ year olds, that goes against everything Morris has been preaching since he got here :blink:.

Very good signing, we need someone like that in there, I remember seeing reports last season that he'd got six months left and they were unlikely to extend it, I hoped we'd be in for him back then. A promotion signing, we were dying for a player like that last system. You need the cog to make the shinier parts of the machine to turn properly. 

Can we really not find anyone younger to do the job? We've sold off our two young stars and are looking to reinvest it in Grant Leadbitter? Really?

I know the Matty James transfer is a bit ambitious, same goes for Jota but there still have to be younger alternatives out there. We can't keep sinking money into 30+ year olds contracts, players who won't improve and we cant sell on.

And it's not that I don't value having veterans in the team but we have enough. Baird, Davies, Nugent, Keogh, Shackell, Pearce, Johnson, Bryson, Carson and Martin are all people you'd consider experienced Championship players, the majority of them have been promoted out of this league at some stage.

I really worry Rowett's throwing the kitchen sink at promotion this year at the expense of having a sustainable promotion push for three years. A team that improves and gets better if they don't make it that season. Right now we'd be a team that has to bring in 3/4 key players every season because our previous core have all aged out. We were still good in 14/15 because we kept our core and made improvements.

Giving Rowett the benefit of the doubt right now and obviously a lot of these rumours could just be coming from a list of 10/15 names but I'm unimpressed if we're going after older players after the spiel about younger, hungrier players.

We also haven't really addressed the lack of athleticism in the team, particularly in the middle of the park. Neither of Huddlestone or Leadbitter would do that.

This whole post is an overreaction to a link but I'm starting to worry he's Derby era Clement. Trendy young manager who speaks well in the press, wears a nice jumper and the football hipster bloggers love him but doesn't live up to the hype or do anything particularly revolutionary.

Archived