Jacob Butterfield

RamBamFan

I keep seeing him getting brought up in other topics so why not reward him with his own!

Can anyone see him stepping up this season?

I think he's definitely got the potential to do so - two footed, good shot on him and can thread a ball when he's not facing sideways.

He was pretty pants last season but in his first he looked fairly promising.

I also think he needs be furthest forward out of the centre mids because defending isn't his strong point.

EDIT: How do you start a poll? It would be good to have a yes/no vote on whether he can step up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/3/2017 at 06:58, RamBamFan said:

I keep seeing him getting brought up in other topics so why not reward him with his own!

Can anyone see him stepping up this season?

I think he's definitely got the potential to do so - two footed, good shot on him and can thread a ball when he's not facing sideways.

He was pretty pants last season but in his first he looked fairly promising.

I also think he needs be furthest forward out of the centre mids because defending isn't his strong point.

EDIT: How do you start a poll? It would be good to have a yes/no vote on whether he can step up.

No, I can't...

People are very quick to forgot how good he was at Huddersfield. He created 120 chances for them that season, which is a staggering amount. To put this context the most chances any derby player has created in the past 4 season was Bryson in 13/14 with 83. 

I think he like a lot of the squad have suffered from the tumultuous management situation.

14 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

He's a bang average footballer imho.  Saying that, if GR has a role within the team for a midfielder who slows down the play, before giving it to a team mate who's 5 yards square of him, I think he'll flourish...

For 16/17 according to squawka

Average pass length:

Johnson- 20m

Butterfield - 18m 

Hughes - 16m

Bryson - 14m

Pass direction:

Johnson - 30% backwards 70% forwards

Butterfield - 39% backwards 61% forwards

Hughes - 40% backwards 60% forwards

Bryson - 45% backwards 55% forwards

Passing accuracy:

Johnson: 69% 

Butterfield - 83%

Hughes - 83%

Bryson - 82%

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Average pass length:

Johnson- 20m

Butterfield - 18m 

Hughes - 16m

Bryson - 14m

Pass direction:

Passing accuracy:

Butterfield - 83%

Hughes - 83%

Bryson - 82%

Great post! One more proof how people tend to see what they want to see.

Average pass length:

Johnson- 20m

Butterfield - 18m 

Hughes - 16m

Bryson - 14m

Pass direction:

Passing accuracy:

Butterfield - 83%

Hughes - 83%

Bryson - 82%

If you take into account passing accuracy, Butterfield was as effective going forward as any of our midfielders last year - a year that will probably rank pretty low in his career.  I remember him better in his first season where after a shaky start he looked pretty decent. Two footed, rarely gives the ball away and a fair share of goals.  I think he can be a big player next season for us

Average pass length:

Johnson- 20m

Butterfield - 18m 

Hughes - 16m

Bryson - 14m

Pass direction:

Passing accuracy:

Butterfield - 83%

Hughes - 83%

Bryson - 82%

You do need to take into account the average position of the player when they receive the ball, if you are higher up the pitch the likelihood is that you will pass more sideways and backwards than forwards, the frustration with Butters is that a lot of the time when he is deep his passes go sideways not forwards. Again stats can be skewed to suit any argument.

He is the closest thing we have to Hughes currently in the squad, I think he is capable of filling the role and doing well albeit in a different way. I actually think Butterfield will offer a bigger threat to goal than Hughes as he is willing to pull the trigger from distance if there is nothing on in front of him.

Could be a cracking season for him.

16 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

You do need to take into account the average position of the player when they receive the ball, if you are higher up the pitch the likelihood is that you will pass more sideways and backwards than forwards, the frustration with Butters is that a lot of the time when he is deep his passes go sideways not forwards. Again stats can be skewed to suit any argument.

It's a fair point that player position likely effects passing direction. However I don't have data on average player positions over the course of the season or how individuals tend to pass in certain areas of the pitch. What we can do is compare him to Hughes to account for that because they have pretty much played in the same position on the pitch for most of the season albeit one on the left side and one on the right side. And when you do that you find that they have similar passing stats.

Curiously  (bare in mind this is a small sample size) for the two games at the end of the season where Butterfield played as the deepest midfielder; his passing length was 21m, 30% backwards 70% forwards and 86% passing accuracy.

11 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He is the closest thing we have to Hughes currently in the squad, I think he is capable of filling the role and doing well albeit in a different way. I actually think Butterfield will offer a bigger threat to goal than Hughes as he is willing to pull the trigger from distance if there is nothing on in front of him.

Could be a cracking season for him.

Agreed. Also I don't think we can afford to sell him because with Hughes gone it's only him and Thorne who can contribute to controlling a game.

At his best he has looked like a mid table championship player ( so have others) so if that is our target then fine if you want someone to dominate midfield in 7 out of 10 games then forget it because he seems like a 1 or 2 out of 10 man 

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Average pass length:

Johnson- 20m

Butterfield - 18m 

Hughes - 16m

Bryson - 14m

Pass direction:

Passing accuracy:

Butterfield - 83%

Hughes - 83%

Bryson - 82%

Thanks for that Brady. The thing I liked about Butters when he first came was that he could actually pass accurately. It was only when he was "educated" by Paul Clement that the safety first sideways stuff started. I think there is an adventurous positive player in there somewhere, just needs the right gaffer to let him out. I am hoping he might be the surprise package of the next season 

Archived