Jacob Butterfield

RamBamFan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, brady1993 said:

People are very quick to forgot how good he was at Huddersfield. He created 120 chances for them that season, which is a staggering amount. To put this context the most chances any derby player has created in the past 4 season was Bryson in 13/14 with 83. 

I think he like a lot of the squad have suffered from the tumultuous management situation.

Probably a typo. Should have been 12.

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Loving watching people move the goalposts as the stats prove their theories wrong!!!

The stats don't alter my opinion, I don't rate him.  Some people didn't rate Ince, some still don't rate Keogh, Christie, Johnson, Russell, Anya, or Martin (Hi @toddy ).  If everyone agreed, it'd be a very boring world...

10 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

The stats don't alter my opinion, I don't rate him.  Some people didn't rate Ince, some still don't rate Keogh, Christie, Johnson, Russell, Anya, or Martin (Hi @toddy ).  If everyone agreed, it'd be a very boring world...

Yes I really don't have a problem with people having a different opinion on a player.

It's funny though when they justify it with "he only plays backwards or sidewards passes" then gets proved wrong by stats, so changes it to "he takes too many touches" then gets proved wrong by stats, so changes it...

You get my drift I'm sure.

In my opinion he's the perfect example of a scapegoat where in one game he does something, someone mentions it and then the tag sticks forever, ala Keogh at Wembley.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I kinda agree, so we've got to hope that GR can get a good team performance out of him. (Obvs!) It's all about the team. :)

I've changed my opinion about players before, so if he has a good season I'll be first to hold my hands up.  He's go the technique, he just always seems so hesitant to try something out the ordinary.  Other than Thorne I don't see where a spark is going to come from in the middle...

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes I really don't have a problem with people having a different opinion on a player.

It's funny though when they justify it with "he only plays backwards or sidewards passes" then gets proved wrong by stats, so changes it to "he takes too many touches" then gets proved wrong by stats, so changes it...

You get my drift I'm sure.

In my opinion he's the perfect example of a scapegoat where in one game he does something, someone mentions it and then the tag sticks forever, ala Keogh at Wembley.

It all depends on what kind of forward passes he plays.  They could be 5/10 yard easy balls to keep things ticking over.  Maybe I wasn't really wording myself correctly.  What I see is a conservative player, like I just said to Roy Mac, I don't see someone who can be the creative point of the midfield, which isn't great for an attacking midfielder.  As I also said, if GR gets him firing, I'll happily eat humble pie...

50 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

It all depends on what kind of forward passes he plays.  They could be 5/10 yard easy balls to keep things ticking over.  Maybe I wasn't really wording myself correctly.  What I see is a conservative player, like I just said to Roy Mac, I don't see someone who can be the creative point of the midfield, which isn't great for an attacking midfielder.  As I also said, if GR gets him firing, I'll happily eat humble pie...

But surely in a possession based team (which is what Mac was trying to make us) that was his job?

How many times does Will Hughes play passes over 10/20 yards?

I think Butterfield was getting crucified for doing what his manager asked him to do.

11 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Let's be clear. Whatever the stats say Jacob Butterfield will never be Will Hughes and when their careers are over Will should achieve far more than Butterfield ever will. 

Butterfield hasn't done it for me in a Derby shirt, even the first season. That said he is a talented player and he's never suited the way the past few managers have wanted to play, not completely his fault but just the wrong fit. 

I hope Rowett gets the best out of him and it is his season because let's face it, no one is queuing up to sign him, and if he did leave we'd probably sell him at a loss and there are many more players we'd say the same about, anything Rowett can do to mitigate these losses by getting the best out of his current players is all good for me.

Exactly. I still have faith in Jacob.

What is clear is that he is one of these confidence players. Which means, to get the best out of him, he needs to be played in his best position, and to know that he is a regular in the starting line up. That he isn't expected to focus on aspects that he isn't any good at - like being a physical, constraining player, although of course he has to do his bit. That there are others around who can do most of this. He needs to focus on what he is good at - using the ball to make things happen. 

He will never have a better chance, now that Will and Tom have gone, to show what he can do. And having Chris back could be a massive stimulus to him. 

All this depends on two things :

- has Gary got the belief and patience in him to bring out his best

- has Jacob got the desire and will to impose himself, particularly against the tough and aggressive sides who so often have been our downfall in recent years

Either way, we will be finding out pretty soon 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

But surely in a possession based team (which is what Mac was trying to make us) that was his job?

How many times does Will Hughes play passes over 10/20 yards?

I think Butterfield was getting crucified for doing what his manager asked him to do.

I guess, at least Clement used him properly.  But even hovering around the No 10 position he can be a little indecisive at times

3 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

Something tells me theres going to be a lot of fans eating humble pie when he comes good this season I am sure he has had to change is game to fit in with hughes

Towards the back end of the season (after Rowett arrived) Butterfield played every game whilst Hughes was on the bench and we didn't really see any huge improvement in the way he was playing.

What makes you think this will happen?

25 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

Towards the back end of the season (after Rowett arrived) Butterfield played every game whilst Hughes was on the bench and we didn't really see any huge improvement in the way he was playing.

It's a fresh start for everybody, Butters included. Players have off seasons, do you think Hughes will have a better season with Watford than he did last year with us? I do for sure. Good players don't lose ability. New faces might spice things up a bit and the addition of George Thorne to our midfield will surely improve others around him. If he stays I'd like to see him receiving balls in area's where he can produce the goods he has in previous seasons, not sat on the half way line keeping possession.

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism considering the circumstances IMO, got all fingers and toes crossed we have a good season from him. 

24 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

But he played well under Rowett towards the back end of last season....

In terms of our current midfielders, Butterfield is the most technically gifted we have. Maybe even so when Hughes was here.

Maybe he would have more of an influence on the game if he was further forward, but it's up to Rowett to figure that out.

Whatever the case JB definitely has the potential to be a key player. 

Archived