Jacob Butterfield

RamBamFan

Even though he can use two feet, there is no way he's anywhere near as God as Hughes technically.

That's ok though, no one else in the championship is either.

What he is, is a very, very good footballer, and I'm looking forward to seeing if Rowetts system teases that talent out on a more consistent basis, if so I'm expecting big things from him this season.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Even though he can use two feet, there is no way he's anywhere near as God as Hughes technically.

That's ok though, no one else in the championship is either.

What he is, is a very, very good footballer, and I'm looking forward to seeing if Rowetts system teases that talent out on a more consistent basis, if so I'm expecting big things from him this season.

I loved Will but I saw many players last season who were technically on par or better. That isn't criticism, because he's a supremely talented lad with potential to thrive even further. But there were better players than him last season scattered throughout the division. Hourihane and Irvine played similar roles for example. And that's without mentioning players in the promoted or playoff teams. 

Ince is different. Not many like him last season. Much bigger loss to us, in my humble opinion.

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I loved Will but I saw many players last season who were technically on par or better. That isn't criticism, because he's a supremely talented lad with potential to thrive even further. But there were better players than him last season scattered throughout the division. Hourihane and Irvine played similar roles for example. And that's without mentioning players in the promoted or playoff teams. 

Ince is different. Not many like him last season. Much bigger loss to us, in my humble opinion.

I'm of course massively biased, and basing my opinion over a series of seasons rather than just the one. 

To be honest, I'm really blinkered and never really take much notice of other clubs players, or indeed football away from the Rams, I've rarely come away from a game wishing we had x or y from the opposition.

Jacob is an exception, always a player I liked the look of, and was delighted when he signed. I hope he grabs his chance to be the main man, impose himself and stuff the sideways/backwards crap down people's throats. 

I believe you hold him in high regard too, why do you think it's not quite happened here for him so far?

20 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

It will be interesting to see the friendlies and what we can garner from them. I have a feeling GT will be handled with kid gloves initially. 

Each spot in the team barring keeper should be up for grabs. 

Plenty of options all over the place except probably out wide, where we have numbers rather than actual quality options. I love JR but after that we are struggling. I like Weimann but not sold on him as a winger. Anya I don't rate. Blackman back from the abyss? Stranger things have happened. 

Surely that area is the priority for GR in recruitment terms?

If I were Rowett, I'd be trying to figure out how I can get all my goal scorers playing well together.  Most of our 'wide' players (Vydra, Weimann, Blackman) have a stated preference to play through the middle.  Even Russell is more of an inside forward.  Anya the only true wide player... so I'd be looking at narrow formations to get the most out of what I have got.  And lets be honest there are some talented players here, even if they have not performed to their potential over the last few years.

4-4-2 diamond is a possibility. 4-2-3-1 is a stated preference for Rowett. Or 5-3-2 could work with our squad.  Just don't see a regular 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with wingers happening.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I'm of course massively biased, and basing my opinion over a series of seasons rather than just the one. 

To be honest, I'm really blinkered and never really take much notice of other clubs players, or indeed football away from the Rams, I've rarely come away from a game wishing we had x or y from the opposition.

Jacob is an exception, always a player I liked the look of, and was delighted when he signed. I hope he grabs his chance to be the main man, impose himself and stuff the sideways/backwards crap down people's throats. 

I believe you hold him in high regard too, why do you think it's not quite happened here for him so far?

It might be that he's not very good? I'm no coach. I don't think my opinion holds more sway than another. Maybe I overrate him? 

I see a really talented player who has much to give us in terms of creation, goals and the general flow of a game. But whilst I don't buy the opinion of others who say he was poor last year, I acknowledge he wasn't as impressive as he was first season. The goals (no lack of effort) stopped going in. He did become more cautious, he played deeper. The same though has to be said for the rest in midfield. And you can't tell me that all those quality players just stopped being quality (at the same time) coincidentally. 

It's just an opinion, but I honestly believe the chopping and changing of managers and systems/personnel corrupted the form of lots of our players, JB included. I was a big fan of Mac but I have no idea why - after a great run of form - he brought in De Sart and disrupted a midfield that had finally blended nicely. 

When GR came in and both Will and Butters were benched, I feared for both. GR has a reputation (fair or otherwise) for workmanlike teams with little individual talent. But eventually he gave both of those chances, and Butters looked much better than Will, and more like the Butters I saw first season. 

So maybe he will be key this year? But then, I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on like the others too. GR is shaking things up at PP. I think he wants big characters, team players, physicality. Butters is a real team player. He's not physical. Has he the character? 

Time will tell. Big season for so many of them, and the manager and even MM. 

Interesting.

6 hours ago, Stedcfc said:

Towards the back end of the season (after Rowett arrived) Butterfield played every game whilst Hughes was on the bench and we didn't really see any huge improvement in the way he was playing.

What makes you think this will happen?

Just a gut reaction and i seemn to believe he played some good positive football when he first camw

Archived