Jacob Butterfield

RamBamFan

1 minute ago, jono said:

Thanks for that Brady. The thing I liked about Butters when he first came was that he could actually pass accurately. It was only when he was "educated" by Paul Clement that the safety first sideways stuff started. I think there is an adventurous positive player in there somewhere, just needs the right gaffer to let him out. I am hoping he might be the surprise package of the next season 

I agreed 100% with that @jono and I think what is telling is when you look how he performed at Huddersfield before joining here. 6 goals, 8 assists, 120 chances created (which is staggering), pass accuracy 78%, 38% backwards  and 62% forwards. This to me points to a player who is taking a lot more risks but creating an outstanding number of goal scoring opportunities.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, brady1993 said:

For 16/17 according to squawka

Average pass length:

Johnson- 20m

Butterfield - 18m 

Hughes - 16m

Bryson - 14m

Pass direction:

Johnson - 30% backwards 70% forwards

Butterfield - 39% backwards 61% forwards

Hughes - 40% backwards 60% forwards

Bryson - 45% backwards 55% forwards

Passing accuracy:

Johnson: 69% 

Butterfield - 83%

Hughes - 83%

Bryson - 82%

Do you have the stats for average touches before playing the ball???  I suspect he'd be top...  As I said, it's my opinion, take away his goals and he brings nothing to the party.  

I've been on Hudderfield's forum, for their reaction to Ince, and a lot of them mention the fact we paid way over the odds for him, and he wasn't that good to begin with.  In fairness, some also say he was brilliant for them.  As @Dimmu says, people see what they choose to...

I think I may be in the minority here but I feel pretty sure I'm not simply 'seeing what I want to see' when I say that the lad is one of the most technically gifted players at the club, if not THE most. I really hope we see him used properly this year and that he rediscovers some form and confidence (maybe the two are linked?) as he can not only make those incisive passes but he can score goals too when on his game. Hopefully GR can find a way to get him back to his best.

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Do you have the stats for average touches before playing the ball???  I suspect he'd be top...  As I said, it's my opinion, take away his goals and he brings nothing to the party.  

I've been on Hudderfield's forum, for their reaction to Ince, and a lot of them mention the fact we paid way over the odds for him, and he wasn't that good to begin with.  In fairness, some also say he was brilliant for them.  As @Dimmu says, people see what they choose to...

OK so I've taken a look and can't find any information regarding average touches per game over the season but whoscored does have the number of touches a player had in an individual fixture. Forgive me but I couldn't be bothered to go through and collate for the whole season and instead I've just done it for the 9 game unbeaten run. Picked this a sample because the lineup had very little change from game to game and it was a relatively stable period in an unstable season. 

So for the given time period:

Average touches per game:

BJ - 72

JB - 78

WH - 68

Average passes per game:

BJ - 55

JB - 61

WH - 49

Number of touches per pass per game:

BJ - 1.3

JB - 1.3

WH - 1.4

Passing Accuracy: 

BJ - 73%

JB - 86%

WH - 84%

6 hours ago, brady1993 said:

People are very quick to forgot how good he was at Huddersfield. He created 120 chances for them that season, which is a staggering amount. To put this context the most chances any derby player has created in the past 4 season was Bryson in 13/14 with 83. 

I think he like a lot of the squad have suffered from the tumultuous management situation.

Didn't Martin create over 90 chances in the 15/16 season?

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

OK so I've taken a look and can't find any information regarding average touches per game over the season but whoscored does have the number of touches a player had in an individual fixture. Forgive me but I couldn't be bothered to go through and collate for the whole season and instead I've just done it for the 9 game unbeaten run. Picked this a sample because the lineup had very little change from game to game and it was a relatively stable period in an unstable season. 

So for the given time period:

Average touches per game:

BJ - 72

JB - 78

WH - 68

Average passes per game:

BJ - 55

JB - 61

WH - 49

Number of touches per pass per game:

BJ - 1.3

JB - 1.3

WH - 1.4

Passing Accuracy: 

BJ - 73%

JB - 86%

WH - 84%

When we selling him.

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

He gave an absolute master class in midfield when he came on as a sub vs Bristol. We looked devoid of confidence and ideas, likely to get hammered. He turned that game on its head. The kind of performance that had Hughes put in, it would have been given a 40 page thread about it. As it was, it was merely mentioned in passing that "Butters did well."

He's an exceptional talent and we've not used or appreciated him properly. Like many of our players. Changing manager every week has that effect. 

give him a break he was in is catarlist last year and hes in his prime if we were to believe that tripe lol. realy though he has to make it this season esp now wills gone but we wont know untill we see how gr wants to play with the squad ect.lets face it most of the first team had a crapy season last year and its make or break for a few,but all the managerial changes have left squad and supporters deflated to say the least.gr needs this full season ahead or we will be headless chickens .like some one quoted hes done well before he came here confidence will bring it back 

9 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Great post! One more proof how people tend to see what they want to see.

Nonsense.

I want to see large-breasted female footballers swapping shirts at the end of the game, but no matter how much I squint, I only see Keogh et al.

Massively under rated by fans (not by coaches) Frequently played out of position.

For me, the mistake was assuming he was a Will Hughes replacement following his injury. The truth is he is naturally a deep lying midfielder, but not CDM which is a position I simply don't feel is necessary for any team. That's what a defence is for isn't it?

He should be on the ball early with the time and space to pick his pass, and that he will do, long or short. He's not effective when played higher up the pitch when more often than not he receives the ball with back to goal and is under pressure. Hence the impression that he passes backwards (ballcocks by the way!) Admittedly WH had more tricks in his play to get out of a pickle and turn, and so was better suited to playing higher up the pitch. Jacob is a far better technical player than WH or any other Derby midfielder for that matter in terms of passing, vision and shooting when played deeper and in more pace. Which is exactly where he played for Huddersfield when he received player of the season before joining us. And his distance shooting (for me the best in the Championship) is more effective when again coming from deeper, with time to pick his spot. He's as good from 25 yards as from 18.

I've said it before, he reminds me of Paul Scholes, and he played that exact role. And boy, could we do with a Paul Scholes this season!!!

3 minutes ago, The Arch Deacon said:

Massively under rated by fans (not by coaches) Frequently played out of position.

For me, the mistake was assuming he was a Will Hughes replacement following his injury. The truth is he is naturally a deep lying midfielder, but not CDM which is a position I simply don't feel is necessary for any team. That's what a defence is for isn't it?

He should be on the ball early with the time and space to pick his pass, and that he will do, long or short. He's not effective when played higher up the pitch when more often than not he receives the ball with back to goal and is under pressure. Hence the impression that he passes backwards (ballcocks by the way!) Admittedly WH had more tricks in his play to get out of a pickle and turn, and so was better suited to playing higher up the pitch. Jacob is a far better technical player than WH or any other Derby midfielder for that matter in terms of passing, vision and shooting when played deeper and in more pace. Which is exactly where he played for Huddersfield when he received player of the season before joining us. And his distance shooting (for me the best in the Championship) is more effective when again coming from deeper, with time to pick his spot. He's as good from 25 yards as from 18.

I've said it before, he reminds me of Paul Scholes, and he played that exact role. And boy, could we do with a Paul Scholes this season!!!

This !! Play him along side GT in a two and I think your right he could be very effective. I've said it before but against Wolves at home he was the best player on the pitch, totally controlled the game from a deeper midfield role and he played in a 3 that day. 

Let's be clear. Whatever the stats say Jacob Butterfield will never be Will Hughes and when their careers are over Will should achieve far more than Butterfield ever will. 

Butterfield hasn't done it for me in a Derby shirt, even the first season. That said he is a talented player and he's never suited the way the past few managers have wanted to play, not completely his fault but just the wrong fit. 

I hope Rowett gets the best out of him and it is his season because let's face it, no one is queuing up to sign him, and if he did leave we'd probably sell him at a loss and there are many more players we'd say the same about, anything Rowett can do to mitigate these losses by getting the best out of his current players is all good for me.

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

This !! Play him along side GT in a two and I think your right he could be very effective. I've said it before but against Wolves at home he was the best player on the pitch, totally controlled the game from a deeper midfield role and he played in a 3 that day. 

I like George but he's made of glass. It's a controversial one but I think he's instead of GT rather than as well as. For me JB is the deep 1 in a 4-1-4-1 formation. A CDM is even less required with the improved central defensive pairing. I'm a big fan of Curtis Davis having lived in Hull and attended several games. He's prem quality for me, and will make a massive difference for confidence through defence and midfield. I still think the big mistake last season was giving BJ the deep role when GT got injured. He can't pass and he can't shoot from distance. That should have been given to JB. Simplesk! 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Let's be clear. Whatever the stats say Jacob Butterfield will never be Will Hughes and when their careers are over Will should achieve far more than Butterfield ever will. 

Butterfield hasn't done it for me in a Derby shirt, even the first season. That said he is a talented player and he's never suited the way the past few managers have wanted to play, not completely his fault but just the wrong fit. 

I hope Rowett gets the best out of him and it is his season because let's face it, no one is queuing up to sign him, and if he did leave we'd probably sell him at a loss and there are many more players we'd say the same about, anything Rowett can do to mitigate these losses by getting the best out of his current players is all good for me.

Wolves and Villa came sniffing, they were told to do one!

Butterfield was good in his first season here, but he definitely had more confidence about his play and he was a lot sharper on the ball. 

The fans, for me, quickly got on his back. I don't know why. I understand he didn't have the best start, but once the fans started it was plain to see his confidence dropped, his decision making was non-existent and he was crumbling. He had gone from the one midfielder who would look to hit the top corner from outside the box to the one who would rather play a five yard pass than have an opportunity of an open goal. 

I guess you can't blame the fans, because he should have started the season a lot better, but he's a very good player at this level and we need him to find his form. Saying that, I'm not sure how he fits into Rowett's system. I'm pretty sure Thorne, Bryson & Johnson will be go to guys in the middle of the park. 

32 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Butterfield was good in his first season here, but he definitely had more confidence about his play and he was a lot sharper on the ball. 

The fans, for me, quickly got on his back. I don't know why. I understand he didn't have the best start, but once the fans started it was plain to see his confidence dropped, his decision making was non-existent and he was crumbling. He had gone from the one midfielder who would look to hit the top corner from outside the box to the one who would rather play a five yard pass than have an opportunity of an open goal. 

I guess you can't blame the fans, because he should have started the season a lot better, but he's a very good player at this level and we need him to find his form. Saying that, I'm not sure how he fits into Rowett's system. I'm pretty sure Thorne, Bryson & Johnson will be go to guys in the middle of the park. 

It will be interesting to see the friendlies and what we can garner from them. I have a feeling GT will be handled with kid gloves initially. 

Each spot in the team barring keeper should be up for grabs. 

Plenty of options all over the place except probably out wide, where we have numbers rather than actual quality options. I love JR but after that we are struggling. I like Weimann but not sold on him as a winger. Anya I don't rate. Blackman back from the abyss? Stranger things have happened. 

Surely that area is the priority for GR in recruitment terms?

Archived