Forum Issues

Day
Message added by Day,

This topic is for technical issues with the forum/server only.

For issues with moderation such as warnings, removed posts and topics, please contact a moderator that is online privately as per the forum terms of use.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

It’s nowt to do with me, but, people will still carry on as before, and we’ll just have  a minimum of 11 new forums if not more.

We have enough forums to mod as it is m’owd.

Aye, that’s fair enough!

For what it's worth I don't like the transfer board either, I'm just not sure how to make it better.

I did once try to push through a new topic per article, that way you could see what was new in the opening post. The forum did not like, in fact they ignored it and just went back to the players name and chucking everything in.

I do like the idea of a Player Performance board, one topic per player, but it won't stop the transfer board spiralling off into pages and pages of puns and discussions on the player.

I have looked how other forums handle it and to be honest they are all the same, some don't have a transfer board at all as the rumours are in the main board. 

21 hours ago, David said:

For what it's worth I don't like the transfer board either, I'm just not sure how to make it better.

I did once try to push through a new topic per article, that way you could see what was new in the opening post. The forum did not like, in fact they ignored it and just went back to the players name and chucking everything in.

I do like the idea of a Player Performance board, one topic per player, but it won't stop the transfer board spiralling off into pages and pages of puns and discussions on the player.

I have looked how other forums handle it and to be honest they are all the same, some don't have a transfer board at all as the rumours are in the main board. 

That’s fair enough, hopefully it’ll calm down a bit after Thursday anyway. Thanks for getting back, appreciate the work you all put in!

• 4 weeks later...

Not an issue, but a suggestion.

Would it be possible/desirable to split the matchday thread in two once the teams have been announced?

A pre match thread and a match thread for instance. 

It would help keep things easy to follow if you could click on the thread and know exactly where it will start from time wise.

For instance today was the first time I've looked at the thread since it was created, and to find out the line up I've had to skip to the last page, then reverse up until I found it. 

It's similar after a game, I like to go back and read people's thoughts on the game and the line up pre match, but it's a lot of guesswork to find where such posts start.

I don't know if this is possible, or if anyone else has the same issues, so I'm just throwing the suggestion out.

2 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Not an issue, but a suggestion.

Would it be possible/desirable to split the matchday thread in two once the teams have been announced?

A pre match thread and a match thread for instance. 

It would help keep things easy to follow if you could click on the thread and know exactly where it will start from time wise.

For instance today was the first time I've looked at the thread since it was created, and to find out the line up I've had to skip to the last page, then reverse up until I found it. 

It's similar after a game, I like to go back and read people's thoughts on the game and the line up pre match, but it's a lot of guesswork to find where such posts start.

I don't know if this is possible, or if anyone else has the same issues, so I'm just throwing the suggestion out.

Don’t see why not, start the actual match thread at 2pm when the team news comes out. I like the idea.

On 01/09/2018 at 17:09, David said:

Don’t see why not, start the actual match thread at 2pm when the team news comes out. I like the idea.

Did you do this yesterday and then merge it back together or have I just got a dodgy phone connection up here in Yorkshire? 

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Did you do this yesterday and then merge it back together or have I just got a dodgy phone connection up here in Yorkshire? 

Well spotted, tried to but as posts were flying in it buggered it up so put it back. Will start with Rotherham

On 02/09/2018 at 17:10, angieram said:

Aha! That's why the Rotherham thread is labelled "pre-match". I can see the point. Another leap forward for Frank Lampard's dcfc fans.

Edited by Carl Sagan

David - while we're getting used to the no politics, religion, sex regime please could you either leave up a locked thread or give an explanation (that's not for discussion or challenge) as to why a thread has been deleted?

As an example, the thread about the Skripals seems to have disappeared since I was online this morning.  I presume it was thought to be political though when I left it, personally I don't think it was but maybe that changed. It would help explain the areas that are acceptable and those that are not.

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

David - while we're getting used to the no politics, religion, sex regime please could you either leave up a locked thread or give an explanation (that's not for discussion or challenge) as to why a thread has been deleted?

As an example, the thread about the Skripals seems to have disappeared since I was online this morning.  I presume it was thought to be political though when I left it, personally I don't think it was but maybe that changed. It would help explain the areas that are acceptable and those that are not.

I don't think they  have the time or inclination to justify every thread deletion

Nothing contentious in the Skripal thread, so I checked with a Mod why it was pulled. He said they have a "zero tolerance policy" on any new threads that have the potential to cause political arguments.

It would be useful to be a bit clearer on that in the rules if each thread deletion is going to come with a warning

48 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

I don't think they  have the time or inclination to justify every thread deletion

Nothing contentious in the Skripal thread, so I checked with a Mod why it was pulled. He said they have a "zero tolerance policy" on any new threads that have the potential to cause political arguments.

It would be useful to be a bit clearer on that in the rules if each thread deletion is going to come with a warning

which is fair enough, though there don't appear to be that many pulled threads and we now know of the zero tolerance policy regarding 'potential political arguments', which in itself is an explanation

Just spotted the new forum rule of no politics, religion, sex (has there ever been sex? I must have missed that). Even in The Pub! Huge shame. I felt it was really informative to see the different opinions on say Brexit or whatever, with fascinating polls to gauge the view of the forum. 

I'm disappointed if people took it so seriously that it had to be shut down. In the end we're all Derby fans and that should be a deep bond. This place will be much the poorer for not being able to discuss topics around the edges.