What do you really think of Morris?

oldtimeram

36 minutes ago, Ramet said:

I get you angry i do, bumbling uncle i can asure you hes not but like i say you are free to express your views as is every one,i have complete faith it will come good,i agree im sure he has broard enough sholders to carry the criticism and im sure no one is more disappointed in the way things have gone to date 

Ramet, use the quote button and I will know you have replied to me.. I might miss it otherwise.

We all hope it comes good.. Despite what people think of my views, I would be chuffed if a local guy made DCFC a success. Bug season for uncle Morris. :thumbsup:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

He would build a far better reputation if he kept his nose out of team affairs and gets some pills from the doctor, to control that troublesome trigger finger of his!

Some members could possibly benefit from the same pills.

11 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

He would build a far better reputation if he kept his nose out of team affairs and gets some pills from the doctor, to control that troublesome trigger finger of his!

Right, so when does he have his nose in team affairs?

Are we still on about him entering the dressing room about 18 months ago?

Also what does and doesn't class as team affairs?

I've seen numerous people who have said he should keep his nose out also saying he should have stopped managers from buying/selling certain players.

Anything relating to the playing staff or the day to day running of the team.

Yes of course the dressing room incident.

If there is any truth in the matter he should not have involved himself in the so called player revolts against Pearson and maybe McClaren.

He should learn to separate his ownership and business head from his heart and being a hands on fan with a hell of a lot of clout. 

3 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Anything relating to the playing staff or the day to day running of the team.

Yes of course the dressing room incident.

If there is any truth in the matter he should not have involved himself in the so called player revolts against Pearson and maybe McClaren.

He should learn to separate his ownership and business head from his heart and being a hands on fan with a hell of a lot of clout. 

Have you read stuart webbs book?

his comments on pickering were basically...

He should learn to separate his ownership and business head from his heart and being a hands on fan

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think cyanide pills would probably be better for some. 

Not very nice..... 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure if necessarily true.

Remember the way people talked about Pearson? 'His team that beat us 4-1 were fast attacking football team, ripped us to pieces' or words to them effect.

Jury still out on how Rowett team will play. It's possible to be physical and still play decent football.

Yeah but people are stupid 

How many of Mel's decisions did I agree with?

1 Sacking McClaren

No. If he was determined to go to Newcastle, they should have approached the club and paid compensation.

2 Appointing Clement

Yes. He arrived with an excellent track record and coaching career under his belt. It was an intriguing one as no-one really knew what to expect, but given it was his first job in management, it would have been foolish to expect an easy ride.

3 Clement's signings: Some I liked - Shackell, Ince, Weimann, Bent. Some I wasn't sure about - Baird, Carson, Pearce. Some seemed to be a necessity at the time - Butterfield, Johnson, Olsson. Some seemed compete overkill - Blackman, Camara.

4 The dressing room incident.

No. It was impulsive, reckless, and clearly undermined Clement's position.

5 Sacking Clement

No. Up until December, we looked very comfortable. It was a more functional team than what we had under McClaren. Morris panicked at the first sign of trouble, and this was at odds with everything that had gone before - Clement could be our Ferguson etc. This was an inexperienced manager in his first job and he needed time, patience and support. At the very least, review his position at the end of the season.

6 Appointing Wassall

No, we were still in the play-off positions at the time. There was no need to panic. The football was better under Wassall but we ended up probably no better off than we would have done had we kept Clement.

7 Appointing Redknapp

No. It was farcical. If your manager needs a minder, then you shouldn't have appointed him in the beginning. Fortunately, Wassall took it in his stride and was very professional. But if it were me, I would have felt humiliated.

8 Appointing Pearson

Yes. Perhaps it wasn't going to be the football we associate with the Derby way. But in terms of our main goal of getting promotion, it seemed a logical step to appoint a proven and experienced manager with a good track record.

9 Pearson's signings

Anya - no, it was complete overkill. Vydra - yes, on paper, probably one of the most exciting signings we've made in recent years.

10 Selling Hendrick and loaning out Martin

Hendrick - no, he was a key player and only second to Hughes in terms of importance in midfield. Martin - no because I wanted to see him paired with Vydra, but yes, because we were too reliant on him as a player and with him gone, it presented an opportunity to go in a different direction.

11 Sacking Pearson

No, if you are going to appoint a new manager, he needs time to get his ideas across. We had a bad start but it wasn't a justification. With the quality we had in the squad, the players should have done better.

12 Re-appointing McClaren

No, I wanted us to go in a different direction.

13 Sacking McClaren

No, after going to the trouble of re-appointing him, it was necessary to give him time. At this point, the season was a free hit. Our upturn in form from October to December was enough to give him the chance to re-shape the team in summer 2017.

14 Appointing Rowett

Depends on the remit. If he is coming in to do a similar rebuild to Nigel Clough, yes. If he is coming in to get us promoted in 1-2 seasons, no.

15 Sacking Rush

Yes, I never really saw the fascination or bought into the hype about Rush. He didn't strike me as the most trustworthy of men.

16 Selling Hughes

Yes, but only if the price was right and we had fought tooth and nail for the best deal. At £8 million, it clearly wasn't the case and points to being under financial pressure to sell.

HOW MANY OF MEL'S DECISIONS DO YOU AGREE WITH...

1) Sacking McClaren - 

Yes. The ending to that season was a disgrace, and the bloke clearly had his eyes set on a move to the Magpies. No ship will sail smoothly if the Captain's eyes are elsewhere.

2) Appointing Clement -

Of course. There weren't many more exciting options out there, and who wouldn't want Carlo Ancelotti's protege? The guy was being touted for big things. Has arguably proved he's a decent manager since joining Swansea City too.

3) Clement's signings -

It doesn't make sense that this one comes under 'Mel's decisions.' None of Clement's signings had anything to do with Mel. The guy just simply funded them. All blame for our awful business over that season (which we are now paying the price for) goes on Paul Clement and the god awful recruitment team.

4) The dressing room incident -

His biggest mistake since taking over the club. This move arguably undermined the manager, and spelled the beginning of the end of his reign. The manager HAS to be the top dog at the club, and Mel showed our squad in his instance that Clement wasn't. Don't think he would ever do something like that again...or at least, I hope not...

5) Sacking Clement - 

Yes, ultimately. The football was dire. The player's looked to have lost faith/interest in the manager (probably due to 4) and Clement didn't have the answers. Perhaps my reasoning for agreeing with Mel him comes partially from the fact that I never warmed to Clement, but I still think it was right.

6) Appointing Wassall - 

No, not for the remainder of the season at least. We should have actively tried to bring in a new manager as soon as Clement went, just like we did after sacking McClaren the second time around. We still had a shot at promotion that season, and who knows what a proper new manager bounce could have added?

7) Appointing Redknapp - 

No problem with this at all. Redknapp has know-how and experience. Made sense to bring him in to guide Wassall. 

8) Appointing Pearson -

At the time, absolutley. We all seemed to agree on here that we needed someone to come in and sort out the group, and instil a new footballing philosophy, after two seasons of failure. Pearson ticked every box. It's just a shame that, from the moment he took charge, everything he seemingly promised Mel went out the window.

9) Pearson's signings -

Again, not Mel's fault. Pearson/recruitment team showed themselves to be just as incompetent as the regime before him. Overspending on Vydra and Anya. Loaning out Martin. Absolutely bonkers.

10) Selling Hendrick and loaning out Martin -

Again...is this a Mel decision? Hendrick had to go at that ridiculously inflated price which Burnley paid. Chris Martin's loan was a disastrous decision. But again, it wasn't Mel's choice. He simply backed up a manager who was already showing signs of stupidity. 

11) Sacking Pearson - 

From the signings to the departures, to the tactics to the odd interviews, everyone could see appointing Pearson was a big mistake. Mel minimised the damage he could've caused to the club by sacking him early. Simple.

12) Re-appointing McClaren -

Mistake number two for MM. Perhaps it was out of sentimentality. Perhaps McClaren sweet-talked him on the phone. Perhaps he genuinely thought the guy deserved a second chance. But they do say 'never go back' for a reason.

13) Sacking McClaren -

Yep. The inevitable end to a poor decision.

14) Appointing Rowett - 

Great appointment. Clearly cares for the club and is an exciting young manager. Just needs time now to prove it with his own squad.

15) Sacking Rush - 

Obviously don't know the ins and outs but, from the sounds of it, Mel was absolutely right to get SR out of this club.

16) Selling Hughes - 

The player wanted to go, he said it himself. We need to sell to raise funds. It had to happen.

So, by the looks of it, Mel has only gotten of the 14 major decisions he's been faced with wrong. Pretty good going by my eyes. Perhaps some on here should give him some slack?

On 6/26/2017 at 05:43, RamNut said:

Think about the big decisions , and consider for each whether you would have done the same at the time.

1 sack mac1/simmo/eric after 2014/15 8th finish 1 point off the play offs - Nope

2 appoint clement / peacock / zubie - Maybe

3 sign all this lot in 2 transfer windows: carson, baird, olsson, pearce, shackell, johnson, butterfield, blackman, bent, weimann, Camara, ince @26m - Carson yes and perhaps Butters and Bradders will show something this season

4 enter the dressing room after a 1-1 draw to "carpet everybody" - Nope, hopefully a lesson learnt right there

5 sack pc / peacock in feb 2016 5th five points off top - definitely not but the clamour on here to get shot of PC was nuts too

6 appoint darren wassall - Nope

7 appoint redknapp - **** no!

8 appoint pearson and powell - wasn't on my radar but at the time I thought it might work - how wrong can you be!

9 sign anya and vydra for £12m - Nope - I do think Vydra is a lot better than he's shown though so let's see what GR can do with him. He just might flourish playing off CM who might actually pick up his runs! Nugent likewise. That said, £12m was a stupid price to pay.

10 get rid of chris martin on loan - Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!

11 get rid of pearson after 9 games, 22nd in table - Hell Yes!!!!!!!!!!

12 appoint mac2, Chris evans and joe mac - Yep, I think it was the best option at the time

13 sack mac2, powell and evans - 10th, ten points off play offs - Nope, bonkers - having hauled Mac back we should have been giving him at least a season to sort out the post-Pearson clusterf***.

14 appoint rowett (finish 9th 13 points off play offs) - GR wouldn't have been my choice. Seemed to me we didn't have the personnel for Pearson's style and I fear the same might be true of GR. To be fair, he's doing his best to sell everyone so we'll have to see! I'm not full of hope if I'm honest which is unusual for me.

15 sack rush - if the rumours are true then yes. Cheeky ******

16 sell hughes - Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it.

Why Mel is responsible for signings? Backing manager? It should always be positive. You can critisize him hiring wrong manager, but backing one is far from mistake. Or is he scout, responsible for buying and selling players and forcing manager to think his way too?

Daft.

35 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

HOW MANY OF MEL'S DECISIONS DO YOU AGREE WITH...

1) Sacking McClaren - 

Yes. The ending to that season was a disgrace, and the bloke clearly had his eyes set on a move to the Magpies. No ship will sail smoothly if the Captain's eyes are elsewhere.

2) Appointing Clement -

Of course. There weren't many more exciting options out there, and who wouldn't want Carlo Ancelotti's protege? The guy was being touted for big things. Has arguably proved he's a decent manager since joining Swansea City too.

3) Clement's signings -

It doesn't make sense that this one comes under 'Mel's decisions.' None of Clement's signings had anything to do with Mel. The guy just simply funded them. All blame for our awful business over that season (which we are now paying the price for) goes on Paul Clement and the god awful recruitment team.

4) The dressing room incident -

His biggest mistake since taking over the club. This move arguably undermined the manager, and spelled the beginning of the end of his reign. The manager HAS to be the top dog at the club, and Mel showed our squad in his instance that Clement wasn't. Don't think he would ever do something like that again...or at least, I hope not...

5) Sacking Clement - 

Yes, ultimately. The football was dire. The player's looked to have lost faith/interest in the manager (probably due to 4) and Clement didn't have the answers. Perhaps my reasoning for agreeing with Mel him comes partially from the fact that I never warmed to Clement, but I still think it was right.

6) Appointing Wassall - 

No, not for the remainder of the season at least. We should have actively tried to bring in a new manager as soon as Clement went, just like we did after sacking McClaren the second time around. We still had a shot at promotion that season, and who knows what a proper new manager bounce could have added?

7) Appointing Redknapp - 

No problem with this at all. Redknapp has know-how and experience. Made sense to bring him in to guide Wassall. 

8) Appointing Pearson -

At the time, absolutley. We all seemed to agree on here that we needed someone to come in and sort out the group, and instil a new footballing philosophy, after two seasons of failure. Pearson ticked every box. It's just a shame that, from the moment he took charge, everything he seemingly promised Mel went out the window.

9) Pearson's signings -

Again, not Mel's fault. Pearson/recruitment team showed themselves to be just as incompetent as the regime before him. Overspending on Vydra and Anya. Loaning out Martin. Absolutely bonkers.

10) Selling Hendrick and loaning out Martin -

Again...is this a Mel decision? Hendrick had to go at that ridiculously inflated price which Burnley paid. Chris Martin's loan was a disastrous decision. But again, it wasn't Mel's choice. He simply backed up a manager who was already showing signs of stupidity. 

11) Sacking Pearson - 

From the signings to the departures, to the tactics to the odd interviews, everyone could see appointing Pearson was a big mistake. Mel minimised the damage he could've caused to the club by sacking him early. Simple.

12) Re-appointing McClaren -

Mistake number two for MM. Perhaps it was out of sentimentality. Perhaps McClaren sweet-talked him on the phone. Perhaps he genuinely thought the guy deserved a second chance. But they do say 'never go back' for a reason.

13) Sacking McClaren -

Yep. The inevitable end to a poor decision.

14) Appointing Rowett - 

Great appointment. Clearly cares for the club and is an exciting young manager. Just needs time now to prove it with his own squad.

15) Sacking Rush - 

Obviously don't know the ins and outs but, from the sounds of it, Mel was absolutely right to get SR out of this club.

16) Selling Hughes - 

The player wanted to go, he said it himself. We need to sell to raise funds. It had to happen.

So, by the looks of it, Mel has only gotten of the 14 major decisions he's been faced with wrong. Pretty good going by my eyes. Perhaps some on here should give him some slack?

If he had stopped at number two, none of the other things would have been required.

Even after being there at 'the breakfast club' I couldn't work out Mel's reasoning except Clement A) didn't get on with everyone including the tea lady and B) he seemed to be above he Championship.

I honestly think we'd be in the Prem now of Clement was still here. Easy to say now of course but this contributes to my frustration behind Morris.

5 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I don't get it.

Why Mel is responsible for signings? Backing manager? It should always be positive. You can critisize him hiring wrong manager, but backing one is far from mistake. Or is he scout, responsible for buying and selling players and forcing manager to think his way too?

Daft.

Yep - the questionnaire is pretty assumptive to be fair. If we don't want him 'meddling' then he can't be responsible for signings and sales. Can't have it both ways.

He's made mistakes but I'm happy to have him at the club. In most regards, I think we're lucky to have him tbf.

Archived