Joe Ledley - Signed

RamFan13

3 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

If this goes through I don't get it. What does Ledley give us that is different to thorne , huddlestone and Johnson? 

Answer: not a lot , this smells of a panic deal and I really thought we was going to leave these deals in the past. 

The ability to run (all three), the ability to tackle (Huddlestone and Johnson), not being injury prone (Thorne), having some footballing intelligence (Johnson and having a nasty streak (Thorne and Huddlestone).

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The ability to run (all three), the ability to tackle (Huddlestone and Johnson), not being injury prone (Thorne), having some footballing intelligence (Johnson and having a nasty streak (Thorne and Huddlestone).

Please watch him play.

For Wales he has been successful. You'll find Ramsey and Allen are his runners in that side. 

For palace they got puncheon and cabaye who were his runners. 

He may well tackle harder than the three we have but its mobility we require in our midfield if we're gonna play the Gary Rowett way ! 

11 minutes ago, hkrammm said:

It was smart for Rowett to tell MM that he wants no DOF.

If there's one, and DOFs tend to see things on longer terms than managers, Rowett would not be allowed to gamble on three 30+ ex premier league players, who I believe are the club top three earners once confirmed. 

40k per week and it's 2m per year each, and I'm being conservative. 

Where's your evidence on the £40k per week- I trust it's more reliable than forum rumours, newspaper tittle tattle etc?

5 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Unlike most on here, I think this is a wise short term move. A good player and gives cover for Johnson and Huddlestone

My concern is that I've never considered Ledley to be a particularly mobile player and I think that's what we are seriously lacking in our current midfield options.

Think this move is the best we can hope for after an appalling summer window imo. The midfield should have been a priority even before selling Hughes, let alone after! Should have brought in someone young with energy to complement the slower Thorne and Huddlestone, but alas we left it too late.

Weve obviously got no choice but to sign at least one free agent, our midfield may as well not be there at the Moment. From what's left I don't think anyone can argue that ledley ain't the best option there really. He's an established international, definitely has a bit of bits about him and should have something to prove to the wales management as well, so the motivation should be there.

The situation where we have to bring in an older slower player is poor and all of our own making, but we have to accept we are where we are, and given the situation ledley is a pretty good move imo. Think he will definately make a difference to the team, if of course he has been keeping fit...

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I'm not sure that we've got a choice. 

We don't have a 'Bryson' to make 433 work and we don't have a proper target man for a 451, so we're going to need a midfield pairing (whether we play 4231, 442, 352 etc). At present Huddlestone and Johnson are our only fully fit central midfielders. They are just too immobile and neither have much defensive ability. Unless we get to play Hull every week, we are quite likely to get tonked. If we lose the next three, the atmosphere around the club will be toxic. Things may ease a little with Thorne and Hanson coming back, but neither are perfect for the midfield battler role and both are likely to break down again.

IMO we are in a very precarious position atm. We have some excellent players, and many more who are perfectly adequate for a top 6 side. The problem is that the balance is wrong. When the opposition have the ball, we have a gap where our midfield should be. We need a proper battling, defensive central midfielder. Even better if that player can actually play a little when we do have the ball.

This was blindingly obvious in July, but the club stuffed up the transfer window. In August we should have been able to find a young, energetic player, who would have jumped at the chance to move up to a club like Derby County...but we didn't. Now we're left with the scraps. Ledley looks like the best of those barrel scrapings. He's older than we would want, so might tire more quickly than is ideal. He obviously thinks he's too good for us, so might have an attitude problem. He's not played regularly, so may well need several weeks to get fit. He's probably going to demand a huge salary and signing on fee, so will cause FFP issues, but who else is there? Joe Ledley is the price that we have to pay for making such a mess of the transfer window. IMO it's Ledley and a promotion battle or no Ledley and season looking over our shoulders at the relegation trap-door.

You're saying Ledley is the difference between promotion or relegation battle.  He's that crucial????.

I think we'll be 12th to 6th whether we sign him or not. Think he'll make very little difference.  If he signs it'll be yet another move I disagree with.  But support him while he's here

I'm sure everything I'm gonna say has already been said on here, but I'll say it anyway.

Not a fan of this move.

How have we managed to get ourselves into a position where we need to sign an ageing midfielder looking for his last payday?

At the start of the summer we had Gary Rowett saying that youth was the way forward and that you could expect a lot of energy from his side in the middle of the park. Now we have the slowest midfield in the league with Rowett having let go of all the youth, pace and energy we had in there and failed to replace it. Thorne, Johnson, Huddlestone and Ledley. I've seen faster glaciers than that lot. 

I don't think Ledley offers anything for us. Can he tackle? We've got Thorne and Johnson for that. Can he pass? We've got Huddlestone and Thorne for that. Can he work hard and press that opposition? We don't have anyone for that, but he can't do that either. He's always played best when surrounded by people who do the running for him.

Someone mentioned that Rowett is clearly in charge of transfers. Absolutely correct.

No Director of Football in his right mind would sanction signing a 30+ year old free agent on what will probably be a multi year contract.

A director of football might wonder why after all this talk of youth and energy our midfield is now significantly older and less energetic than it was at the start of the season.

And they might also wonder why after talking about youth and energy half of our signings this season (including this one) are over the age of 30. 

They might wonder why we now have to sign Joe Ledley on premier league wages (like two other players this season), when we had quite a few perfectly serviceable midfielders at the club already such as Bryson, Elsnik and Butterfield (depending on your disposition towards him).

In the words of Shania Twain, that don't impress me much.

Definitely steer clear would be a complete waste of money Take at least 6 matches to get match fit its legs and energy we need in midfield he's got neither plus he doesn't really want to play for us Yes he's been a great player but that's it been not anymore Of the out of contract players the only one I would take a punt on this Spearing experienced can tackle get about the pitch just what we need 

Frustrating signing if it were to happen but we definitely need someone in there but we are going on very old ground a bit as for me we should have kept and used Bryson and Elsnick but events conspired against us in a very Derby county way but it will be interesting to see 

1  - the contract length 

2 - how he fits in to how we will play

3 - how he actually plays for us

all resulting in that he will be a short term stop gap player or a very good signing for a while longer - everybody can see that we need someone in midfield to tackle and win the ball and give it to someone better further up the pitch which we tried to do with the lad from Birmingham 

8 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Definitely steer clear would be a complete waste of money Take at least 6 matches to get match fit its legs and energy we need in midfield he's got neither plus he doesn't really want to play for us Yes he's been a great player but that's it been not anymore Of the out of contract players the only one I would take a punt on this Spearing experienced can tackle get about the pitch just what we need 

He broke his leg in may 2016 and turned out for wales a month later so can regain fitness quickly.....

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Frustrating signing if it were to happen but we definitely need someone in there but we are going on very old ground a bit as for me we should have kept and used Bryson and Elsnick but events conspired against us in a very Derby county way but it will be interesting to see 

1  - the contract length 

2 - how he fits in to how we will play

3 - how he actually plays for us

all resulting in that he will be a short term stop gap player or a very good signing for a while longer - everybody can see that we need someone in midfield to tackle and win the ball and give it to someone better further up the pitch which we tried to do with the lad from Birmingham 

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spy-camp-inside-track-derby-506924

"A tenacious, dogged midfielder who gives everything in every game... a seven out of 10 man who shields the defence as holding midfield player. Wins the ball and gives it to the team's playmaker... The type whose main work is appreciated by his team-mates and his manager...He's very unsung but very effective at what he does."

---

He sounds definite "boo boy" material, sign him up.

31 minutes ago, hkrammm said:

I don't. But if I am to guess they actually are on £40k (Davies), £45k (Huddlestone), and £50k (Ledley) per week. 

Have no idea where you got that from. 

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/could-cardiff-city-re-sign-13102119

Same place saying that he has signed, reporting that he was on 25k at Palace, so don't really think he'd double his wages to come here would he?

http://sillyseason.com/salary/hull-city-fc-players-salaries-101466/

Also according to this, Hudds was on 18k (who reportedly rejected a pay rise to join us) and Davies 8k at hull at the end of last season. Now these may well be incorrect (especially davies whos wages seem very low), but these figures probalby have more substance than someone guessing their wages.

Ledley offers us something we don't have. Defensively solid, with vast experience especially at international level. With it being a world cup year and with Wales still in with a chance of getting there, there is little chance that this move will be a 'final paycheck' for him. 

If he does sign, lets all give him a chance. Of course you can reserve judgements on players, but make the true final judgement on how he performs in a derby shirt. No one knows if it'll work out or not, so lets wait and see. 

Archived