Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

5 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Could people stop being sure about things. Plenty of managers will be sacked next season because they simply don't know what they are doing (not to the required standard anyway). Why are there so many Derby fans that always have faith in the manager, regardless of who he is. Not simply supporting him, but 'sure' that they know what they are doing.

It's fair to say that Rowett doesn't appear to rate Hughes too highly, that alone should set alarms bells ringing. I can't see how a talented manager would fail to recognise footballing talent when it's right in front of them. We may be stuck with a fairly limited manager. He's probably got some motivational and organisational skills but possibly not much more. I don't see why any of us should be 'sure' about his ability at this point. Lets wait and see.

Why MM is allowing this is another worry, given that he has shown slightly dictatorial tendencies in the past, is he ok with this folly?  Or maybe he promised GR freedom in the transfer market. If so, he must be kicking himself now.

Sorry I'll get down to Pride Park first thing and call the deal off.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Could people stop being sure about things. Plenty of managers will be sacked next season because they simply don't know what they are doing (not to the required standard anyway). Why are there so many Derby fans that always have faith in the manager, regardless of who he is. Not simply supporting him, but 'sure' that they know what they are doing.

It's fair to say that Rowett doesn't appear to rate Hughes too highly, that alone should set alarms bells ringing. I can't see how a talented manager would fail to recognise footballing talent when it's right in front of them. We may be stuck with a fairly limited manager. He's probably got some motivational and organisational skills but possibly not much more. I don't see why any of us should be 'sure' about his ability at this point. Lets wait and see.

Why MM is allowing this is another worry, given that he has shown slightly dictatorial tendencies in the past, is he ok with this folly?  Or maybe he promised GR freedom in the transfer market. If so, he must be kicking himself now.

Good job this board wasn't around in summer 1995 when Bald Eagle sold the Crown Jewels (Short, Williams, Pembridge et al) following on from Kitson, Johnson and Charles being sold previous season, to then replace with van der laan, Daryl Powell, Sean Flynn and Everton reject ex Cambridge...Gary Rowett. 

Could you imagine the reaction at the time? Yet we were promoted. Rowett deserves a chance and we need to trust and back him to do what's necessary otherwise, what hope do we have? 

Rowett given a chance I'm confident will deliver. 

4 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I've heard today off a very reliable source. That the total fee is £8.5 million with potential add ons and a sell on clause. 

Unfortunately we owe £4 million for Anya. So Watford are giving us 4.5 million and writing the money for Anya off. 

Then give them Anya back.

if you fail to keep up the payments on a car, they take the car back. You don't give them your house.

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Good job this board wasn't around in summer 1995 when Bald Eagle sold the Crown Jewels (Short, Williams, Pembridge et al) following on from Kitson, Johnson and Charles being sold previous season, to then replace with van der laan, Daryl Powell, Sean Flynn and Everton reject ex Cambridge...Gary Rowett. 

Could you imagine the reaction at the time? Yet we were promoted. Rowett deserves a chance and we need to trust and back him to do what's necessary otherwise, what hope do we have? 

then he stopped buying shiite and bought Stimac and Asanovic!

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

then he stopped buying shiite and bought Stimac and Asanovic!

They were all good signings as we built a balanced team. We had some flair with the unknown Willems and Stimac, a goal machine in Sturridge who came from nowhere, and steel energy and solidity in van der laan Powell and Flynn. Some of the talented individuals we sold may have not fit into the team. 

Davies and Wisdom are class signings, who is to say more won't come through the door. He's our manager, touted as one of the brightest prospects around, Mel has backed him, we should too as let's face it, we're doomed if this doesn't work!

34 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

And are you just as confident in, and trusting of Rowett now, as you were before you knew he was willing to sell Will Hughes cheaply? 

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

And are you just as confident in, and trusting of Rowett now, as you were before you knew he was willing to sell Will Hughes cheaply? 

Yes. He's succeeded everywhere he's been, regarded as a bright prospect, and more importantly he's addressing the areas of the team that have required attention for some time. The transfer window isn't over yet so I'm now interested to see who he brings in. Losing Hughes is not catastrophic to our chances of success in the championship. That said I'm a Hughes fan and  it's never nice to see your own leave.

As for the transfers, I admit I'm concerned he's selling will on the cheap but if what @MACKWORTHRAM says regarding monies owed on Anya is right and a deal has been struck, then the deal makes sense. But should he be doing transfers as well as everything else, I'm not sure.

If Rowett is sacked before the end of next season then this club will sink to new lows in my opinion. He needs to be given his contract and see where we are, based on his track record I think we will be in a better position than when he took over, just like his previous clubs.

It makes no sense to me at all that you would have as much confidence in Rowett after he agreed to sell Hughes as you would before, unless of course you think it's a good decision. If you do, then I just can't understand where you are coming from at all.  For me, Hughes was more important to the future of this club than Gary Rowett. I can fully understand why he might wish to leave (but i haven't heard he has been demanding it) but i simply can't understand why our club wouldn't fight tooth and nail to keep him. Nor can I understand fans who don't take a dim view of a manager who failed to prioritise keeping the most talented player at the club. 

14 minutes ago, Highgate said:

It makes no sense to me at all that you would have as much confidence in Rowett after he agreed to sell Hughes as you would before, unless of course you think it's a good decision. If you do, then I just can't understand where you are coming from at all.  For me, Hughes was more important to the future of this club than Gary Rowett. I can fully understand why he might wish to leave (but i haven't heard he has been demanding it) but i simply can't understand why our club wouldn't fight tooth and nail to keep him. Nor can I understand fans who don't take a dim view of a manager who failed to prioritise keeping the most talented player at the club. 

Football is a team game, and all managers who are going to be successful, need to get the right squad balance, no one player is more important than this great club and this also includes managers, but I will put my neck on the block here and say Gary will get us promoted within two seasons, and all great managers build from the back, examples of this are the great late Mr Clough, and Mr Fergerson, and both of these managers would get rid of great players  when the time was right, in Mr Rowett I trust.

I find it absolutely staggering that people don't understand Willberforce's contribution. Absolutely staggering. I don't care if I sound pompous, it would seem Hughes is too subtle for some of you to comprehend his brilliance. 

Iniesta recalled his footballing education with the simple phrase; "Recieve, pass, offer. Receive, pass, offer." Xavi? "I get the ball. I pass the ball. I get the ball. I pass the ball. I get the ball." And this is what Will does. @Alpha described him best. He's a buff for everybody else. He'll hang on to the ball until just the right time, taking two, three, four… I even remember on one occasion six players out of the game. He'll use the ball intelligently and so often he'll 'assist the assist'. 

A criticism of his is that he doesn't control games, which is true of the McClaren system in which it wasn't his job to. He was limited to knitting the right side together and in the scrappy games to drop deeper and tip the tide in our favour. 

In the Clough system, when not wide left, he was our deepest midfielder and he was instigating everything. Clough once stated that the team's instructions were to "give the ball to Will and he'll take care of it". And he did. He and Keogh kickstarted 'The Derby Way'. 

Under Wassall he was either the pivot or was in the attacking two which functioned differently to McClaren's system. Ince, Bryson, Hughes and Johnny had complete freedom under Wassall. In the attacking two we saw majestic performances from WillYam. He crated a quite majestic goal for Weimann at Brighton and made more successful dribbles (8) against Hull (A) than any other player in a Championship game in 15/16. 

He's a modern playmaker. He instigates things as opposed to directly creating. He uses the ball intelligently and keeps it no matter what. He could fall in a haystack and come out playing football with the needle. 

And I have no doubt we haven't seen the best of him. I think he's too intelligent for his own good. His X-Factor moments have largely come in friendlies or youth games;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IP41rOm-q5c

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=21TDxGZYIt0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HllQsMVwEqo

As Clough once stated; "Will can be whatever he wants."

And my grief is amplified by the fact that I actually think George is better and I think they'll have played about 8 games together. That's two thirds of a top six midfield in the Prem.

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

I agree with everything you say but we talked about how he'd be a fool to stay.   Will is driving this as he can't languish in this league forever. A)  Probably inserted a release clause when he resigned. Remember it took him awhile to put pen to paper. B) The manager doesn't appear to rate him and C) the squad is bloated and directionless and D) he's not playing consistently with Thorne Bryson and Hendrick. He's been surrounded by numpties who can't pass or get open. 

37 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I agree with everything you say but we talked about how he'd be a fool to stay.   Will is driving this as he can't languish in this league forever. A)  Probably inserted a release clause when he resigned. Remember it took him awhile to put pen to paper. B) The manager doesn't appear to rate him and C) the squad is bloated and directionless and D) he's not playing consistently with Thorne Bryson and Hendrick. He's been surrounded by numpties who can't pass or get open. 

I think that last sentence is key for why some have been disappointed with some recent performances.

He owes us nothing and, given Rowett's apparent lack of regard for what he can deliver, he is doing what is best for his career

Us fans we are all ( mostly) dissapointed with this move but stop to consider for a moment ,,,,, how disappointed is Hughes ??? 

Ffs it Watford !!!!!!! Yes Watford and for a relatively pittance fee , now this is the player that burst on to the scene and was touted as the next English star by all and sundry ,, Watford ffs with nobody else looking even remotely interested ?

heres my theory , it's not that rowett doesn't fancy will and perhaps more that will doesn't fancy rowett ,, he has made it very clear that no matter what the talent level of any player that pulls on our shirt it must be matched by sheer work ethic and attitude and I'm not sure that will has shown that to any manager for a while ,, to me he has lost his way a bit and no manager can have that in the team/ squad , it destroys the will of players around that individual,even Mac made it clear that will should be taking the game more seriously on the training pitch , rowett like Pearson has made it clear that unless you are 100 percent committed and giving everything you've got you are not getting in the team , it's the right and only first building block for any team ,, for all his faults Pearson knew that and we chickened out because of all his other faults ,,

for me will is not a bad egg but has just lost his way ,,, I hope he finds it again and fulfills his potential,best of luck will ,, but onwards and upwards dcfc

PistoldPete2

The squad is big on quantity, short of quality. Solution: sell your best payer for next to nothing.??????  Are we run by muppets?

5 hours ago, cannable said:

I find it absolutely staggering that people don't understand Willberforce's contribution. Absolutely staggering. I don't care if I sound pompous, it would seem Hughes is too subtle for some of you to comprehend his brilliance. 

Iniesta recalled his footballing education with the simple phrase; "Recieve, pass, offer. Receive, pass, offer." Xavi? "I get the ball. I pass the ball. I get the ball. I pass the ball. I get the ball." And this is what Will does. @Alpha described him best. He's a buff for everybody else. He'll hang on to the ball until just the right time, taking two, three, four… I even remember on one occasion six players out of the game. He'll use the ball intelligently and so often he'll 'assist the assist'. 

A criticism of his is that he doesn't control games, which is true of the McClaren system in which it wasn't his job to. He was limited to knitting the right side together and in the scrappy games to drop deeper and tip the tide in our favour. 

In the Clough system, when not wide left, he was our deepest midfielder and he was instigating everything. Clough once stated that the team's instructions were to "give the ball to Will and he'll take care of it". And he did. He and Keogh kickstarted 'The Derby Way'. 

Under Wassall he was either the pivot or was in the attacking two which functioned differently to McClaren's system. Ince, Bryson, Hughes and Johnny had complete freedom under Wassall. In the attacking two we saw majestic performances from WillYam. He crated a quite majestic goal for Weimann at Brighton and made more successful dribbles (8) against Hull (A) than any other player in a Championship game in 15/16. 

He's a modern playmaker. He instigates things as opposed to directly creating. He uses the ball intelligently and keeps it no matter what. He could fall in a haystack and come out playing football with the needle. 

And I have no doubt we haven't seen the best of him. I think he's too intelligent for his own good. His X-Factor moments have largely come in friendlies or youth games;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IP41rOm-q5c

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=21TDxGZYIt0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HllQsMVwEqo

As Clough once stated; "Will can be whatever he wants."

And my grief is amplified by the fact that I actually think George is better and I think they'll have played about 8 games together. That's two thirds of a top six midfield in the Prem.

I was just about getting over this, and then you mentioned that Hull game and I remembered how good he is again. 

To listen to some of you lot it's amazing to think that every single professional football team that's ever achieved a promotion in their entire history did so WITHOUT Will Hughes. You're acting like we may as well just pack up and go home now. Pathetic lot.

2 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

To listen to some of you lot it's amazing to think that every single professional football team that's ever achieved a promotion in their entire history did so WITHOUT Will Hughes. You're acting like we may as well just pack up and go home now. Pathetic lot.

Yeah cos we can just go out and buy a replacement! Just like we've done with good ol' JR! S'easy init.

Archived