Keogh

TroyDyer

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

This thread has turned into utter speculation. Does anyone have any proof Keogh is going apart from pub talk? 

49 minutes ago, mickram said:

Go further back and the very well informed SDSR says Wednesday did bid for Keogh but he's heard nothing more.

Yeah @SuperDerbySuperRams is the one to look out for on here for the updates. ??

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, RamNut said:

....and why you wouldn't want to sign him.

I'd argue the exact opposite... There aren't many times when you can sign a 25 year old CB that's played for England for a highly reduced fee and probable wage cut. 

Bear in mind, this is exactly the sort of transfer Brian Clough would have liked, a player with personal issues (meaning they're far cheaper) that can be resolved, ie. cut price fee for someone who was deemed talented enough to play for England a few years ago

I was quite impressed by the Caulker article and the honesty of it. Could prove to be a master stroke by the team brave enough to gamble. If he is over his problems and eager to prove himself would potentially be a excellent signing. Especially if paired with someone like Davies. 

15 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

I was quite impressed by the Caulker article and the honesty of it. Could prove to be a master stroke by the team brave enough to gamble. If he is over his problems and eager to prove himself would potentially be a excellent signing. Especially if paired with someone like Davies. 

If Keogh does go then we still have Davies and Wisdom with Pearce, Shackell, Rawson.....

But there is also no denying that Caulker can play and if he's happy to address his demons and get help then why shouldn't we be the club to give the lad a helping hand.

An arm round the shoulder with good people to support him and that could well be the inspiration he needs to see that there is a way forward.

Don't really like to hear about "why take the risk" when someone is obviously struggling.

If he worked in a factory or most other walks of life he wouldnt be so quickly judged as he has been because he's a sports man.

A poorly mind is an absolute curse.

If Keogh stays (fingers crossed) and we don't pursue Caulker then I'll say here and now that I truly hope he finds a good club, has a long career and is happy in himself. 

20 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Derby fans would've rioted if they knew Paul McGrath's issues before signing him!!

Yeah....personal problems and injury problems aplenty, no doubt. 

But 7 straight years of playing 30+ games in the Premier League immediately before joining Derby...plus a Premier League's Player's Player of the Year in the bag.  Not quite the same as Caulker who hasn't played regularly for 2 seasons now. 

Plus McGrath was an absolute legend for club and country.

3 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yeah....personal problems and injury problems aplenty, no doubt. 

But 7 straight years of playing 30+ games in the Premier League immediately before joining Derby...plus a Premier League's Player's Player of the Year in the bag.  Not quite the same as Caulker who hasn't played regularly for 2 seasons now. 

Plus McGrath was an absolute legend for club and country.

point stands though. We were PL when we signed McGrath, so it's relative-subjective. Fans using Caulker's issues, not his potential/ability is foolish. We should steer clear if we have a manager we don't trust to handle him.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

point stands though. We were PL when we signed McGrath, so it's relative-subjective. Fans using Caulker's issues, not his potential/ability is foolish. We should steer clear if we have a manager we don't trust to handle him.

Yeah, it's all about risk assessment really.  Do we think that he can return to something like his previous levels?  Seems to be worth a punt if you ask me. It may work...it may not. Potential reward is high. 

Just now, Highgate said:

Yeah, it's all about risk assessment really.  Do we think that he can return to something like his previous levels?  Seems to be worth a punt if you ask me. It may work...it may not. Potential reward is high. 

the compassionate thinker in me believes that self-awareness is the biggest/hardest hurdle to overcome. Once the denial is gone, it can be plain-sailing with the right support/attitude and treatment.

Caulker for me, is plenty young enough to salvage a cracking career.

26 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

This Keogh thread seems to have morphed into a Caulker thread for which there is one already.   :blink:

Perhaps it's cos there's not a lot more to be said about Keogh going, evidence based that is. :D

9 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Perhaps QPR would do a season-long loan swap - Shackell for Caulker, like we did when we swapped Jordan Stewart for Lee Hendrie?

That ain't a bad idea.

Bet they're dying to get him off the wage bill.

And I can imagine Holloway to be quite an abrasive personality.

Not saying he's a bad bloke but just comes across acerbic.

Be more tempted to shove Pearce their way but the obvious problem there is would they take him.

When all said and done I'd be happier to see Keogh stay and others leave to accommodate Caulker because then you have a very good player waiting for his chance to ressurect his career with arguably a better club.

Bigger better stadium, more fans, hopefully more chance of promotion.

Again though I want our captain to stay.

Good honest reliable pro, who seems to carry himself with a great deal of dignity and gives our club his everything every game from first whistle to last.

Can see Davies taking the arm band to be honest. 

What am I missing ? Apart from a couple posters with inside knowledge saying he was gone, there's not a shred of evidence anywhere that Sheff W are interested. Can we get some specific indications of an impending transfer? Thanks in advance. 

And he wasn't at training cuz he had the internationals were excused. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

the compassionate thinker in me believes that self-awareness is the biggest/hardest hurdle to overcome. Once the denial is gone, it can be plain-sailing with the right support/attitude and treatment.

Caulker for me, is plenty young enough to salvage a cracking career.

That is the most thoughtful, compassionate post I've seen on this or any other forum.

Thank you Mostyn.

11 minutes ago, feisty said:

I still think Keogh and Shackell are the two best centre halves at the club

Maybe 3 years ago, shackell is now finished. Imo not even as good as Buxton nowadays, yet no one wanted Buxton back and some still think shackell is our best cb. ???

Keogh has been without doubt our best defender for the last 3 seasons

24 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

That ain't a bad idea.

Bet they're dying to get him off the wage bill.

And I can imagine Holloway to be quite an abrasive personality.

Not saying he's a bad bloke but just comes across acerbic.

The Guardian interview said Holloway was helpful and on side, but the owners wanted rid.

Archived