Apple

Day

9 minutes ago, David said:

iOS 11 is now publicly released by the way. iPad users should love this update, introduces a new dock, no more home button presses, just swipe up to show the dock.

Waste of time, my iPads just for playing games on.

i must get some.

1 hour ago, David said:

Holding the settings key allow you to remap it to a comma.

Showing a 3rd party app highlights a major issue in that an iPhone out the box works, no need to go through different keyboards and all that.

You tried holding the full stop down?

It's great that iPhone comes out of the box how you like it but if you want to change It, what can you do?

These chains are great, they feel really comfortable.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You tried holding the full stop down?

It's great that iPhone comes out of the box how you like it but if you want to change It, what can you do?

These chains are great, they feel really comfortable.

You can install 3rd party keyboards still, Gboard, swiftkey are both available but there is really no need. 

10 hours ago, David said:

I do, I have Philips Hue bulbs setup around the house which I can either control using Siri or in iOS 10 swipe up and across, or iOS 11 swipe up and press the home icon.

Probably a bunch of stuff people didn't know about.

IMG_0361.PNG

Can you get those light bulbs without having to have some sort of hub as wel? I looked into them but thought you needed the nest thermostat or something similar to use them. I really wanted to get some for my parents. Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?

10 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Can you get those light bulbs without having to have some sort of hub as wel? I looked into them but thought you needed the nest thermostat or something similar to use them. I really wanted to get some for my parents. Or did I get the wrong end of the stick?

Philips Hue needs the hub, you can get starter packs with it bundled in. Ethernet cable into the router and Bobs ya uncle 

2 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Are the bulbs just as simple as plug into the ceiling fixture?

Yeah, straight swap.

You have to leave the light switch on to control them with the app, so avoid using them in rooms which have extractor fans that come with the light.

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

£129.97 from currys! They can buy that one themselves. 

The 3 bulb starter kit?

Bulbs are like £50 usually each for the colour ones. Cheaper if you get just white bulbs, you can still dim them and everything, just no colour options.

8 hours ago, Moist One said:

what about sound quality (music playback) and ease of camera use? what about ease of data transfer? these are the things that matter @David I came from a Sony Xperia Z3 compact back to iPhone 7, and the Sony actually wins on all of those, and music and photos are important to me.

Data transfer from phone to phone is great with smart switch NFC on on both phones and it transfers everything, puts all the home screens as they were on the old phone and transfers all the setting over too. If you mean data transfer to a computer I don't know because I don't own one

1 hour ago, David said:

The 3 bulb starter kit?

Bulbs are like £50 usually each for the colour ones. Cheaper if you get just white bulbs, you can still dim them and everything, just no colour options.

18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Get a long stick and then you can switch em on and off from your chair.

Dim and Dimmer......

2 hours ago, David said:

The 3 bulb starter kit?

Hmm, £50 for a bulb seems a bit steep. Not sure I can justify that. I’ll probably have to go with @Boycies big stick method for now. 

27 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I'm eagerly awaiting a review of the new phone! 

The new phones will be obsolete within a month when the iPhone x comes out. The iPhone 8 s I've seen today look much like the 6s or the 7s. Had a look at the new watch now has cellular ...screen is pretty tiny of course.

“Feels like a toy” is what I said, that’s because I’ve gone from 2 years using a plus model and back to the original size iPhone now. Used to having something larger in my hand.

The only differences between the X and 8 is the camera which adds new features you will barely use and the full OLED screen.

The 8 has the same chip and Ram so won’t feel any different to use. The 8 plus has an extra gb ram and larger battery.

It does feel better in the hand, not as slippy, the extra weight makes it better balanced to use. I’ll get used to the size difference.

Missus picked up the gold, if you’re a man don’t do it, very very feminine looking, the trim is gold but the back is a sandy/pink almost foundation like.

Space grey is black, not sure why they have to be fancy with the name. Maybe it looks lighter in some light conditions but it’s black.

Not much else to say, it’s a super quick, great looking phone. Most powerful on the market Geekbench tests have shown. 

The 8 plus with 3 gbs of ram has given better performance results than the Note 8 with 6gb of ram. Just shows you more hardware doesn’t paper over the software cracks. 

Buy it. Unless you want the X for the full screen.