Apple

Day

6 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Make sure they're the fast charging ones the standard wireless ones are painfully slow

They are the standard 5 but fast charge at 10 with an adaptor. I’ve got one Anker adapter already for downstairs. Upstairs they charge over night anyhow so no need to fast charge

Due to a loophole in O2's t&c's, I have a Samsung S8 arriving today. Yes, a Samsung S8. Chances of me keeping it are very slim mind you, an iPhone 8 is on pre order due to arrive this week.

I have sim only deals as it works out cheaper, my O2 sim only deal runs out in May. With EE right now I can get the same sim only deal but with 6 months Apple Music, 3 months BT Sport app and a £40 Amazon voucher.

To just end my O2 contract I would have to pay the £21pm for the remainder of the contract so would make little sense to switch.

BUT.

If you upgrade to a phone contract, you have 14 days cooling off period in which you can terminate your account. O2 do not switch you back to your previous tariff, you are contractless leaving you free to go wherever with no cancellation charges.

Double checked with Live Chat, took screenshots, all true. 

So I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about, I never just comment on Android phones having never used one, I had a S7 Edge that I played with for a week before confirming it was rubbish compared to an iPhone. 

Another interesting thing which isn't probably interesting, O2 split your contract between device and airtime, the S8 works out at £600. If I was to fall in love with the phone, I could pay the £600 and end the contract with O2 there and then. The same phone is £690 from Samsung direct. 

Can't see it happening, expect my love for the iPhone to be stronger by this afternoon.

20 minutes ago, David said:

Due to a loophole in O2's t&c's, I have a Samsung S8 arriving today. Yes, a Samsung S8. Chances of me keeping it are very slim mind you, an iPhone 8 is on pre order due to arrive this week.

I have sim only deals as it works out cheaper, my O2 sim only deal runs out in May. With EE right now I can get the same sim only deal but with 6 months Apple Music, 3 months BT Sport app and a £40 Amazon voucher.

To just end my O2 contract I would have to pay the £21pm for the remainder of the contract so would make little sense to switch.

BUT.

If you upgrade to a phone contract, you have 14 days cooling off period in which you can terminate your account. O2 do not switch you back to your previous tariff, you are contractless leaving you free to go wherever with no cancellation charges.

Double checked with Live Chat, took screenshots, all true. 

So I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about, I never just comment on Android phones having never used one, I had a S7 Edge that I played with for a week before confirming it was rubbish compared to an iPhone. 

Another interesting thing which isn't probably interesting, O2 split your contract between device and airtime, the S8 works out at £600. If I was to fall in love with the phone, I could pay the £600 and end the contract with O2 there and then. The same phone is £690 from Samsung direct. 

Can't see it happening, expect my love for the iPhone to be stronger by this afternoon.

One useful thing on the Samsung camera is voice activated shooting, suprised iPhone doesn't have it.

6 minutes ago, froggg said:

One useful thing on the Samsung camera is voice activated shooting, suprised iPhone doesn't have it.

Lots of nice things on there, never been a total hater but it's a big step to make if I was ever to consider it.

Say what you like about Apple but their ecosystem is second to none, especially when you have a number of devices.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Lots of nice things on there, never been a total hater but it's a big step to make if I was ever to consider it.

Say what you like about Apple but their ecosystem is second to none, especially when you have a number of devices.

was reading about iOS11 earlier, and it had a bit about the "Home" app, which I've never used as when I opened it, it referred to thermostats, locks, alarms etc. In the article, it suggests this app is used for controlling things like wireless speakers around the house. Do you use it Dave?

I wonder how many things I do not use cos I simply do not understand what they do!

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

FTFY

You haven't fixed it but made some questionable comments, limited and inflexible in what way?

Slow I can rubbish easily, I can grab my phone right now, take a pic, open the photos app on my MacBook or iMac and it's there instantly.

Message, sounds like a Wetherspoons kitchen, ding ding ding.

Calendar, the same, reminders, notes, instant.

Slow? utter rubbish. If you are seeing any slowness, that would be your internet connection.

8 minutes ago, Moist One said:

was reading about iOS11 earlier, and it had a bit about the "Home" app, which I've never used as when I opened it, it referred to thermostats, locks, alarms etc. In the article, it suggests this app is used for controlling things like wireless speakers around the house. Do you use it Dave?

I wonder how many things I do not use cos I simply do not understand what they do!

I do, I have Philips Hue bulbs setup around the house which I can either control using Siri or in iOS 10 swipe up and across, or iOS 11 swipe up and press the home icon.

Probably a bunch of stuff people didn't know about.

IMG_0361.PNG

2 hours ago, David said:

You haven't fixed it but made some questionable comments, limited and inflexible in what way?

Slow I can rubbish easily, I can grab my phone right now, take a pic, open the photos app on my MacBook or iMac and it's there instantly.

Message, sounds like a Wetherspoons kitchen, ding ding ding.

Calendar, the same, reminders, notes, instant.

Slow? utter rubbish. If you are seeing any slowness, that would be your internet connection.

Macs really struggle with multi tasking, iPhones have tiny storage capacities and iPads are pointless for anything other than playing games - which you can do on a cheap Android tablet for 10% of the cost. All three have slow processing speeds compared to their PC and Android equivalents...they do look pretty though :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Macs really struggle with multi tasking, iPhones have tiny storage capacities and iPads are pointless for anything other than playing games - which you can do on a cheap Android tablet for 10% of the cost. All three have slow processing speeds compared to their PC and Android equivalents...they do look pretty though :thumbsup:

In what way? My Mac's can have a number of apps open, never any problems at all. In fact no Windows device would come close to the speed of a Mac, might have the hardware specs but they don't have the optimised software

9 minutes ago, David said:

In what way? My Mac's can have a number of apps open, never any problems at all. In fact no Windows device would come close to the speed of a Mac, might have the hardware specs but they don't have the optimised software

On my PC (now 4 years old) I can watch iPlayer in a small window, edit a photograph, use Dragon to dictate an article and send an email all at the same time. On my wife's Macbook Pro (6 months old), even trying to edit a photo whilst doing an internet search results in a thirty second pause whilst that irritating spinny thing makes its hundredth appearance of the day.

Edited by CornwallRam

Just now, CornwallRam said:

On my PC (now 4 years old) I can watch iPlayer in a small window, edit a photograph, use Dragon to dictate an article and send an email all at the same time. On my wife's Macbook Pro (6 months old), even opening trying to edit a photo whilst doing an internet search results in a thirty second pause whilst that irritating spinny thing makes its hundredth appearance of the day.

I would suggest that she has an issue somewhere then as I can be watching YouTube whilst exporting a Podcast and internet searches with Skype call going and zero issues

2 minutes ago, David said:

I would suggest that she has an issue somewhere then as I can be watching YouTube whilst exporting a Podcast and internet searches with Skype call going and zero issues

...and that highlights another issue. When a PC starts to play up with a software issue, you can just clean out unwanted files, runs a malware scan and tidy up the registry. It's easy to do and there is loads of helpful advice online. When a Mac struggles, you are pretty much stuffed once you've cleaned out the file system. Such an inflexible infrastructure set up.

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

...and that highlights another issue. When a PC starts to play up with a software issue, you can just clean out unwanted files, runs a malware scan and tidy up the registry. It's easy to do and there is loads of helpful advice online. When a Mac struggles, you are pretty much stuffed once you've cleaned out the file system. Such an inflexible infrastructure set up.

Well I've had Mac's for years now and never once needed to do any of that, force close app, reopen.

Probably why you're not finding a great deal of help online 

11 minutes ago, David said:

So you're saying Samsung are not improving their phones?

I don't know. I wouldn't have one for free. But if you seriously thought the s7 was rubbish, how much would the s8 have to have improved by, for you to think it was OK? Nothing is going to improve that much :). 

Just now, ketteringram said:

I don't know. I wouldn't have one for free. But if you seriously thought the s7 was rubbish, how much would the s8 have to have improved by, for you to think it was OK? Nothing is going to improve that much :). 

It's changed a fair bit, I tried the edge and was impossible to use as the palm rejection was terrible, no such issues this year.

Software is slightly improved but I would need to jump on my Mac to write it all as typing on this keyboard is not an enjoyable experience and there lies the problem.

7 minutes ago, David said:

It's changed a fair bit, I tried the edge and was impossible to use as the palm rejection was terrible, no such issues this year.

Software is slightly improved but I would need to jump on my Mac to write it all as typing on this keyboard is not an enjoyable experience and there lies the problem.

That is one of my main gripes with the iPhone, just cannot get on with the keyboard. Always feels like a chore and really hard to do.