Apple

Day

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

That is one of my main gripes with the iPhone, just cannot get on with the keyboard. Always feels like a chore and really hard to do.

Really? I find that impossible to believe. You have to be so much more precise with what you are pressing on this and the auto correct fails to kick in at times. Why can't you have auto correct on without predictive?

1 minute ago, David said:

Really? I find that impossible to believe. You have to be so much more precise with what you are pressing on this and the auto correct fails to kick in at times. Why can't you have auto correct on without predictive?

I guess it is down to what you are used to. I have been using Samsungs for nearly 6 years and I don't have the predictive or auto correct on.

tech question. I've got a new iPad pro, and have been trying to justify the idea of ridding myself of the laptop and just using the iPad. But I just cannot see how I could.

I use my laptop for most basic things, and I do prefer typing on actual keys, I am a touch typists, and can type very fast with about 6-7 fingers/thumbs being used when typing. However, with the ipad I tend to hold it in one hand and finger prod the keyboard with the other hand, nowhere near as fast.

So to my question(s): 1)I play FM (football manager) surely the iPad version will never be as good as the Windows version. Will they ever reach parity? 2) I use a GPS watch for golf, I plug this in via USB to update the course information every couple of months, how could I do this on iPad?

4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

So to my question(s): 1)I play FM (football manager) surely the iPad version will never be as good as the Windows version. Will they ever reach parity? 2) I use a GPS watch for golf, I plug this in via USB to update the course information every couple of months, how could I do this on iPad?

1) Not for a couple years yet, then who knows.

2) You can get a dongle to club USB devices in but you should check with the watch manual first to see if it will play nice. 

32 minutes ago, David said:

It's changed a fair bit, I tried the edge and was impossible to use as the palm rejection was terrible, no such issues this year.

Software is slightly improved but I would need to jump on my Mac to write it all as typing on this keyboard is not an enjoyable experience and there lies the problem.

Have you tried using SwiftKey? It's one of those things that improves the more you use it, but it's way better than the stock keyboard. 

Morning with Android as an Apple "Fanboy"

Things I like.

1) The phone, it feels and looks amazing, almost too solid and well built if that is a thing. When I go back and hold the iPhone it feels awful but I knew this would happen. 

2) The unsecure facial recognition. Super quick even if a photo can unlock the phone.

3) The default browser is much improved, better than Chrome. Little touches like the goto the top of the page icon that pops up really helps when you can no longer click on the clock to go to the top. Not all great though, see the bad.

4) Screenshots, just a little cool thing is when opening the photo, you can select go to url where the screenshot was taken.

5) Samsung Connect syncs with my TV and it's super quick, you can even mirror the screen and sound back to the phone. Would never use it mind you.

6) Swipe down/up for apps. I do like Androids home screen implementation, where all other apps can be hidden. 

The bad

1) Slooow, for a flagship phone why so slow? Apps, browser page loads, all feels a little clunky. Scrolling through twitter, profile pictures start popping up 2/3 seconds later as you scroll past. All heart icons on this forum are lit up pink, yet another browser to apply more tweaks for. 

2) The keyboard, horrendous, this maybe as I've used Apples for years now and been using the large 7+.

3) No reachability, ok you can press the home key 3 times, lowers the full screen but Apple's dropping of the screen is so much easier.

4) No Philips Hue in Samsung's connect app. They are like the most popular light bulb but no, you have to buy another Samsung hub for it to work. Nah.

5) Sooooo many apps, Google's version, Samsung's version, Microsoft. Bixby on one button, Google Assistant the other. 

6) Sooooo many settings, literally took me over an hour to go through everything and still think I've not covered everything.

Have put my SIM card in. Will use it for 48hrs. Unlikely I'll stay. As great as the phone is, yet again Samsung's layer of turd on top of Android makes it a phone that will frustrate and end up being launched across the room. 

1 minute ago, Moist One said:

what about sound quality (music playback) and ease of camera use? what about ease of data transfer? these are the things that matter @David I came from a Sony Xperia Z3 compact back to iPhone 7, and the Sony actually wins on all of those, and music and photos are important to me.

Haven't tried music or camera yet, data transfer it has imported contacts and photos from iCloud.

Photos are not in order, complete mess, didn't import notes which was an option 

2 hours ago, David said:

Morning with Android as an Apple "Fanboy"

Things I like.

1) The phone, it feels and looks amazing, almost too solid and well built if that is a thing. When I go back and hold the iPhone it feels awful but I knew this would happen. 

2) The unsecure facial recognition. Super quick even if a photo can unlock the phone.

3) The default browser is much improved, better than Chrome. Little touches like the goto the top of the page icon that pops up really helps when you can no longer click on the clock to go to the top. Not all great though, see the bad.

4) Screenshots, just a little cool thing is when opening the photo, you can select go to url where the screenshot was taken.

5) Samsung Connect syncs with my TV and it's super quick, you can even mirror the screen and sound back to the phone. Would never use it mind you.

6) Swipe down/up for apps. I do like Androids home screen implementation, where all other apps can be hidden. 

The bad

1) Slooow, for a flagship phone why so slow? Apps, browser page loads, all feels a little clunky. Scrolling through twitter, profile pictures start popping up 2/3 seconds later as you scroll past. All heart icons on this forum are lit up pink, yet another browser to apply more tweaks for. 

2) The keyboard, horrendous, this maybe as I've used Apples for years now and been using the large 7+.

3) No reachability, ok you can press the home key 3 times, lowers the full screen but Apple's dropping of the screen is so much easier.

4) No Philips Hue in Samsung's connect app. They are like the most popular light bulb but no, you have to buy another Samsung hub for it to work. Nah.

5) Sooooo many apps, Google's version, Samsung's version, Microsoft. Bixby on one button, Google Assistant the other. 

6) Sooooo many settings, literally took me over an hour to go through everything and still think I've not covered everything.

Have put my SIM card in. Will use it for 48hrs. Unlikely I'll stay. As great as the phone is, yet again Samsung's layer of turd on top of Android makes it a phone that will frustrate and end up being launched across the room. 

Could of saved time by saying......

The bad

1) It isn't a iPhone

2 minutes ago, Hucknall Ram said:

Could of saved time by saying......

The bad

1) It isn't a iPhone

True!

I'll be keeping the iPhone 8.

Wait for the EE SIM, send this bad boy back. Found more I like, more I hate but can't be arsed, like you say, it's not an iPhone.

Will say this though, much better than the S7 edge.

52 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Errm, I could have told you it wasn't an iPhone before you ordered it.

I had to switch to a phone contract so I could get released without charge to join EE. No point in ordering another iPhone 7 to send straight back, may as well see what all the hype over on the other side is about and it's not all that......predictably.