Apple

Day

Got another iPhone arriving today. 

The silver 8. Only had a white phone once but after a few days of the space grey it looks like it’s been handled by a greasy fingered toddler.

Guess that’s the downside of having wireless charging.

Need to see this silver up close, decide if I can be happy with it for 2 years. Colour decisions aside this is as good as it will get for a non full screen phone. 

Just something a little girly looking about white phones. Need to see it up close.

11 hours ago, GboroRam said:

My wife gave up on the iPhone. Met every one of her requirements, but she couldn't accept every single picture I ever took was better quality than anything she took. She's gone Samsung and hasn't looked back.

Hmm while I do agree with the camera being very good. I swapped from an Iphone to a HTC. Loved the HTC it was superb. But last year I decided to try Samsung. What a disaster. It has been back for repairs more times than I care to think about. Eventually it was beyond repair so got a new one. This one is playing up as well. Still have a year on my contract. 

Can't justify the outrageous prices to keep up with the Iphone revolution. So I will be looking for some thing else and hoping for the best.

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Hmm while I do agree with the camera being very good. I swapped from an Iphone to a HTC. Loved the HTC it was superb. But last year I decided to try Samsung. What a disaster. It has been back for repairs more times than I care to think about. Eventually it was beyond repair so got a new one. This one is playing up as well. Still have a year on my contract. 

Can't justify the outrageous prices to keep up with the Iphone revolution. So I will be looking for some thing else and hoping for the best.

New consumer law should cover you for a length of time now if it’s a manufacturing defect.

Apple cover you for 6 years, you might know this but so many still don’t. If they can’t repair they have to offer a refund/exchange. 

41 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Have you looked at the Huawei p10? 

I haven't, other than reading reviews! But it does seem to rate quite highly. Although it does have some less keen reviews too! 

I'm still 'browsing' . Always been Android, but who knows, maybe I'll jump ship and move to the dark side. I'm allergic to any device made by Samsung. So with that out of the equation, what is in direct competition with the iPhone 8?

1 hour ago, David said:

Got another iPhone arriving today. 

The silver 8. Only had a white phone once but after a few days of the space grey it looks like it’s been handled by a greasy fingered toddler.

Guess that’s the downside of having wireless charging.

Need to see this silver up close, decide if I can be happy with it for 2 years. Colour decisions aside this is as good as it will get for a non full screen phone. 

Just something a little girly looking about white phones. Need to see it up close.

Is this an improvement on the 7?

Is wireless charging any use?

Which one is the better upgrade on a 7?

Just now, coneheadjohn said:

Is this an improvement on the 7?

Is wireless charging any use?

Which one is the better upgrade on a 7?

Each year be it Apple, Samsung, HTC they all release phones which are an improvement on the last model. The question is, are the improvements enough to warrant an upgrade.

You will see these tech reviewers tell you not to upgrade from a 7 to a 8, it's not a big enough jump, but if wireless charging will change your life then it's worth it.

I have wireless pads now around the house, every room I walk in can just pop it on, no pulling adapters and moving cables around the house. I love it, the missus loves it. 

I've gone from a 7+ to a a regular 8 so I can't really like for like compare, the 8 feels much better in the hand, the glass back whilst adding a slight bit of weight feels more sturdy in the hand. The downside is, say you stick your phone on the sofa, on your leg and there is a slight gradient, your phone will slide down. 

iOS 11 just feels that bit quicker with the new 8, not a wow quick, we're talking F1 timing required quick. Siri loads and acts on your request instantly, I can even say Hey Siri and continue with my request without waiting for it to load. 

The camera is better, the colours are more vibrant and pictures sharper. The 8+ has more options with the camera with the dual lens, depth effects, portrait mode. 

The sound, that really is noticeable. I would watch YouTube videos on max volume before, now I listen at maybe half to 3/4 volume. More bass as well. Makes the Samsung S8 sound like a £2.50 portable speaker you would buy from Skegness souvenir shop.

If you have the money but can't justify the cost of the X and fancy a refresh go for it.

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Been Samsung since as long as I can remember. Galaxy Ace 2, S3 (x3), S5, S6 edge, S7, S8, Core Prime - all the family. Not one hardware issue other than a cracked screen.

Just now, GboroRam said:

Been Samsung since as long as I can remember. Galaxy Ace 2, S3 (x3), S5, S6 edge, S7, S8, Core Prime - all the family. Not one hardware issue other than a cracked screen.

Skipped the Note 7 then? :whistle:

3 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I haven't, other than reading reviews! But it does seem to rate quite highly. Although it does have some less keen reviews too! 

I'm still 'browsing' . Always been Android, but who knows, maybe I'll jump ship and move to the dark side. I'm allergic to any device made by Samsung. So with that out of the equation, what is in direct competition with the iPhone 8?

My sister-in-law has one and she swears by it. 

By comparison, she has had all of the above mentioned phones (in this topic) so might be an option. 

Android isn't just Samsung. I had a Sony Xperia Z3. The battery was epic. The camera was better than anything I have seen before or since, and the sound quality of the inbuilt walkman (when bluetooth streaming or via headphones) was infinitely better than any iPhone.

Until iphone7, their (Apple) cameras were bang average, and not a patch on any top-end android. They are now competitive in this field, and better than some. A lot of work needs doing on the iPhone, and their sister scam company Beats to get up to exceptional sound quality though, and this is important to me. I'm still using a Sony Vaio MP3 player from 2005 which has much better sound quality than my iphones, ipod or ipad.

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

My wife is Samsung through and through and other than a software issue on her last one, she has had no problems. (Her last one was well overdue an upgrade to be fair). Not for me as I can only go on my experience.

4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

Android isn't just Samsung. I had a Sony Xperia Z3. The battery was epic. The camera was better than anything I have seen before or since, and the sound quality of the inbuilt walkman (when bluetooth streaming or via headphones) was infinitely better than any iPhone.

Until iphone7, their (Apple) cameras were bang average, and not a patch on any top-end android. They are now competitive in this field, and better than some. A lot of work needs doing on the iPhone, and their sister scam company Beats to get up to exceptional sound quality though, and this is important to me. I'm still using a Sony Vaio MP3 player from 2005 which has much better sound quality than my iphones, ipod or ipad.

Seen you talk about this before, streaming music on an iPhone quality thing, I don't doubt you, in fact I question it myself more as I really don't have any issues with it at all. Find a lot comes down the headphones yet I know you have a decent pair.

Are you talking sound quality or is it disconnecting, buffering or something?

Just now, David said:

Seen you talk about this before, streaming music on an iPhone quality thing, I don't doubt you, in fact I question it myself more as I really don't have any issues with it at all. Find a lot comes down the headphones yet I know you have a decent pair.

Are you talking sound quality or is it disconnecting, buffering or something?

just the sound quality, the listening experience, the range and acoustic quality. Even in the car.

I ripped all my CDs at the same time, to a laptop, and have transferred from the same source onto all devices, similarly, just the quality of Spotify or Google Music, lacks something when comparing the Apple Product(s) to the Sony(s).

I use my devices probably 10:1 "music" to "phone use".

6 minutes ago, Moist One said:

just the sound quality, the listening experience, the range and acoustic quality. Even in the car.

I ripped all my CDs at the same time, to a laptop, and have transferred from the same source onto all devices, similarly, just the quality of Spotify or Google Music, lacks something when comparing the Apple Product(s) to the Sony(s).

I use my devices probably 10:1 "music" to "phone use".

I've always thought audiophiles were just snobs, whilst some products out there like Beats for one are more fashion/fad purchases and you can get the same if not better for a fraction of the price, I've never found them particularly bad to listen with. 

Can see why people dislike them or more the people that buy them, but then you have those that have a strong dislike for Bose, feels like it's just a hate for things that are recognised brands.

Now I see people like you complain about the iPhone streaming quality and think my ears are probably just not as in tune as others. I'm easily pleased kinda thing. Being an audiophile is a real thing, not just snobs with their exclusive products, especially when yours is a Sony special.

Just now, David said:

I've always thought audiophiles were just snobs, whilst some products out there like Beats for one are more fashion/fad purchases and you can get the same if not better for a fraction of the price, I've never found them particularly bad to listen with. 

Can see why people dislike them or more the people that buy them, but then you have those that have a strong dislike for Bose, feels like it's just a hate for things that are recognised brands.

Now I see people like you complain about the iPhone streaming quality and think my ears are probably just not as in tune as others. I'm easily pleased kinda thing. Being an audiophile is a real thing, not just snobs with their exclusive products, especially when yours is a Sony special.

I probably have about 15-20 devices around the flat, some in boxes, or dumped in drawers. I also have stupid amounts of headphones and earphones. I spend ages when I get a new car getting the Audio balance right too. I'm a frustrated/failed musician, but probably spent a long time in my younger years trying to pick out certain instruments in music. It's not snobbery. My chosen in-ear wireless headphones are Taotronics. I also have some Bose QC35s but only really use them on a plane, cos the ambient noise ruins my music. For sound alone, in bed, I will listen to some Sennheisers, and at work I have a pair of lightweight AKGs which can fit in my laptop bag, so it's simply about sound quality. When I had Samsung phones, the music quality was average, same with iphone 4 and 5. ipod classic was a bit better, and I got used to that in the car, then when I went back over to Sony, the improvement was shocking.

4 minutes ago, Moist One said:

I probably have about 15-20 devices around the flat, some in boxes, or dumped in drawers. I also have stupid amounts of headphones and earphones. I spend ages when I get a new car getting the Audio balance right too. I'm a frustrated/failed musician, but probably spent a long time in my younger years trying to pick out certain instruments in music. It's not snobbery. My chosen in-ear wireless headphones are Taotronics. I also have some Bose QC35s but only really use them on a plane, cos the ambient noise ruins my music. For sound alone, in bed, I will listen to some Sennheisers, and at work I have a pair of lightweight AKGs which can fit in my laptop bag, so it's simply about sound quality. When I had Samsung phones, the music quality was average, same with iphone 4 and 5. ipod classic was a bit better, and I got used to that in the car, then when I went back over to Sony, the improvement was shocking.

I've gone through more headphones than I'd like to remember, wasted tons on them but more often than not it comes down to comfort/function than sound. On occasions I have cast some aside for having not enough bass, too much treble but very rare.

Like you I have the QC35's, upgraded from the 25's which are now living at Boycie's house. Only reason for that was bluetooth, can now watch Netflix through Apple TV with those on blocking out the dog making a racket.

Apple AirPods, as daft as these things look they are insanely comfortable to wear, weirdly my ears hated the standard wired pods. Can only guess that the difference is not having the wire yanking down. Run, shake my head and they stay firmly in. My only minor issue is they are crap at noise cancellation.

4 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I broke my s7 a few weeks ago so was looking at the likes of the huawei, s8 and Google pixel.

I'd have had the pixel out of any of those but couldn't justify £450. So looked at the Samsung a5 or the Motorola g5s, half the price and to be honest I have hardly notoced the difference going from the s7 to the a5 outside of the screen size and battery lasting much longer on the a5.