Apple

Day

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I’d it true that the new screen on the Apple is in fact made by Samsung?

Samsung makes parts for iPhones yeah, couldn't tell you which, Apple also have patents which they licence to Samsung. All one happy family.

1 minute ago, ketteringram said:

Is there any particular reason why you went for the 8 rather than the plus? 

After 2 years of plus size phones just fancied a change, something I could use in one hand rather than 2. Take a hit on the smaller battery but then it doesn't have a large screen to power. Away from stats on a sales sheet do you notice an hour less battery in the real world? My house is littered with wireless pads now, just place it on for a quick boost.

6 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Interesting to see that one plus five on the list. I've read plenty of reviews, but never actually seen one, or heard of anybody using it. 

I'll be needing to change soon. Still very undecided on what to get. 

Whilst impressive those numbers are, again in the real world they mean very little, not something you would notice sending an email or browsing a forum. If you're into editing videos and exporting them on your phone that's when you will start to notice it.

It's just a funny thing as one criticism of Apple is that you can get a much better spec hardware for less, be it a PC or Phone and thats true, where Apple comes into it's own is the optimised software for it's own devices, they don't need the extra specs in the hardware to out perform those that do.

The whole thing is actually quite boring, and I'm the one that instigates it! ?

9 hours ago, David said:

Whilst impressive those numbers are, again in the real world they mean very little, not something you would notice sending an email or browsing a forum. If you're into editing videos and exporting them on your phone that's when you will start to notice it.

It's just a funny thing as one criticism of Apple is that you can get a much better spec hardware for less, be it a PC or Phone and thats true, where Apple comes into it's own is the optimised software for it's own devices, they don't need the extra specs in the hardware to out perform those that do.

The whole thing is actually quite boring, and I'm the one that instigates it! ?

It’s like a massive horse power 4x4 with technically better specs than a sleek little sports car, but because it’s carrying round so much more weight in a none aerodynamic body, it still gets skinned at the lights. Specs don’t necessarily tell the whole story. 

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

Should I update the software on my iPhone 5s? My daughter has a 7 and says that she isn't going to update because it slows the phone down too much.

The age old question. I think you're safe to update a 7 atm, but not sure about a 5s

if you restore it at anytime it automatically updates to the new one anyway no?

If you try it do it quick because they will likely stop signing iOS 10 next week or the week after and you won't be able to downgrade.

My advice usually to stay in the safe zone is if your phone arrives with iOS 1, upgrade to iOS 2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc. but don't go to 3.x.

My missus upgraded her iPhone 6 to iOS 11 and whilst it worked, didn't have all the features was a bit slow at times. Has that awful gold iPhone 8 now. 

5 hours ago, David said:

If you try it do it quick because they will likely stop signing iOS 10 next week or the week after and you won't be able to downgrade.

My advice usually to stay in the safe zone is if your phone arrives with iOS 1, upgrade to iOS 2, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc. but don't go to 3.x.

My missus upgraded her iPhone 6 to iOS 11 and whilst it worked, didn't have all the features was a bit slow at times. Has that awful gold iPhone 8 now. 

This is what he tells me, but I forget, and maybe my phone is slow but perhaps I don’t realise?

I’m one of those.

Just now, David said:

Nice pic but performance tests show the 8 wipes the floor with the flagship Android phones, the X will only make them look more like bricks. :p 

The thing is tho,most mid ranged android phones can run any app comfortably now and ever growing processors are just overkill and pretty much unnecessary...

I think we have reached a point where the hardware has outstripped software so buying a mega phone doesn't make as much sense as it did.

Hence the reason less people are buying new ones....their old phones still work and every phone looks pretty much like another.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The thing is tho,most mid ranged android phones can run any app comfortably now and ever growing processors are just overkill and pretty much unnecessary...

I think we have reached a point where the hardware has outstripped software so buying a mega phone doesn't make as much sense as it did.

Hence the reason less people are buying new ones....their old phones still work and every phone looks pretty much like another.

True. Real world concerns are camera quality and internal storage. 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

True. Real world concerns are camera quality and internal storage. 

I'm not even sure about storage nowadays...everything I have is backed up to Google so I keep very little on there apart from downloaded music.

Having a good camera is vital though and that's one area that apple excell.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

I will agree on that as well.

If you can optimise software to a specific device of course it will run better on lower hardware, Apple get to keep costs down whilst increasing profit margins. Winner winner. 

I have the 8 now, have to say the camera is insanely good, no idea what they did but it's much sharper and the colours pop better this year.

Will get the dog out and take a few snaps to upload