Pele is coming to Pride Park...

Ellafella

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

It's good that he's coming. Was great in the box, a real penetrative striker. Hard, had thrust and a happy ending.

Am I over doing this? ?

You probably would be if you managed that on a regular basis!

Wonder how much our little club is on his radar. Would he know any Derby players? I guess Franny Lee and McFarland/Todd were in the England team around his time..? Shilton's probably a little later?

I'm sure some of the older lot on here could answer that one for me. (Wouldn't even surprise me if @eddie tells us he saw him play back in the day).

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Wonder how much our little club is on his radar. Would he know any Derby players? I guess Franny Lee and McFarland/Todd were in the England team around his time..? Shilton's probably a little later?

I'm sure some of the older lot on here could answer that one for me. (Wouldn't even surprise me if @eddie tells us he saw him play back in the day).

McFarland and Todd were starting their England careers as Pele was calling time on his. Franny was in the England WC 1970 squad but I cannot remember if he played in the group match against Brazil.

I never saw him play in the flesh, but live on telly a few times, yes. One of the top 5 players of all time.

9 hours ago, eddie said:

McFarland and Todd were starting their England careers as Pele was calling time on his. Franny was in the England WC 1970 squad but I cannot remember if he played in the group match against Brazil.

I never saw him play in the flesh, but live on telly a few times, yes. One of the top 5 players of all time.

Just looked it up Franny did start replaced by Astle after 63 Mins

9 hours ago, ONEPIEGON said:

Just looked it up Franny did start replaced by Astle after 63 Mins

The late Jeff Astle was my football coach for a season. Lovely man. Had a lovely friendly quality and a great motivator. 

I think the 1970 World Cup was when I truely woke up to football rather than just joining in with Grandads enthusiasm. 

That Brazilian side pinged the ball all over the place with such ease and one touch control, It was just a different level and so much sheer joy. 

Archived