Pele is coming to Pride Park...

Ellafella

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the player of his era.

Anyone who tries to directly compare two players across different eras is simply wasting their time, because there are so many variables.

Can't remember the opposition but whenever I see the clip where the ball is played through to him & he dummies the keeper then runs around him and sticks it wide & Hugh Johns the commentator just exclaims "oh ...genius!" I always have tears in my eyes..

12 hours ago, eddie said:

Anyone who tries to directly compare two players across different eras is simply wasting their time, because there are so many variables.

Except George Best maybe.. I like to think that for all the physique of modern full backs George would still out dribble and nutmeg them... 

13 hours ago, eddie said:

Spot on eddie.

On 28/05/2017 at 10:21, StockholmRam said:

Except George Best maybe.. I like to think that for all the physique of modern full backs George would still out dribble and nutmeg them... 

No doubt at all. Fitness and strength might change, medicine might mend broken players more effectively but the great ball players and those with the vision would have shone just as brightly. Best was one of those. Saw him once. End of career, bloated, unhealthy but the ball at his feet transformed him . It belonged to him. Genius. 

1 minute ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Does this mean Blackman is leaving with Pele arriving?

That'd be a best move ever. :D

On 27 May 2017 at 07:24, Ellafella said:

The late Jeff Astle was my football coach for a season. Lovely man. Had a lovely friendly quality and a great motivator. 

On 28 May 2017 at 11:51, BurtonRam7 said:

He was my grandparents' window cleaner. Apparently the best one they ever had:D.

You can't compare window cleaners of different generations. Its a whole different game now.

Archived