The competition in the Championship 2017/18

Kernow

I watched Will Hughes' interview from another thread earlier on and he mentioned that although it is a cliche, the competition in the league is getting tougher every year. It got me thinking about the teams to be competing in the upcoming season and is this potentially one of the hardest seasons to call for a long time?

I know that the Championship is unpredictable, but this season for example, Brighton and Newcastle were probably most people's favourite two to go up and they did it without an awful lot of competition. Looking at the teams for next season, I really can't choose a side I think will definitely be top two. Even top six, there are a lot of teams where I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish in the top six, but equally I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish outside of the top six either.

The teams coming down don't suggest they'll definitely run away with the league, and the same goes for any of the play-off teams. A lot of teams will think they have a chance, us included, and I think that's one reason why Gary Rowett mentioned we could challenge for the top two next season, because I'd say at least 12 teams will be thinking exactly the same thing.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Woodypecker in the  Football Talk thread has just asked a similar question.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/26089-boros-chairman-gibsons-big-claims/#comment-1242247

Great minds, didn't see that.

A slightly arrogant claim that they will "smash" the league, but I can see why he might think that. There's no real standout team who most would predict to run away with it, in my opinion, so a lot of teams will be thinking that they can be that team.

I think Boro will be strong if they can keep players , if they can't then they will have money to spend, plus expect , Reading / Fulham to be strong and Leeds, with Huddersfield / Sheff Wednesday providing top 10 aggro to Wanner be playoff teams ,throw Wolves , Sheff Utd , Hull , Villa Cardiff and you have another difficult season

Boro will be strong, as will Hull if they keep Silva, if they don't think they could struggle along with Sunderland. 

Whoever stays down out of Weds and Fulham will be strong (think they'll contest the final), don't think Huddersfield or Reading will be as strong.

As for other contenders, Villa and Norwich will be up there, Cardiff could be a dark horse, along with Brum and possibly even the Red Dogs may surprise a few. The Blades could threaten. Struggling to see anyone else, would've said Wolves but they're about to implode if Lambert leaves over transfer policy! 

It will be tough again, but I'm convinced Gary will have us up there at least in the top 6.

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

I think it's more competitive but at the same time promotion more achievable. Those coming down are far away from Newcastle and Brighton IMO

Agree with you there, only Hull if Silva stays more than the players, represent something formidable to me.

Boro have maybe as strong a defensce for next year, as when they went up, yet could equally struggle to score, Bamford getting his first goal at the weekend hardly sets teams quaking; whilst Sunderland could completely unravel more so perhaps if Moyes stays. So looking at what's left from this year, some decent championship contenders but no standout runaway leaders for me. Thinking more recently of Leicester, Burnley or Newcastle/Brighton consistently were.

Could be anyone from maybe a dozen or more for automatics, Rams could fit within that group on potential.

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

I watched Will Hughes' interview from another thread earlier on and he mentioned that although it is a cliche, the competition in the league is getting tougher every year. It got me thinking about the teams to be competing in the upcoming season and is this potentially one of the hardest seasons to call for a long time?

I know that the Championship is unpredictable, but this season for example, Brighton and Newcastle were probably most people's favourite two to go up and they did it without an awful lot of competition. Looking at the teams for next season, I really can't choose a side I think will definitely be top two. Even top six, there are a lot of teams where I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish in the top six, but equally I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish outside of the top six either.

The teams coming down don't suggest they'll definitely run away with the league, and the same goes for any of the play-off teams. A lot of teams will think they have a chance, us included, and I think that's one reason why Gary Rowett mentioned we could challenge for the top two next season, because I'd say at least 12 teams will be thinking exactly the same thing.

The league continues to become tougher because an increasingly number of teams benefit from recent Premier league football and recent inflated parachute payments - Middlesbrough, Hull, Villa, Sunderland, not sure if Norwich still receive payments but teams who come down tend to retain strong sides and players on good wages thanks to these funds. Then again, I would be surprised if teams ran away with it like this season. I think Derby have as good a chance at finishing top 2 as bottom 10 to be honest. It's very difficult to call.

There will be 10 teams whose owners/most fans expect them to finish top 6 next season.

The 3 that came down, the 3 that don't go up through the play offs plus Derby, Leeds, Villa and Norwich.

Only 6 can get there. Only 3 go up. So you could argue Derby have a 30% chance of going up next year. In reality I think it's a little less than that.

7 hours ago, sage said:

There will be 10 teams whose owners/most fans expect them to finish top 6 next season.

The 3 that came down, the 3 that don't go up through the play offs plus Derby, Leeds, Villa and Norwich.

Only 6 can get there. Only 3 go up. So you could argue Derby have a 30% chance of going up next year. In reality I think it's a little less than that.

Agreed with all your saying. I would add Birmingham to the mix. Although they are in a right mess, 'Arry has agreed a year deal, so they much have promised him some money.

Peter Crouch?:thumbsup:

He seems to have bonded with the Brummies from what he says, could be looking for a last glorious promotion episode of a 'sleeping giant' before he toddles off into pundit retirement once and for all.

Dark horses maybe.

The thing about Boro is that they will have a new manager, and players who were good under Karankas style may not cut it. Bit of a Norwich about them in my view. 

Hull with the right manager should be competitive, but I suspect that they will lose quality and replace badly.

Sunderland are either the new Villa or the new Wolves but either way not going up, far too much negativity. Rotten core.

Of the others who will want top 6, Leeds never fail to shock with their capacity for self harm, so bet they lose players and maybe Monk...

Huddersfield if unsuccessful could be a one season wonder without the right investment, they already looked jaded at seasons end.

Norwich could go either way, but failure will start to bring FFP worries. Bruce at Villa has got loads to do over summer to get their bloated and declining squad into shape, but if he succeeds they look a challenger for the autos.

Reading look good but I think have money worries? So potentially little investment to improve if unsuccessful. Fulham look really good but I suspect more teams will target them with boring game killing tactics like they did us, and Jokanovic was a candidate for West Ham if Bilic goes. Weds if they fail I think the negativity will start to bite. Owls fans remind me of ours, not a good thing!

All to play for, but worth noting many teams may well be at risk of a serious Derbyesque decline and be forced to make tough decisions.

10 hours ago, sage said:

Great, succinct analysis. I wonder who will be this years surprise package ? I'd have never though Huddersfield were anything other than tidy mid table this time last year. 

The overall standard will be higher than ever before - as is the case pretty much every year. We will have to improve in order to stand still.

Staying within FFP is the biggest issue for any current club. Those that are relegated don't have this issue with their Prem money. 

All the clubs this year seem more like villa than Newcastle. By that I mean I can't see any of them being able to get £60 mil from selling a few players like the Geordies did. Which helped them shaped their squad.

it says something when I'd rather have players off the teams going up than those coming down.

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

The overall standard will be higher than ever before - as is the case pretty much every year. We will have to improve in order to stand still.

I actually disagree with this. Although I don't know what signings are going to be made. I actually think it will be wide open for a fair amount of teams next season. 

I don't currently see a runaway winner like Newcastle were which takes up 1 spot before a ball is kicked.

Lots of clubs with lots of money but which ones will form good teams with the added quality.

personally I think Norwich will be much stronger next season and Bruce will make Villa a lot more consistent while Boro will be very capable the rest will depend on which owner/chairman fires first! 

Archived