Boro's Chairman Gibson's Big Claims...

Woodypecker

I notice that Middlesbrough's Chairman, Steve Gibson - whilst admitting failures and that big changes will follow - signs off his interview (on the BBC football pages) by claiming: "We will smash the league".

We shall see!

Interesting, for saying they have yet to attract a manager, and will no doubt lose key players.

They will have great finances of course, and may be the most resilient club in 2017-18 in the Championship promotion scramble from the three relegated outfits.

Hull are set to lose manager Silva; Sunderland are bereft of cohesion and with Defoe & Pickford bound for top-flight deals, I am not sure those clubs can bounce back. Moyes seems to be a dead man walking...Many thought Villa would be strong, it's been an expensive fiasco there!

Is the Championship stronger or weaker next season? Can we rise above it and stake a claim? Should DCFC season tickets be costed for 35 matches, so we don't feel so cheated by the run-in's dead rubbers?

It'th a mythtery to me, as Toyah used to say :blink:

C O Y R

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the three coming down aren't (or rather wont be) as good as the three going up.

I think Sunderland will have it tougher than they remember, but I do expect boro to be strong, Hull I think will lose their manager and players.

However, we'll be strong, Norwich and I think villa, will be strong and the three play off losers are good sides.

Sith Happens

Not bad going, he's managing to out Forest Forest.

I mean they usually think the season is over by the end of august, this guy thinks next season is over before this season has finished.

Sith Happens

We do all know how silly it is to be over confident...remember our 'you've only come to see the champions' chant on the opening day of the season.

Not sure about Gibson coming across as a numpty to fans of other teams at all. In fact I'd go as far as to say 80% of clubs fans would be delighted to have him as club chairman (and 19% of the other 20% are too stupid to recognise the type of chairman/man he is).

Two best chairmen in the league with a doubt Gibson and Ben Robinson at Burton.

Middlesbrough will go back up cos Gibson will appoint the right manager and then trust/back him enough to let him get on with it.

34 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I think Boro will do a "Burnley" next season and go straight back up with Villa or Norwich finishing in second 

It will be interesting and may well depend on who their managers will be which is a fairly strange scenario at this point.

PistoldPete2

Well nugent couldn't get in their team.. So maybe they could, especially with the parachute money. 

9 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Two best chairmen in the league with a doubt Gibson and Ben Robinson at Burton

What makes Ben Robinson so highly rated?

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

What makes Ben Robinson so highly rated?

Seriously RN?

Have you missed where they were when he arrived? Have you missed where they are now? Have you missed how they got there? Have you missed how he's got them there making a profit? Have you missed his track record of hiring (and not firing) managers, including your very own Gary Rowett.

Of course the answer to everything above could well be yes :-)

Reading that back, the tone of the post is not the same as the tone of my voice while I'm writing / saying this by the way. I like you these days ;-)

Archived