The competition in the Championship 2017/18

Kernow

People speculating on next seasons possible high flyers..but not one in a thousand would have predicted a Reading v Huddersfield play off final.Just goes to show how difficult it is to make a call about any season in this bloody tough league called the 'championship'..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Yani P said:

FFP will be interesting - not sure the penalties are more than a shrug of the shoulders really - what did QPR get - an £8m fine - nothing in comparison to what they got for the season in the Prem..

Most of the relegated clubs can ignore FFP as they generally have a few high earners that will leave to avoid being in the Champs - makes it dead easy to balance the books and thats only if they choose to even bother about FFP rules

Not always. Sunderland, for example, has been in PL so long that you'd expect most of their players be on so called PL wages. If you have seen them play, there's Defoe and Pickford who'll have pickers, but rest of them? Doubt it.

I'm expecting them to be screwed if and when they don't go up.

Think as people have mentioned, Reading and Huddersfield were nowhere near the playoffs last season and ended up there this. Really does highlight how unpredictable the league can be. Who would've expected us to be so poor? Or Norwich to be so slow in getting in a better manager?

A lot will depend on who spends what and managerial appointments/changes. If Fulham lose their manager it could spell their downfall. Whereas a savvy appointment at Boro could see them dominate. 

Think there will be a surprise; maybe Brentford, maybe Sheff Utd or Cardiff. 

14 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Not always. Sunderland, for example, has been in PL so long that you'd expect most of their players be on so called PL wages. If you have seen them play, there's Defoe and Pickford who'll have pickers, but rest of them? Doubt it.

I'm expecting them to be screwed if and when they don't go up.

Currently an £84 Million wage bill, you bet they're screwed if they don't bounce back.

3 hours ago, curb said:

Currently an £84 Million wage bill, you bet they're screwed if they don't bounce back.

A lot of their players have 50% wage reduction upon relegation clauses. Those that don't are either youngsters or have 'free to leave upon relegation' clauses.

It's estimated that O'Shea, Larsson and Kirchhoff running out of contract and Defoe leaving will knock about £9,000,000 off their wage bill. With this, the relegation clauses in existing contracts and parachute payments you'd think that they'd be alright.

Still though, some of the wages they're supposedly paying to dross that I wouldn't even want here. 

Weird one next season. For the moment, its a little too hard to tell.

For the teams coming down, I think much will depend on who is manager at the start of the season.

If Sunderland really are sticking with Moyes, think they might struggle like Villa did, recruiting the wrong types of players, then changing manager in the middle of the season.

Hull lost a fair few of their better players, and it appears that the Allams are throwing a wobbly because they aren't allowed to rebrand the club. Won't matter who their manager is if there's no backing, and I think Silva will be subject to some admiring glances from the Prem, Watford, probably.

Middlesbrough are probably best equipped, and FWIW I think Pearson might be a decent fit there.

Think Sheffield United will do well - like Preston from last season, creditable midtable/nearly play-offs finish.

Bolton, I worry for. While promotion might help the coffers, they're still in a bit of trouble. They have a winding up petition over a £5m loan, and rumours of others. A few of their promotion winning players have left on frees.

Bradford/Millwall. Hope its the former. If its the latter, then I hope they are relegated in March having not picked up a single point, or they're slapped with a hilarious points deduction.

Archived