Rotherham United v Derby County - Match Day Thread

RamsPolls

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't get this thing about putting a team full of youngsters out in a nothing match against a side already relegated with record breaking lows ,, you will learn NOTHING, , you learn about youngsters when you slot them in to a first team alongside first team players in games that matter , we will learn nothing about the first team either , we know we have talented players but at the level we are the only thing that counts is whether they can produce under intense pressure ,, stick first teamers out and tell them to win the game and leave the youngsters to focus on what for them is a big game ,,, for me the road to the first team for youngster should be there but the route in is when they are playing so well at their level that they force their way into the team or injuries give them an opening that they grab with both hands and make it hard to drop them ,,, 

Not a great stat. Some people on here were probably still swimming around in their father's nads:

"Derby have not won on the last day of a league season away from home since May 1985 (3-1 at Newport), losing 11 of 13 since (D2)."

On 02/05/2017 at 15:33, RamsPolls said:

*Apologies for the delay on this thread...*

Rotherham Untied v Derby County

7th May 2017.

New York Stadium

Rotherham already relegated and the Rams have nothing to play for but pride. 

What time?

9 hours ago, admira said:

Not a great stat. Some people on here were probably still swimming around in their father's nads:

"Derby have not won on the last day of a league season away from home since May 1985 (3-1 at Newport), losing 11 of 13 since (D2)."

might happen this time given how truly awful rotherham are.

9 hours ago, admira said:

How you getting on with the Ipswich theme fella?:D

On 03/05/2017 at 17:37, PodgeyRam said:

Probably because you don't just change to a 3 at the back system in the middle of the season. In that system, more than any other, every player has to know their role perfectly and you can't expect them to do that mid-season. You need a pre-season to build that understanding.

I agree with the sentiment, but didn't we do exacly that in the 95-96 promotion season after we signed Stimac. Could be wrong, but I'm sure we started that season with 4 at the back?

3 hours ago, Ramarena said:

I agree with the sentiment, but didn't we do exacly that in the 95-96 promotion season after we signed Stimac. Could be wrong, but I'm sure we started that season with 4 at the back?

I think you are right. Changed formation. It clicked. We went on a 20 game unbeaten run.  Guess changes in formation can be made quite quicky if you've got the players for it and they are good/clever enough to be able to adapt.

Of course, I tend to think a lot of rubbish is talked about when it comes to formations and systems and stuff.  I think people tend to over complicate it.  These are professional players and should be able to adapt quite quickly, but at the risk of contradicting myself, I would accept that if you haven't got players who would be any good at wingback (for example) then there's no point changing the system because no matter how clever they are it isn't  going to work.  Systems should fit the players... as we've already seen this year, sticking rigidly to a system you like when you ain't got the players for it you are doomed to failure.

As it happens, I reckon 5-3-2 could work for us, but doubt he'll try it out this weekend. If he's going to bring in 16 players as some people want/expect, then he wouldn't learn a great deal! 

On 5 May 2017 at 15:14, admira said:

I went to that one. Great day out

1 minute ago, coneheadjohn said:

Safe journey everyone.Me and eldest be cheering with you from Birmingham.

A good strong finish and don't forget the cat @eddie

There will be a bit of a delay. I am going to Sheffield after the game to see my grandson.

Archived