Jack Stamps Player of the Year

Posh Ram

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, angieram said:

I agree with this. Ince's form has taken a dip under Rowett but for the rest of the season he has easily been the best player for me.

I'm finding myself disagreeing with you here Angela. ?

For me, Carson has consistently been the best player over the full season. I know youve been to more of the matches than I have, so im just going on the games I've been to and the odd highlights I've seen.

Ince a close second and Baird third, is what I would have voted on.

Opinions, who needs em? COYR

Dreadful decision..

carson really hasn't impressed me this season and he's been at fault for a fair share of goals. I certainly can't remember many times thinking that's an epic save.

ince deserved this award and I think we have been ungrateful by not giving it him. We could replace Carson easily. 

Fully deserved, the most consistent player over our whole season. 

Don't really get the logic of nailing a keeper for being at fault for a few goals, of course they are, they're the last line of defence and when they mess up (as all keepers, even all players do) it's highlighted more so as it normally ends up with a goal against them. I'm sure Bent, Vydra and Ince have just made as many mistakes up top (been plenty of sitters missed!) yet they won't get pulled up for that. 

As for Ince, he's been our most potent attacking player over the season but has only turned up in about half the games so I would have found it really bizarre for him to win it. 

An absolute travesty of a decision. No disrespect to Carson, he's the best goalie we've had in my lifetime, but without ince this season we'd have been fortunate to win a bloody game! Genuinely believe we would have been relegated without his ability to grab goals out of nowhere, and for that reason this shouldn't have even been a bloody competition! Actually quite annoyed ince didn't win, think this shows that some fans have an irrational hatred of him Still for whatever reason, I've no doubt if his name was johnny Russell and he'd contributed as much as he had this year he'd have won by a landslide

40 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Dreadful decision..

carson really hasn't impressed me this season and he's been at fault for a fair share of goals. I certainly can't remember many times thinking that's an epic save.

ince deserved this award and I think we have been ungrateful by not giving it him. We could replace Carson easily. 

His save from cash in the home game v forest was world class. Made it look so simple but his anticipation, reactions, handling and positioning for a shot hit with accuracy and power through a crowd saved a certain goal. That save was absolutely as important as inces goal in that game.

Disappointing. Ince deserved it imo. Without him we would be below Forest (that's a scary thought).

Carson himself has been ridiculously inconsistent. He's played some blinders, but he's had plenty of howlers. Wednesday last week. Could've done better for a couple against Brentford. Bailed out by Keogh against West Brom. That Ipswich goal at home. The lackadaisical passing at times. Good goalkeeper. But not our player of  the season.

In hindsight, I would put Ince, Keogh and Baird ahead of him.

21 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Disappointing. Ince deserved it imo. Without him we would be below Forest (that's a scary thought).

Carson himself has been ridiculously inconsistent. He's played some blinders, but he's had plenty of howlers. Wednesday last week. Could've done better for a couple against Brentford. Bailed out by Keogh against West Brom. That Ipswich goal at home. The lackadaisical passing at times. Good goalkeeper. But not our player of  the season.

In hindsight, I would put Ince, Keogh and Baird ahead of him.

I think I'd go with Carson 2nd. 

I think though Defensively as a team we've done enough to keep away from the bottom. 

In attack I think we've been much weaker and the attacking threat has often come from Ince or nowhere. 

Sometimes when we've been really poor in attack and there's only been a glimmer of hope it's still come from Tom Ince. 

He can't shine every game. Who can? But I'd put some of his off days down to the dawdling of Cyrus Christie who likes to complete a full dance off before making the pass that was obvious. 

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think I'd go with Carson 2nd. 

I think though Defensively as a team we've done enough to keep away from the bottom. 

In attack I think we've been much weaker and the attacking threat has often come from Ince or nowhere. 

Sometimes when we've been really poor in attack and there's only been a glimmer of hope it's still come from Tom Ince. 

He can't shine every game. Who can? But I'd put some of his off days down to the dawdling of Cyrus Christie who likes to complete a full dance off before making the pass that was obvious. 

Using some very quick (and not entirely accurate) maths, I reckon that Ince's goals and assists have won us 15 points this season. Take that away and we're on 48 points, looking over our shoulders desperately hoping Blackburn don't win. 

You're definitely right when you say that him and Christie don't work well together, although to be honest, when was the last time Christie worked well with any winger? Baird's intelligence suits him much better than Christie's physicality.

I think it would be a good experiment next season if we had a vote on here every 1/3rd of the season.

Open it for a week, then tally the votes at the end of the season, it would maybe iron out the natural weighting we give more recent performances, and be more reflective of the season as a whole.

7 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Using some very quick (and not entirely accurate) maths, I reckon that Ince's goals and assists have won us 15 points this season. Take that away and we're on 48 points, looking over our shoulders desperately hoping Blackburn don't win. 

You're definitely right when you say that him and Christie don't work well together, although to be honest, when was the last time Christie worked well with any winger? Baird's intelligence suits him much better than Christie's physicality.

Can you please work out very quickly how many points we would have lost without some off Carson's saves this Season?

Archived