Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

The large salary is no great surprise let’s face it.  It is odd though that Hay is suggesting we approached Leeds to try to secure interest. Perhaps just paper talk, but l still think anyone on here thinking we are looking to sell Chris for in excess of £5m are well wide of the mark. Personally l still think a loan is our best option - get him playing, and hopefully scoring again, with a view to getting some better value for him in the summer.

I don’t think it is odd, we brought in a certain Mr Evans to get players moved out did we not so I assume that involves contacting lots of clubs who would consider it, the only difference with Chris Martin is that Rowett considers him good enough to play him whilst on a large contract which is not the case with the high earners Bent shackell Anya 

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

So we are stuck with a player  sat on his arse with a big fat contract - brilliant

all the dealings - with Fulham and a new contract - what a crap deal we are left with

no matter  how hard we want to remember the past / we are stuck with probably the best paid player in the club - and he doesn’t figure in our plans etc

No good all round - that includes Chris Martin !!!

Martin was desperately wanted back by Derby and Mac in particular because he was suited to out team and set up under that regime....Fulham also wanted him after being given him on a ridiculously generous loan by mentalist manager Pearson...

So Martin agrees to come back on a three year deal on good money.....good for him and Derby at the time.

Mel sacks our manager,brings in another one who plays completely different to Mac and surprise, surprise wants off load the striker who doesn't suit his system.

So who exactly is at fault here?

Mac for wanting his most prolific and lethal striker back in a side that suits him?

Martin for wanting to come back into the side that he loves and back to where his family lives and are happy...and get a good long term contract to boot?

Rowett for inheriting a player that doesn't fit well into his system?

Or Mel for sacking Mac after the Martin deal was completed?

Id suggest there is no blame to apportion here,it's just circumstances.

Some fantasists need to get s grip.

33 minutes ago, jono said:

The alternative would be to use part of any fee to pay his "loss of earnings" let's say he's on 10 grand a week over the odds which is 500k so 3 years is 1.5 million. You get might get 4 million gross, but the club then sacrifices 1.5 million. Not great for DCFC but might just reflect the harsh realities of restructuring a team 

Yes that's probably how it will play out But think its pushing it a little to think we will get £4million for him and I don't think he still has 3years left he signed a new contract last Jan so I think he only has two  Whatever happens only one winner that's CM 

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Martin was desperately wanted back by Derby and Mac in particular because he was suited to out team and set up under that regime....Fulham also wanted him after being given him on a ridiculously generous loan by mentalist manager Pearson...

So Martin agrees to come back on a three year deal on good money.....good for him and Derby at the time.

Mel sacks our manager,brings in another one who plays completely different to Mac and surprise, surprise wants off load the striker who doesn't suit his system.

Mac for wanting his most prolific and lethal striker back in a side that suits him?

Martin for wanting to come back into the side that he loves and back to where his family lives and are happy...and get a good long term contract to boot?

Hindsight is lovely, you’d be pressed to find many people upset when the contract was initially signed

27 minutes ago, irobinson said:

So we are stuck with a player  sat on his arse with a big fat contract - brilliant

all the dealings - with Fulham and a new contract - what a crap deal we are left with

no matter  how hard we want to remember the past / we are stuck with probably the best paid player in the club - and he doesn’t figure in our plans etc

No good all round - that includes Chris Martin !!!

Seemed to figure for the third goal on Saturday. 

Chris Martin has represented Derby county very well and has never done anything wrong (apart from signing an increase on his contract which we would all of done) in fact I think he has been messed about in the last eighteen months by the club ( and yes he has been well paid whilst it occurred) if he does go out on loan then hopefully he can take some points of a few of our competitors and be fit and available and scoring goals if we end up in the play offs and he isn’t.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Don't be coming in here with your common sense and all that. Who do you think you are?!

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's good to see that the Martin-hatred in this thread is not limited to @Ninos.

Oh no, not good. What's the word I'm looking for? Ah, yes. Pathetic.

agreed, quite sad really

I am interested to read how CM should be utilised if he stayed; obviously from the Martinis!

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

agreed, quite sad really

I am interested to read how CM should be utilised if he stayed; obviously from the Martinis!

Personally I think he’d be a great no.9 still, but realistically at this stage it seemingly can’t happen. Maybe as a back up no.10 buti do think we are covered there too.Best to hope for is a loan and see what happens in summer. No matter what league we are in a strike force of Nugent and Jerome would worry me!

17 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Don't be coming in here with your common sense and all that. Who do you think you are?!

No we can't be done on here with people who talk sense that's not were about  Fancy saying no one is to blame what the hell are we going to talk about Somebody must be to blame if not we will have to make something up 

1 hour ago, eddie said:

It's good to see that the Martin-hatred in this thread is not limited to @Ninos.

Oh no, not good. What's the word I'm looking for? Ah, yes. Pathetic.

I don't see any hatred. Just an acceptance that Martin doesn't fit the current system and style but at the same time is seemingly on a long and valuable contract. Most on here are simply chewing the cud on behalf of the greater good. I.e. How we move forward. It's no reflection on Martin's ability or past record. The race is now a steeplechase rather than on the flat and Martin, good horse though he is, isn't the best over the jumps. 

Yeah let's all blame Martin. Better still, we can utilise every opportunity, regardless of whether it is Martin-related or not and find a way to criticise him. By doing that day in, day out we will get ourselves a reputation on this forum as hard-hitting, knowledgeable, clever posters who understand everything about professional football.

Or not!

41 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Yeah let's all blame Martin. Better still, we can utilise every opportunity, regardless of whether it is Martin-related or not and find a way to criticise him. By doing that day in, day out we will get ourselves a reputation on this forum as hard-hitting, knowledgeable, clever posters who understand everything about professional football.

Or not!

Makes a change from Incey I suppose....

57 minutes ago, jono said:

I don't see any hatred. Just an acceptance that Martin doesn't fit the current system and style but at the same time is seemingly on a long and valuable contract. Most on here are simply chewing the cud on behalf of the greater good. I.e. How we move forward. It's no reflection on Martin's ability or past record. The race is now a steeplechase rather than on the flat and Martin, good horse though he is, isn't the best over the jumps. 

I think most fans would agree with your post - including the 'Martinites' christened by some idiot. What is gauling is the constant dripping of criticism by a handful of posters which has become tedious.

My own opinion is that, given Rowetts' style, Martins' time with Derby is probably nearing its' end. He's been a great free transfer - one of the best in my time supporting the Rams (30+ years) and I'm sure he will be successful elsewhere in a system which better uses his talents.

Can’t believe some of the criticism of Martin on here. Easily one of the best strikers we’ve had in recent years, probs the best since relegation from the prem.

Playing 4-3-3 and there’s few strikers in the league as good. He doesn’t fit our new style that requires pace up top. Simple as. I wish him all the best. 

If he goes to a club that uses him to his style then he’ll be nearing 10 goals by the end of the season 

Archived