Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

8 minutes ago, Timdcfc said:

I never thought if it that way, what would you go for then? 

I think 4-2-3-1

We have the players for it - Gives us cover for the defence - Enough to attack down the sides or through the middle - potential to get enough players in the box

I know it's boring to suggest the formation we actually play - But I think it's the best option for the squad - And I know everyone seems to want to play 3 at the back but we don't have the players for it

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I think 4-2-3-1

We have the players for it - Gives us cover for the defence - Enough to attack down the sides or through the middle - potential to get enough players in the box

I know it's boring to suggest the formation we actually play - But I think it's the best option for the squad - And I know everyone seems to want to play 3 at the back but we don't have the players for it

Okay what about a 4-2-1-3? We have two defensive midfielders and we have the 4 in defence which seems to be preferred but then we overload the opposition defenders. The 1 being Vydra playing behind the central striker and use Lawrence or Weimann on the wings? 

34 minutes ago, Timdcfc said:

Okay what about a 4-2-1-3? We have two defensive midfielders and we have the 4 in defence which seems to be preferred but then we overload the opposition defenders. The 1 being Vydra playing behind the central striker and use Lawrence or Weimann on the wings? 

I think we're talking about the same formation here

xxx

xxx   xxx   xxx   xxx

xxx   xxx

xxx       xxx       xxx

xxx

20 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

4-2-3-1? 4-2-1-3?

These are just modern names for formations that are derivatives of 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 in reality.

Yes - To an extent - But arguably there's nothing different between a 4-4-2 and 4-4-1-1 other than a 4-4-1-1 would be something like "4-4-2 with a dropped 10" and it's easier to understand as 4-4-1-1

4-2-3-1 would be "4-4-2 with a dropped 10 and the wingers slightly more forward" - Which is more easily understood as 4-2-3-1

Yes your wingers will still track back but it's the understanding that they are more attacking players than you might choose in a standard 4-4-2

4 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

We basically play 4-4-2 with Vydra dropping off a bit from the other striker.

Exactly.

That's because me n thee talk about formations when the team is in a defensive shape, rather than when in an attacking shape.

I know this will get slated, but I'd go for the old 3-5-2.

Keogh     Huddlestone   Davies

Wisdom                                         Forsyth

Kifetendbeld   Johnson

Vydra

Nugent   Martin

Huddlestone would be my new Igor Stimac (if that was ever possible). Both Forsyth and Wisdom can up and down.

Lawrence would eventually force his way into any one of the forward spots, possibly in place of Martin.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No thanks - Having more energy in CM gives you cover for the wing backs BUT there's next to no creativity in that side - You've moved the guy who does all the midfield link up play at the moment into defence

9 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Carson

Keogh

Huddlestone

Martin Nugent Lawrence Russell Weimann Vydra Bennett Morris

That's daft

Morris is a centre-forward not a winger

We have the players to play any formation the manager wants too and probably will to suit some opponents 

i know it's small beer but at sheff united when Martin came on he was winning the ball and taking defenders away from their positions and getting into good positions if the ball ever came towards him

we have great options with Martin nugent Vydra and winnall ( potential Bent as well) 

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

No thanks - Having more energy in CM gives you cover for the wing backs BUT there's next to no creativity in that side - You've moved the guy who does all the midfield link up play at the moment into defence

That's daft

Morris is a centre-forward not a winger

No he's definitely a winger. I know because I've heard it said on here that he's been winging it for the last few years.

15 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

No he's definitely a winger. I know because I've heard it said on here that he's been winging it for the last few years.

I thought he would have been a success but didn't get the support? Let down mainly by the people around him giving him poor service?

(And people can't even complain that this post is off topic...)

58 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Kifetendbeld   Johnson

Vydra

Nugent   Martin

Huddlestone would be my new Igor Stimac (if that was ever possible). Both Forsyth and Wisdom can up and down.

Lawrence would eventually force his way into any one of the forward spots, possibly in place of Martin.

This is pretty much the position Huddlestone takes up now in the second half as he gets tired.

lIf there was still a loan window Martin would be on his way out again. Presumably to Wolves with an option to buy.

He's only still here due to a lack of interest and time.

I still believe he has something to offer, and he may surprise me and force his way back into GRs plans, but some strikers need consistent runs to build up form and I don't think he'll get that now.

2 hours ago, Rample said:

lIf there was still a loan window Martin would be on his way out again. Presumably to Wolves with an option to buy.

I still believe he has something to offer, and he may surprise me and force his way back into GRs plans, but some strikers need consistent runs to build up form and I don't think he'll get that now.

What sound basis do you have to form the opinion that CM would go out on loan? On one hand you say there was a lack of interest but then put forward Wolves as an option. What concrete evidence do you have to suggest Wolves have ever been interested enough to sign him (other than what one or two Martin haters put forward as 'fact')?

2 hours ago, Rample said:

:blink:

13 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

What sound basis do you have to form the opinion that CM would go out on loan? On one hand you say there was a lack of interest but then put forward Wolves as an option. What concrete evidence do you have to suggest Wolves have ever been interested enough to sign him (other than what one or two Martin haters put forward as 'fact')?

Madness - The crazys are out in force again

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Kifetendbeld   Johnson

Vydra

Nugent   Martin

Mackworth bit risky playing without a keeper and ten men ?

Archived