Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Selling Martin's an awful idea. Here's why:

1. Versatility

Big selling point of Rowett has been that he's more versatile than previous managers, more adaptable. So why would we sell the one striker we have that offers something none of the others do? If we sell Martin we lose one of our unique weapons, one of the most technically gifted players at the club and our only hold up striker.

2. Home Form

The Nuge/Vydra combo has been lethal away from home, their mobility lets us set up to counter without having to lose much defensive shape/solidity. That combination and the away performances are what's really sold me on Rowett, I wouldn't change it anytime soon.

However, our home performances have been far from convincing and we've been stumped a couple of times. We've not been given the space to play in behind the defence we get away from home. I think we've looked a lot better at home with Martin playing, particularly now Thorne's back in the side.

Sheff Weds- a win at home against ten men. Went a goal up really early but then got dominated by Wednesday. Couldn't control the ball and ended up riding our luck, Wednesday created just as many chances as we did.

Reading- annihilated. Turgid first half where we couldn't create anything, couldn't hold onto the ball, which completely suited Reading. Plan didn't work, only started to create chances once Martin came on.

QPR- turgid first half where we didn't create anything against the worst team I've seen at PP since Rotherham. Got the goals eventually but most teams would against that QPR set up.

Ipswich- another turgid first half where we didn't have a single shot on target. Only started to create chances once Martin came on, unlucky not to get at least an equaliser. Ultimately the team wasn't set up to attack, the full backs couldn't overlap and we couldn't play well enough with it on deck. Gutting loss.

Burton- Thorne and Martin start, Olsson's put onto overlap. The side that's been successful away but disappointing at home is rested. We finally have a match where we create chances for 90 minutes instead of starting at half-time or praying for a Vydra shaped miracle. We get the win against ansolid away team set up to frustrate.

I think Martin will have a big part to play our home form. Teams aren't coming here for wins, they're coming to frustrate and get a draw. Home form is the bedrock of a promotion push, we can probably make the play-off's continuing as we are now but the aim of this club under Mel has always been automatic promotion.

3. The Future

We have the absolute blessing of having two of the most prolific championship strikers of the last 3/4 years in our squad in Martin and Vydra. They're both still in their 20's and hitting their primes.

Vydra's had the most success playing off a hold up striker. Martin's had the most success having someone playing just off him.

Surely for the long term health of the club, this combination is what we should be focused on getting working and building around? Too many times we've made the decision that's best for right now instead of the next few seasons. How many other clubs in the division have two strikers as prolific as our two?

As much I love Nuge (despite how much I fight Martin's corner on here I do really like him as a person and player) he's 32 now and pace is a big part of his game. We shouldn't be throwing away strikers because we have him, we should be planning for what we're going to do without him.

If we sold Martin we'd be left with Vydra, Nugent (32) and Winnall (on loan). We'd get someone else in but there's no guarantee they'll be of the same quality as Martin, particularly in the January transfer window.

Selling Martin to Wolves would be hideous too because you know he'd flourish there. Give him six months in that squad and he'll be worth twice what we got for him. It's like the Hughes situation, we sold him and after only two PL starts it's clear we didn't get enough for him.

It's just a ***** idea.

Most fictional post I ever saw 

Vyds Nuge and Winnall backing them up is sufficient ... I just read the Nuge Vydra combo being deadly AWAY from home part and knew you’re fabricating stuff - like all the Martin crazies. You need to pay attention to what goes on in games. Jeez.

kinda like the ding dong guy who said martin set up Russell and turns out he didn’t go to the game or even watch the game ... to know Matty Phillips gifted us the goal. 

and just stop with the Vydra Martin thing ...Vydra is fantastic and Martin is rubbish ... you don’t pair Filet mignon with lucozade. It’s Vydra and Nugent !!!! That’s the partnership that’s clicked and rocked opposition defences. Deal with it. 

Your whole post is a combo of lies and myth.

Now you can go shave your grans head. 

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Vyds Nuge and Winnall backing them up is sufficient ... I just read the Nuge Vydra combo being deadly AWAY from home part and knew you’re fabricating stuff - like all the Martin crazies. You need to pay attention to what goes on in games. Jeez.

kinda like the ding dong guy who said martin set up Russell and turns out he didn’t go to the game or even watch the game ... to know Matty Phillips gifted us the goal. 

and just stop with the Vydra Martin thing ...Vydra is fantastic and Martin is rubbish ... you don’t pair Filet mignon with lucozade. It’s Vydra and Nugent !!!! That’s the partnership that’s clicked and rocked opposition defences. Deal with it. 

Only lie is that Martin is rubbish. Would be kind of amazing for a so called rubbish player to score so many goals for our club.

14 minutes ago, Ninos said:

images-2.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Back in 1882? 

So Wolves are cruising at the top and look very likely to get promoted. Provided this link is true, they've identified Martin as the next piece to get them out of this division which we ourselves have been trying to do for about 10 years now. I and I think most people on this forum would love to hear your thoughts to the question why you think Wolves want Chris Martin? Is it a cunning ploy on our part or has Nuno lost the plot? 

22 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Only lie is that Martin is rubbish. Would be kind of amazing for a so called rubbish player to score so many goals for our club.

You seem to have forgotten something he used to score so many goals for our club One in his last 30 league appearance's ain't going to help us win many matches is it Martin had a choice last season stay and fight for his place or go on loan We all know which he chose and the way he behaved Only the fact that somebody no longer at the club offered him a three year deal that he's even at the club  Yes he has talent but you have to alter the teams style to accommodate it and I'm not convinced GR will ever do that 

19 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

The express have put 2+2 together and are suggesting Wolves may thrown in Ben Marshall as part of the deal. https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/887489/Wolverhampton-Wanderers-Wolves-News-Chris-Martin-Ben-Marshall-Derby-EFL-Championship

Someone’s clearly talking to someone ... where there’s smoke there’s a fire

43 minutes ago, Ninos said:

There's not really a single piece of analysis/criticism of my post there. You've just said I'm wrong and not backed it up with any argument, logic, facts, reasoning...

I guess you sort of tried to hone in on the Vydra/Nuge being good away from home, so fair play, I'll amend what I said and change it to more 'the counter-attacking style that's based off a Vydra/Nuge type combination has been lethal away from home' what with out last away game being a 3-0 victory against Boro with both players featuring...

Are you saying Nugent and Vydra aren't any good away from home? I'm really struggling to get a grip on what you believe. I also guess me breaking down what's gone on in our last 5 home games (where Vydra and Nugent are supposedly rocking defences) doesn't count as paying attention to the games.

You just say things and make no attempt to explain why you've said them. Vydra is fantastic and Martin is rubbish? Why? 

And let's be honest, neither of Martin or Vydra are filet mignon, they're more like a decent burger and tasty IPA.

Id sell... i agree we could use him as ‘something different’ but he hasnt been playing loads & still has some value so why not cash in & free up some wages 

Martin is a good championship player but id be happy with bent, vydra, winnall & nuge as our options if we can get a decent fee for Martin

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Don't think you were at the right game yesterday, Matty Phillips plays for WBA so presume you were at The Hawthorne.

31 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

You seem to have forgotten something he used to score so many goals for our club One in his last 30 league appearance's ain't going to help us win many matches is it Martin had a choice last season stay and fight for his place or go on loan We all know which he chose and the way he behaved Only the fact that somebody no longer at the club offered him a three year deal that he's even at the club  Yes he has talent but you have to alter the teams style to accommodate it and I'm not convinced GR will ever do that 

Should we have sold Vydra last season when he wasn't performing? Martin is still very useful for us and has proven it by playing well even though he isn't scoring. 

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Don't think you were at the right game yesterday, Matty Phillips plays for WBA so presume you were at The Hawthorne.

Whatever his name was - Burton has non league players so it was Palmer Phillips Warnock Bradford or something like that :thumbsup:

btw their whole loss has been pinned on his keepy uppy error ... 

Archived