Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yes, he isn't even in the top 20 goal scorers in the division..........

He'll be next season toddy make sure you're prepare for it. #ChrisMartinIsStillARam :)

3 minutes ago, MauritianMonsta said:

Agree except I don't believe Russell could, would like another option!

I was thinking that when I posted it, but thought I'd see were the land lies. Even if we bought another option in for the left (which we probably will) I would certainly keep Johnny about , he's the type of player who can come off the bench and make an instant impact.

14 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

If deployed correctly a front 4 of Ince, Vydra, Russell and Martin could be lethal in this division. All more than capable of getting 15 goals.

And Nugent as well don't forget. 

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

Of course not , he'll be a real asset. Just wouldn't put him in over Martin.

Oh RR some of us are the same. Very strong competition for ST role which is great to see. :)

27 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

If deployed correctly a front 4 of Ince, Vydra, Russell and Martin could be lethal in this division. All more than capable of getting 15 goals.

With that front 4 my worry would be that we could be over-run in midfield and not get enough possession.

35 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I was thinking that when I posted it, but thought I'd see were the land lies. Even if we bought another option in for the left (which we probably will) I would certainly keep Johnny about , he's the type of player who can come off the bench and make an instant impact.

100%

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

With that front 4 my worry would be that we could be over-run in midfield and not get enough possession.

I beg to differ , Martin would hold the ball up there much more than we've seen this season . And if we ever see that mythical figure often known by the name of George back in the team I think we will be much stronger in there. 

Just now, RiddingsRam said:

I beg to differ , Martin would hold the ball up there much more than we've seen this season . And if we ever see that mythical figure often known by the name of George back in the team I think we will be much stronger in there. 

And you forgot to included Fozzy. 

4 hours ago, toddy said:

I am sure Rynny could bring up the thread with all those on here that said Martin was on course this season to break into the 20 plus goals ....I am sure it was around late December/ January time?:whistle:

I am sure you are more than capable of finding the posts yourself. Name and shame.

6 hours ago, toddy said:

He spent I very long time injured? He played 5 less games[league & cup] than the previous season [taking away the play off matches] - or 8 with the extra games.

His goal count has decreased season on season, regardless of any excuses. Most strikers have dips not sure how many actually score less goals each season, apart from those that have peaked?

This season he has been at a club that is attack minded, more than we have been since 13/14, yet he is not even in the top 20 top goal scorers for the championship this season.

Don't get me wrong he was a decent striker for us but that was a few seasons back. He fitted into a certain style of play under Mac 1 with other players around him.

Those most of those players from that era have are not here, and Bryson is now 3 years older than he was then and is nowhere near the level now.

You know Martin might come back in June, but only if Fulham don't want him and Lambert changes his mind........

The question would be then does Martin fit into the pressing game GR wants us to play?

In the 14/15 season he missed 11 games. He scored 18 goals throughout the season, 2 goals short of his 13/14 total. Source: - 

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/chris-martin/leistungsdaten/spieler/46154/plus/0?saison=2014

I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that he would have beaten his tally.

The point about Fulham being more attacking is entirely subjective and I'd say they're no more attacking than our 13/14 side. He's been decent for Fulham this season but we're not talking about how he plays for Fulham, we're talking about Derby here.

He's signed a new contract with us. Fulham only get him if all three parties agree and as it stands that looks highly unlikely. We have to wait and see if Rowett wants him or not but with Bent probably not getting a new contract, I see no reason why Martin won't be given a chance. Especially considering how much this season has demonstrated it's almost a fact that we're worse without him.

6 hours ago, toddy said:

I am sure Rynny could bring up the thread with all those on here that said Martin was on course this season to break into the 20 plus goals ....I am sure it was around late December/ January time?:whistle:

Yeah and then immediately after Martin had the whole refusing to play fiasco. Weird that his goals decreased once that happened isn't it?

13 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

I agree with you about including Russell. Having a hard working forward/wide man has proved beneficial to so many teams who have finished with promotion over the years. Just because a player could get 15-20 goals a year, doesn't mean they all will. If the team are performing poorly, goals will be hard to come by. Russell's passion, work rate and desire (as well as having some obvious quality) opitimise Rowetts Derby style, and he could be the catalyst that allows those other 2-3 front men to get 15-25 goals next season, even if he only gets 5-10, I'd be happy with that!

Archived