Nick Blackman Plans

JaguarRam

12 minutes ago, nottingram said:

What does his salary have to do with it? It's not his fault someone offered him that money and I'm not sure the amount of money he takes home has anything to do with wanting to be made at home and feel wanted at a club. 

Separate point (not aimed at you at all Carl despite the quote). I find the criticism of him a bit strange really, for one reason or another we've barely seen him play. I think when he has played he's shown a good touch and some good ability all in all. And he seems a great bloke to boot with a really good attitude. Gets targeted more than anyone else which I just find a bit odd but also quite typical of our fanbase.

Couldn't agree more, especially with the second paragraph. It's what happened with Chris Baird, and look how he's proved people wrong.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Couldn't agree more, especially with the second paragraph. It's what happened with Chris Baird, and look how he's proved people wrong.

But one has actually had a good career before coming to us, the latter hasn't actually done anything. He played quite a few times at the start of the season and he was dreadful. I can still see him missing that sitter against Ipswich at home with the last kick of the game, pretty much summed his career up with us.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

If paying someone huge amounts of money guaranteed success, football would be simple! 

No real idea how that salary compares with our other players and I read all sorts of variations, for example Martin's recent pay deal was quoted anywhere between £18,000 and £30,000 per week.

As it's you, I  am more inclined to believe the figure for Blackman which I make £29,000 per week. I  still feel for him! 

Confess I rounded up for the £1.5m. I'm told it's "only" £28k a week. Of course you're right money doesn't buy success, but it must soften the blow if you've failed to make any impression on the team. So, I shan't feel for him too much!

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agreed with all of that except the final five words. I have it from a very reliable source that Blackman earns a basic salary of £1.5m a year with us. So I just can't bring myself to feel for him at all.

The craziest transfer since Conor Sammon, but in the same sort of league.

He's up there with Claude Davis, some people just have the knack in life of getting away with it.

Odd one Blackman.

Never have I seen a player so highly rated by the entire first team squad, Harry Redknapp, Nigel Pearson and Paul Clement and yet other than the odd attempted one-two and effort from distance he's shown nothing. 

18 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

If his problem is consistency from what we've seen so far, then what's wrong? Lack of consistency is probably more to do with being low on confidence and not getting a run in the team. I'm not saying he's going to improve the squad and be amazing, I just feel it's ridiculous how he's seen as a joke figure who's utter trash without really being given a chance.

Yes he's had poor moments, but you could make every player look terrible, even Will Hughes, if you put together a highlights package of their worst bits of play. I really don't have a problem with people not rating him, it's those who seem to take pleasure in attacking him and wanting him to fail. 

I guarantee that if Will Hughes organised the Kit Collection with Punjabi Rams, people would be fawning all over him.

Problem is that unlike with Will it would not be possible to put together a video of his best bits.

On 4/16/2017 at 00:46, Davide said:

Has he been given a proper chance? I mean up front as a striker. I don't think he has. He has been stuck on the wing and he isn't a winger- like Weimann and played only a handful of times, mostly as a sub. How many full games has he played up front? I think zero. Maybe one half v Leicester but that's it.  I don't think he has looked good on the ball but my point is he has not had a proper chance. A player should be given time, but we've bought players for the sake of it. Same with Weimann who actually looks good. He rarely has played though. 

it beats me we fans demand loyalty from players do we return it of course not

Blackman is a carbon copy of the mistakes we have made with nearly all the players we have brought in for the last few years ,,, we have gone out and bought players for big money / big wages with the dangled carrot of being a promotion challenging club on the up going places , these players have come to us to then find that they are not rated highly enough by us to  be in the first team and in the main are bit part players , we have paid big money for players to immediately demotivate them and strip their confidence if they are not immediate stand out stars in an underperforming team with a hugely expectant crowd and owner, how many players do you think have come to Derby over the last few years and not pretty quickly starting thinking why the f--k have they bought me ?the manager don't rate me , the crowd don't rate me and I'm seen as some kind of dud joke figure waste of money ? Now this has been magnified by the manager merry go round and changing systems , take wiemen , drops from premiership to championship only to find he's rated lower than what we have ,, now I'm not saying that these players have a ticket to walk into first team no matter what but I'm willing to bet that very few will have been sold the proposition come to Derby we really want you as a fringe squad player? 

Recruitment and manager situation has been a mess for a while , let's stop blaming players and let GR sort out how he wants us to play , keep the players he rates highly enough to play for him in his system and ethos ( with a clear message of what the manager requires from a player to make the first team and stay there),, vydra coming in for 8 mill , a club breaks its transfer record to sign you then treats you like a bad smell rated so low that at times your not even making the bench?????  

Lets get our heads out of our arses and let a no nonsense manager sort this mess out , if you step back andlook at the whole picture clearly is it any wonder we have a group of demotivated underperforming players ?

38 minutes ago, archied said:

Lets get our heads out of our arses and let a no nonsense manager sort this mess out , if you step back andlook at the whole picture clearly is it any wonder we have a group of demotivated underperforming players ?

They are underperforming at times. But look then at Weimann he's not really good enough up front at Wolves is he? Blackman bought on the back of a short goalscoring streak and cos Clement knew him?

No it's not their fault we dangled a carrot, but that still doesn't make them good enough!

People need to get off his back.

He has some good qualities, but he is not and never will be a central striker. The biggest problem he has is his best position is where Ince plays, as he is very good at drifting in onto his left foot to shoot. That's where the biggest percentage of his goals came from at Reading.

He deserves a full go under Rowett, just as Vydra did/does.

He was victim of coming into a team playing shockingly, and everyone expecting the world. And every subsequent performance was either from the bench or he would start then wouldn't again... and because he hadn't scored in the game, he would get lynched by the great unwashed.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They are underperforming at times. But look then at Weimann he's not really good enough up front at Wolves is he? Blackman bought on the back of a short goalscoring streak and cos Clement knew him?

No it's not their fault we dangled a carrot, but that still doesn't make them good enough!

Of course there is a level but the point I'm making is that a manager can take a player and get the best out of him and he can look a totally different player than he was elsewhere or look totally different when he moves on , yes there's some luck involved in runs of games but you cannot deny that there is a pattern forming with us where we buy players that are performing very well and we break them , they can't all be that bad that fans are calling for youth players to replace them ??? Don't get me wrong ,I'm not giving the players a free pass ,far from it ,I think there's a fair few at Derby that need to take a long hard look at themselves but by the same token we've created a situation where excuses can be made , changing managers , changing systems , square pegs round holes , the list goes on , for me I'm not gonna totally form an opinion of any of our players ability to go on and become a good player in a rowett team , will leave that up to rowett ,, just a normal fan that has become more and more mystified over player inconsistency at the club and massive collective and individual losses of form to the point we think decent players couldn't get in a pub team

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They are underperforming at times. But look then at Weimann he's not really good enough up front at Wolves is he? 

Weimann' registered either a goal or an assist every time he's started as a striker for Wolves.

Funnily enough he's only scored one in thirteen as a winger!

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

Weimann' registered either a goal or an assist every time he's started as a striker for Wolves.

Funnily enough he's only scored one in thirteen as a winger!

That would be one start as striker would it? Edit: Or two starts ie one goal, one assist. Odd that they play him as a winger then?

Archived