An Evening with Gary Rowett

needles

Went along tonight, maybe 80 people got an hour with GR with Gibbo compering.

Nothing controversial, although there was a bit here and there you could extrapolate from to go "Oh aye" if you wanted to be a shock journalist. I don't. I just want to tell you my impression of the man himself.

Massively impressed.

First off, he's not a full on alpha male who's going to dominate a room by pure machismo and possibly piss off half of that room in the process.

Collected but natural, with a lack of ego compared to recent gaffers.

A leader - the kind that is easy with their authority and doesn't seem to feel the need to be proving something all the time. Think exactly unlike say, Nigel Pearson. Quite ready to make the hard decisions all the same.

Pragmatist in terms of tactics and on field approach.

Honest.

Astute with and focussed on psychology with convincing reflections on how the make up of the squad and entire club will be affected by the size and balance the playing and backroom staff.

We're in good hands.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, cosmic said:

The last lot all talked a good a game. Let's hope we're still impressed with this one come Christmas.

You're optimistic. I'm expecting him to be sacked after a winless run in June! 

51 minutes ago, needles said:

Went along tonight, maybe 80 people got an hour with GR with Gibbo compering.

Nothing controversial, although there was a bit here and there you could extrapolate from to go "Oh aye" if you wanted to be a shock journalist. I don't. I just want to tell you my impression of the man himself.

Massively impressed.

First off, he's not a full on alpha male who's going to dominate a room by pure machismo and possibly piss off half of that room in the process.

Collected but natural, with a lack of ego compared to recent gaffers.

A leader - the kind that is easy with their authority and doesn't seem to feel the need to be proving something all the time. Think exactly unlike say, Nigel Pearson. Quite ready to make the hard decisions all the same.

Pragmatist in terms of tactics and on field approach.

Honest.

Astute with and focussed on psychology with convincing reflections on how the make up of the squad and entire club will be affected by the size and balance the playing and backroom staff.

We're in good hands.

He's met me on 3 occasions (!). I've always been impressed by his enthusiasm and willingness to share his passion about football. The word is "chutzpah". I really hope he succeeds; he seems to have enough pragmatism to go far. 

PistoldPete2
1 minute ago, mickram said:

Saw on twitter from someone who attended that 8 will be gone and he'll bring 4 in.

I think it will be hard to move 8 on. Camara , bent maybe. Blackman is injured , who will want him? Weimann perhaps. Shackell also injured, and he's our only cb cover. After that who else. Fringe players like Hanson and raw son maybe. He might be looking to upgrade a few positions so one or two first team players to go. Pearce maybe. 

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

I think it will be hard to move 8 on. Camara , bent maybe. Blackman is injured , who will want him? Weimann perhaps. Shackell also injured, and he's our only cb cover. After that who else. Fringe players like Hanson and raw son maybe. He might be looking to upgrade a few positions so one or two first team players to go. Pearce maybe. 

Baird, possibly olsson if he thinks forsyth and lowe could cover.

Wouldn't be surprised if we tried to trim midfield to open up chance for one or even 2 of the youth to be used for cover. If we have Thorne Butterfield hughes and Johnson all fit plus Hanson and 1 more for cover that's quite a lot for a midfield 2.

As has been written elsewhere tho - wanting to move players on is one thing. Actually being able to do decent deals another. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Was this QnA a bit hush hush?

Think this was the one at David Lloyds, that was meant to be with Mac, that they advertised as "cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances". Seen it mentioned a few times on here.

6 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

8 out, 4 in? hmm..

Who could those 8 be then?  

Bent, Baird, Blackman, Wiemann, Camara I would imagine, then you have to look at the balance of the squad.

Olsson, Lowe and Fozzy for left back so one from there. 

Keogh, Pearce, Shacks, Rawson at CB, I can see him bringing one in so maybe 1 or 2 of those. 

Christie? Maybe, we need a younger version of Baird. 

Johnson, Hughes, Bryson, Thorne, Butters, Hanson all centre mids. Maybe a couple of those. 

So 8 is really quite realistic. We have a bloated squad at the minute with some high earners. But like has been said the high earners can be hard to shift. 

For the 4 coming in I would like to see a dominant CB (captain material), a RB as said a younger Baird, a new wide player then a.n other, maybe a DM if he is wanting to play the two holding midfielders. 

Time will tell though. 

7 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Bent, Baird, Blackman, Wiemann, Camara I would imagine, then you have to look at the balance of the squad.

Olsson, Lowe and Fozzy for left back so one from there. 

Keogh, Pearce, Shacks, Rawson at CB, I can see him bringing one in so maybe 1 or 2 of those. 

Christie? Maybe, we need a younger version of Baird. 

Johnson, Hughes, Bryson, Thorne, Butters, Hanson all centre mids. Maybe a couple of those. 

So 8 is really quite realistic. We have a bloated squad at the minute with some high earners. But like has been said the high earners can be hard to shift. 

For the 4 coming in I would like to see a dominant CB (captain material), a RB as said a younger Baird, a new wide player then a.n other, maybe a DM if he is wanting to play the two holding midfielders. 

Time will tell though. 

So it could well be Bent, Baird, Blackman, Weimann, Camara, Christie, Olsson, Butterfield

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

So it could well be Bent, Baird, Blackman, Weimann, Camara, Christie, Olsson, Butterfield

I don't think that will be far off our ideal goodbye list.

I think it will be one from hughes, bryson, johnson or butterfield but it's hard to definitively say which one. It will rely on Thorne's fitness and offers received. 

I could see Baird given another year. Replacing both RBs would be interesting. 

Archived