Vydra

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CumbrianRam said:

I must say I do admire peoples complete blind faith in Vydra, I bet if we paid 800k for him there wouldn't be, a lot of saving face.

I had high hopes when we signed Vydra, only ever remember him being a nuisance when playing against us.

Clearly has no place in our current system and is obviously not doing enough in training for the management to think we should be changing our system to suit him.

Pre-season is more likely to be the time when Mac will be tinkering to see what formation suits the players at his disposal but with the return of Martin I don't see much changing.

12 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

I must say I do admire peoples complete blind faith in Vydra, I bet if we paid 800k for him there wouldn't be, a lot of saving face.

Being fast at running always wins over some support. 

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Another thread where someone who can't get in the team is all of a sudden a complete world beater.

Can't wait to see our new front 3 of Camara, Vydra and Bennett scoring for fun.

Jewell would still be our manager if he played Villa, Pereplotkins and Kazmierczak back in 2008.

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I had high hopes when we signed Vydra, only ever remember him being a nuisance when playing against us.

Clearly has no place in our current system and is obviously not doing enough in training for the management to think we should be changing our system to suit him.

Pre-season is more likely to be the time when Mac will be tinkering to see what formation suits the players at his disposal but with the return of Martin I don't see much changing.

We have a system ? 

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

Well I saw him score a goal - at Reading I think.  Does that count?

Give the guy a break

Why? Martin wasn't given a break when he was scoring and making goals regularly for us. Vydra, on the other hand, is allowed much more leeway by some. Not sure why the double standards?

24 minutes ago, angieram said:

Why? Martin wasn't given a break when he was scoring and making goals regularly for us. Vydra, on the other hand, is allowed much more leeway by some. Not sure why the double standards?

angieram, I'm surprised by your comment and question.  Yes, there are Martin dislikers on here, whether he is scoring or not, but I'm not one of them.  In 50 plus years I have only ever disliked one Derby player however incompetent any of them might actually have been and CM wasn't that player.  Neither is Vydra.  So there's no double standards.

CM, and many other players come to that, took a while to get going in a Rams shirt - for what it's worth I can distinctly recall negative mutterings about both Colin Todd and Roy McFarland in their early days, and others who have legendary status - and as someone who has moved many times around the country in the course of my working life I know how hard it is to settle into a new organisation, in a different part of the country when your family and friends are many, many miles away.  When you add to that the fact that success or failure is very public, then the life of a transferred footballer is rarely easy.

On that basis I believe that Vydra deserves a break.  He came, no doubt with an assurance that we would play a certain way that would suit his approach, and the guy that wanted him was moved on soon afterwards; he came for a big fee (through no fault of his own) and no doubt on pretty reasonable money (as we would also do in his place); he's living away from home, has struggled in the old and new system and is probably pretty low on self confidence in the world in which he works.  From what I've seen of him so far this year, which like you isn't that much, he's never hidden, never stopped trying and hasn't had much luck.  

I don't think he deserves questions like: has he beaten a defender and got a shot on target yet?, which is what I was replying to.

It may well be that he will move on, that he will become a Derek Hales footnote in our history - record signing, great hopes, no return.  But I still believe that he deserves a break at this point in his Derby career.

9 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

angieram, I'm surprised by your comment and question.  Yes, there are Martin dislikers on here, whether he is scoring or not, but I'm not one of them.  In 50 plus years I have only ever disliked one Derby player however incompetent any of them might actually have been and CM wasn't that player.  Neither is Vydra.  So there's no double standards.

CM, and many other players come to that, took a while to get going in a Rams shirt - for what it's worth I can distinctly recall negative mutterings about both Colin Todd and Roy McFarland in their early days, and others who have legendary status - and as someone who has moved many times around the country in the course of my working life I know how hard it is to settle into a new organisation, in a different part of the country when your family and friends are many, many miles away.  When you add to that the fact that success or failure is very public, then the life of a transferred footballer is rarely easy.

On that basis I believe that Vydra deserves a break.  He came, no doubt with an assurance that we would play a certain way that would suit his approach, and the guy that wanted him was moved on soon afterwards; he came for a big fee (through no fault of his own) and no doubt on pretty reasonable money (as we would also do in his place); he's living away from home, has struggled in the old and new system and is probably pretty low on self confidence in the world in which he works.  From what I've seen of him so far this year, which like you isn't that much, he's never hidden, never stopped trying and hasn't had much luck.  

I don't think he deserves questions like: has he beaten a defender and got a shot on target yet?, which is what I was replying to.

It may well be that he will move on, that he will become a Derek Hales footnote in our history - record signing, great hopes, no return.  But I still believe that he deserves a break at this point in his Derby career.

I agree about the comment from the other poster, not necessary or even factually accurate.

Regarding how much I have seen of Vydra in a Derby shirt, I have seen every minute apart from any he played at Cardiff and Ipswich away. What I have observed is a player with clever feet and a good turn. I hoped that I would see effort too but that has not been apparent and he has been very lightweight in the challenge.  Most disheartening for me has been a lack of positional sense where he has seemed to run in the opposite direction to the one required and to have poor instinct for where his team-mates want him to go. 

Ironically, I think his best performance was at Leicester in the cup where he looked more interested and was involved in some good link up play. Then he lost the ball in an exposed position that led to a Leicester goal and that's probably why we haven't seen him on the pitch since.

Do I want him to suceed here? Yes. But it will mean a change of system from us and a change in attitude from him. I suspect the return of Martin is his biggest hope of an improvement, unless he is given a chance with Nugent before then.

I hope he isn't another Derek Hales - I had many a sore throat encouraging him on back in the day! 

Vydra's a martyr of the Pearson era. His 'run of games' was in a side that wasn't performing. 

Give him another chance. He's not going to be Kevin Hector, Dean Saunders or Chris Martin. But he's one of very few alternatives we have until the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Waffle said:

Vydra's a martyr of the Pearson era. His 'run of games' was in a side that wasn't performing. 

Give him another chance. He's not going to be Kevin Hector, Dean Saunders or Chris Martin. But he's one of very few alternatives we have until the end of the season.

Or perhaps the club have just made a big mistake? It's not inconceivable is it? I have not seen every minute that Vydra has played for Derby, but others may have. I still don't have any understanding at all, as to what attributes this player has. I am more than happy to be enlightened though.

1 hour ago, europia said:

Or perhaps the club have just made a big mistake? It's not inconceivable is it? I have not seen every minute that Vydra has played for Derby, but others may have. I still don't have any understanding at all, as to what attributes this player has. I am more than happy to be enlightened though.

Obviously it's not inconceivable. He was the part of the plan for another manager. I'm not a Pearson advocate, far from it and in the first part of the season I'd argue Vydra looked like a nearly man. Right runs, right place but was unlucky not to score. 

As someone else remarked too. I think Leicester was on of his better games, bar the mistake leading to Gray's goal. He showed an ability to hold the ball up and link up with other players. He dropped deep to receive the ball and won the ball in Leicester's half.

I'm not sure why he's not been involved. I just don't think he should be used as a scapegoat and that's why I've been vocal in supporting him. 

On paper he's not delivered but it doesn't mean there's not a chance for him to still perform.

1 minute ago, Waffle said:

As someone else remarked too. I think Leicester was on of his better games, bar the mistake leading to Gray's goal. He showed an ability to hold the ball up and link up with other players. He dropped deep to receive the ball and won the ball in Leicester's half.

A bit.

I'm of the view Vydra is just totally the wrong player to play in the 4-3-3 that McClaren prefers. Derby knew before we bought him he played his best years in a 4-4-2 next to a target man (Deeney). I don't think Vydra is strong enough to play upfront on his own, nor do I think he offers more than Bent or Nugent, and certainly not Martin. Overall, I'd prefer if we offload in the summer, since I don't think he'll cut it for Derby. I don't blame Vydra for this, he just isn't right for us. 

Can only play with a hold up man but we let Martin go. Someone tried to tell me Wilson was the hold man replacement for Martin on here. What can you say to that. Not sure who plans this stuff at the club, recruitment has just been terrible here for a while.

Archived