Steve McClaren

DEL

10 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

Says a lot for his assessment if he decided Chris Weale was needed :ph34r:

I think there are one or two examples where it can be argued that Pearson showed contempt towards Derby, getting his mate a job last minute when we already had GK's and a GK coach is just one. His seeming lack of research of our players going into the job was another. I'm not saying he didn't want to be a manager, but I never got the feeling he wanted to be here

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

I think there are one or two examples where it can be argued that Pearson showed contempt towards Derby, getting his mate a job last minute when we already had GK's and a GK coach is just one. His seeming lack of research of our players going into the job was another. I'm not saying he didn't want to be a manager, but I never got the feeling he wanted to be here

Planned Villa's pre-season tour ,got cold feet about their owners and ended up at Derby.

6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

similar can be said for Clement.

11 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Talk about exaggeration. Only a high scoring game against lower league in the cup gave fans talk of promise. But against Burnley and Forest reality showed , before NC was sacked. For regular supporters/watchers at that titme ( were you going to games then?) the style of football was important. MacClaren drastically improved this. No higher than 33% win rate and drab football are Clough's hallmarks wherever he has been.

Of course I was going to games then.

The style of football at Brighton (2-1), Yeovil (3-0) Brentford (5-0) and Millwall (5-1) was superb (or did you forget about those games?). "we" lost against Froest but I'll still stand my ground and say second half we smashed them and it was only the sending off that stopped us winning the game.

No higher than 33% win rate (apart from at both his other clubs - sheff united 47 or 48% and Burton probably around 41%?

See that's the thing I struggle with, you're not even arguing based on facts, just something that you've got stuck in your head.

12 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Planned Villa's pre-season tour ,got cold feet about their owners and ended up at Derby.

About right....

He should have looked at our club,our set up,the squad and thought long and hard before trying to change everything so quickly.

I will admit that he was my choice in the lead up to his joining the club,I thought that his aggression and style might actually get us up...not in a pretty way but effectively.

But after going to Walsall and watching a pre season game where we were dreadful I began to have my doubts.....

Once the season started and he didn't start ince and Martin,then sold Chrissie and our football became absolutely dire I realised that I had made a huge mistake.....I'd imagine that Mel's face wasn't unlike mine at that point but with the added is bonus for him of having spent £15 million to watch a team play like a pub squad.

No wonder we wanted Mac back.....and even now,when we aren't winning under him,I am so grateful he is back and I can enjoy watching football again...it's no 2013/14 yet but at least it's not boring.

43 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

But when Pearson took over,the squad wasn't in a bad way.....it needed tweaking by a good manager i.e a few quality additions.

Pearson destroyed it by getting rid of two of our best players,switching to a 442,and failing to buy in replacements that could justify the change and score goals....I appreciate he had the best intentions as a new manager of a new club but to try to totally change an essentially 433 set up squad in one season was mental.

If he had stayed with the 433 and kept Martin with vydra,who knows?

So now we are left trying to play 443 (or similar) with a squad that's not set up for either system.

Now,you could argue that in the long term,np would have turned it around but I fear that we would have been relegated first....

As,it is,we will have rebuild in the summer to fix our preferred 433.

Its currently in the same bad way now isn't?

The biggest load of Shiite constantly mentioned in this forum is that footballers cannot play any other system / formation other than 4-3-3.

The problems within this squad are far bigger than Chris Martin not playing for us. 

You do realise we are in relegation form right now -this year we have w2 d2 lost 6.

The problem with relaying on 4-3-3 is when you go up against an organised 4-4-2 you come unstuck, that is where we are.

Plan B was an issue 3 years ago, plan B is still an issue - although the issues are not with the managers never were - Clement/Wassall/Pearson now Mac all have the same problems  -getting the players to do what they are asked to do on the pitch. I have said it more than once this season once a player crosses that white line they have to take responsibility - they don't and that is why Clement, Wassall, Pearson failed and Mac is now falling into that bracket too.

7 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

True NP said as much at a press conference.Fairly well documented at the time I believe. 

12 minutes ago, cannable said:

Planned their pre-season however I think it's their owner that had a change of heart

Fair enough! Had Pearson given them a list of transfer targets then??

34 minutes ago, toddy said:

Its currently in the same bay way now isn't?

The biggest load of Shiite constantly mentioned in this forum is that footballers cannot play any other system / formation other than 4-3-3.

The problems within this squad are far bigger than Chris Martin not playing for us. 

You do realise we are in relegation form right now -this year we have w2 d2 lost 6.

The problem with relaying on 4-3-3 is when you go up against an organised 4-4-2 you come unstuck, that is where we are.

Plan B was an issue 3 years ago, plan B is still an issue - although the issues are not with the managers never have been - Clement/Wassall/Pearson now Mac all have the same problems  -getting the players to do what they are asked to do on the pitch. I have said it more than once this season once a player crosses that white line they have to take responsibility - they don't and that is why Clement, Wassall, Pearson failed and Mac is now falling into that bracket too.

I don't buy that...Players don't stop playing to the best of their abilities on a whim or because they don't want responsibility.

Confidence is key to any sportsman and when results don't go your way despite putting 100 percent in,that can drop away resulting in less risks,less shots,less quality passes etc.

Certain players are less suited to different team set ups too....In the 433 it's best to have a hold up cf who can both score and lay off to other players...Martin and to a lesser extent Nugent are clearly happier and suited to that than vydra.

That's not vydras or say,a midfielder with great strength but less mobility,in our current set up but it means the team is less effective than when Hendrick and martin,who do suit the system are in the team.

Being less effective leads to a lack of confidence and worse results.....one thing leads to another.

On 3/1/2017 at 06:47, PistoldPete2 said:

Not Mel Morris fault... He's only brought in the fans choices . Unfortunately the fans choices have turned out to be the wrong ones. 

Good points, but you know what i mean.

1 hour ago, PrivateDerby said:

I think we need to back the Mac and give him time, just needs a bloody good clear out. Look to next season now and go for it.

We talk about whether or not Mel will be prepared to back new signings but, just as importantly I think, is him being prepared to back letting players leave for less than we paid.

How can he not fashion a functioning side out of the players we have? A great or even a competent coach should be able to tweak tactics to get out the best out of the squad he has. If he can't he isn't very good.

Look how well the geezer's done at Huddersfield, or Monk at Leeds, how can they get the best out of previously failing teams.

It ain't tactics it's getting the best out of the squad you have, inspiring players to run through brick walls for the team. Managers do that with much lesser players than ours, once you hit the first bump in the road, Maclaren is a busted flush.

Sorry but Mac out!

I'm a big McClaren fan, but I definitely see the comparisons with the 14/15 collapse. We missed Thorne and Martin then too. This time we could be missing Keogh for a bit too.

It's worrying that we still haven't dealt with that really, but on the flipside you have to realise that it's hard to play without your key players for the system.

So I'm mixed on the subject. Still a Mac fan but he's not getting away with absolutely everything. I would advise all fans to take that standpoint because it's a nice compromise between wrist-slasher and happy-clapper and you'll get in much fewer pointless arguments over the internet. 

2 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

How can he not fashion a functioning side out of the players we have? A great or even a competent coach should be able to tweak tactics to get out the best out of the squad he has. If he can't he isn't very good.

Look how well the geezer's done at Huddersfield, or Monk at Leeds, how can they get the best out of previously failing teams.

It ain't tactics it's getting the best out of the squad you have, inspiring players to run through brick walls for the team. Managers do that with much lesser players than ours, once you hit the first bump in the road, Maclaren is a busted flush.

Sorry but Mac out!

Maybe you should look at their transfers this season before suggesting their managers are doing better then the one before!!

4 minutes ago, Purpleram said:

Sorry but Mac out!

Wagner and Monk bought in a lot of players at their sides.

Archived