Steve McClaren

DEL

8 minutes ago, ram2508 said:

Maybe our players over acheive and mac had got them playing above their ability. And now they have faltered through not being able to play above their level for a sustained period? Same core of players with several managers and same result come after christmas

A reasonable theory

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/02/2017 at 22:02, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Give him a proper go next season and hopefully he'll put it right. Some of the players aren't his anyway. Please please please back him guys! 

STEVE MAC BARMY ARMY ??

Why would anyone want to back repeated failure?

He advanced Clough's crop pretty well when he first arrived, or had the work already been done?

I know why he cant advance the current crop...............

22 hours ago, GerryDaly said:

How much have we spent on this squad ? 

Where were we in the championship table last December ? Remind me ? 

Do you want to have a chat with Mel ? 

There's no need

to hit return multiple times

whenever

you finish a sentence.

It adds zero emphasis

and makes it look

like you have dyslexic digits.

32 minutes ago, 86 points said:

There's no need

to hit return multiple times

whenever

you finish a sentence.

It adds zero emphasis

and makes it look

like you have dyslexic digits.

Okay Chief

I think it took a lot for Mel to swallow his pride and bring McClaren back.

Unless we lose another 6-7 games between now and May, I don't think Mel's patience will be tested.

I think he is going to let this one play out and give McClaren the time he needs, for better or for worse.

At the time of McClaren's appointment, I would have gone in a different direction personally and so I wouldn't be upset if we replaced McClaren.

However, I am not the one tasked with finding his replacement and given that Mel and Sam have overseen the appointment of 3 permanent managers, 2 caretaker managers and a minder in less than two years, confidence in their ability to identify a good, long term fit for us can't be very high.

Mel has to show some conviction in his decision making or he is at risk of becoming a particularly laughable and inflammatory caricature of a football club owner.

While I agree performances and results both sound poor and we could and should be doing better, there is no immediate fix and we have to come to terms with that. It's not going to be a quick wave of the magic wand. 

Whoever follows McClaren won't have it easy either.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think it took a lot for Mel to swallow his pride and bring McClaren back.

Unless we lose another 6-7 games between now and May, I don't think Mel's patience will be tested.

I think he is going to let this one play out and give McClaren the time he needs, for better or for worse.

At the time of McClaren's appointment, I would have gone in a different direction personally and so I wouldn't be upset if we replaced McClaren.

However, I am not the one tasked with finding his replacement and given that Mel and Sam have overseen the appointment of 3 permanent managers, 2 caretaker managers and a minder in less than two years, confidence in their ability to identify a good, long term fit for us can't be very high.

Mel has to show some conviction in his decision making or he is at risk of becoming a particularly laughable and inflammatory caricature of a football club owner.

While I agree performances and results both sound poor and we could and should be doing better, there is no immediate fix and we have to come to terms with that. It's not going to be a quick wave of the magic wand. 

Whoever follows McClaren won't have it easy either.

Good post. I only take slight issue with the 'unless we lose another 6-7 games'. 

I think that's extremely likely sadly :unsure:

In my opinion I'm really not sure SMC is ever going to get us where we want to be but i think the problems lie deeper than just SMC.

Evans and Rush should go  as well as SMC and Mel should start afresh giving the manager the necessary time and limited funds to wheel and deal offloading as many of the failures here as possible ( if anyone will have them !!)

This may be a long shot but If Huddersfield fail to go up Derby should tempt David Wagner in from them with a big offer and  promise to support him because to me he's been totally inspiring at a club with no big name players playing an attractive style and think we would love his passion shown on the touchline....just my opinion...

On 01/03/2017 at 23:27, GerryDaly said:

He failed at Newcastle ... Massively so .... 

The Job he was really wanting too ... 

Yet he failed ... 

There are at least 19 managers that fail in the Premier League every year.

This year will most likely include Guardiola, Mourinho and Klopp. 

9 hours ago, Pearson said:

Why would anyone want to back repeated failure?

He advanced Clough's crop pretty well when he first arrived, or had the work already been done?

I know why he cant advance the current crop...............

Is 4th bottom to midtable not an advance?

It is in my books.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There are at least 19 managers that fail in the Premier League every year.

This year will most likely include Guardiola, Mourinho and Klopp. 

Only really correct if all those 19 teams expectations were to win the league.......

Sith Happens
21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Shouldn't that be every teams expectation at the beginning of the season? 

You don't really believe that do you? Do you think Burton's aim this season is promotion?

Sith Happens

McClaren hasnt failed this season. Regardless of what the fans aim was, his remit was to ensure the club were not involved in a relegation battle. It looks like he has succeeded in that.

If we are in a similar position this time next year, yes he will be failing.

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Shouldn't that be every teams expectation at the beginning of the season? 

Yeah right, so you think Burnley, Boro , Waford, Bournemouth, WBA, Southampton, Sunderland etc expectations were to win the league? :lol:

Reality is, almost all of the prem clubs is to finish above bottom 3, certain clubs Man city's/UTD/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs and Liverpool will be try to win it . A few teams expectations will be try to get into Europe as a goal.

Yeah 19 prem clubs expectations are to win the league....:lol:

7 minutes ago, toddy said:

Yeah right, so you think Burnley, Boro , Waford, Bournemouth, WBA, Southampton, Sunderland etc expectations were to win the league? :lol:

Reality is, almost all of the prem clubs is to finish above bottom 3, certain clubs Man city's/UTD/Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs and Liverpool will be try to win it . A few teams expectations will be try to get into Europe as a goal.

Agree up to a point, except....

Leicester!

11 minutes ago, toddy said:

Was tongue in cheek...

8 minutes ago, steve brummie said:

Agree up to a point, except....

Leicester!

Leicester won it because of the changes going on in the big 3, Chelsea/City and Utd - possibly the one team that blown it last season was Arsenal.

Ranieri's expectation this season was top 10, he did say that was the best they could do with having the champions league to play in too.

28 minutes ago, toddy said:

Leicester won it because of the changes going on in the big 3, Chelsea/City and Utd - possibly the one team that blown it last season was Arsenal.

Ranieri's expectation this season was top 10, he did say that was the best they could do with having the champions league to play in too.

so why didn't Liverpool or Spurs win it? Why Leicester?

Archived