Blackburn Rovers v Derby County

AmericanRam

Omg how frustrating was that. Can't believe we lost. The one thing for sure though, it makes you appreciate what a great club we support when you see huge stadiums like Ewood Park so empty. No doubt Blackburn a good club, but that was depressing to see tonight. As a team they were dreadful, gave the ball away so much. We just gifted them chances and didn't take our own. So yet again Derby 1 Derby 0. Oh.... pleased with Johnson, thought he worked his socks off. Vydra, Camara looked a threat when they came on. Only a matter of time for Nugent. Keep the faith even though right now is tough times for us Rams fans. 

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JG400 said:

Can you see them shipping out 8+ players though and bringing 8 in , I can't who would buy them , if he is going to stick with 433 , is mel going to let Anya , Vydra , go for nothing  and who wants Russell , Ollsen , Christe , two of Bryson, Johnson, Butterfield , or Shackell plus paying off Bent/ Baird , that is a clear out god we could get rid of so many bang average players its frightening

And can we trust anyone at the club to identify the right targets

Apparently both Brighton and Birmingham were recently very keen on Russell if you believe the tabloids. 

Just got back from the game and thought I'd do some player ratings.

Carson 7 - made all saves he was required to make apart from the penalty for which he is not to blame.

Christie 4 - Awful crosses, overplayed the ball frequently, not a good night for him.

Baird 6 - Looked solid enough, not his natural position, but decent performance from him.

Pearce 4 - Could only see from the other end of the stadium where I was sat, but looked stonewall to me. Not a clue what he was doing.

Lowe 4 - See Christie, also very hesitant to try take a man on.

Russell 5 - Didn't create much going forward, guilty of some poor touches, a night to forget.

De Sart 4/5 - Poor again, makes some of his passes so obvious to everyone in the stadium that they are easily intercepted, didn't create much tempo and was weak in the tackle. Poor.

Hughes 5 - Largely ineffectual night for Hughes, didn't seem to lose the ball much, however didn't create anything either. His shooting is truly awful. 

Johnson 6 - He was okay. Won his headers, got the ball moving. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible.

Ince 6 - Frustrating night for Tom. Probably should have scored the chance Vydra set up for him, tried his best to make opportunities from the limited ball he received.

Nugent 7.5 - Not quite good enough to warrant an 8 (if he had finished his chance he would have) but yet better than a 7. Won most of his chances in the air, moved around well and did clever flicks. My Derby MOTM.

Vydra 7 - I've been critical of Vydra in the past, yet he was one of Derby's top performers tonight. Was positive in possession, always tried to go forward and had moments of trickery and magic, namely to set Ince up for a chance he should have scored. Would like to see more of this! 

Camara 6 - The usual for Camara, some frustrating features of his game such as not releasing the ball when he should, however did some nice skills to get round a player. Looked more dangerous than Russell who he replaced.

Anya - NA.

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Sacking now would be pointless. Assessment in the summer, perhaps, but now? 

Gary Rowett is available now. Darren Wassall was a useful stand in this time last year. Mac has lost the plot... Can't see any point in waiting til the summer. 

PistoldPete2
12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Just got back from the game and thought I'd do some player ratings.

Carson 7 - made all saves he was required to make apart from the penalty for which he is not to blame.

Christie 4 - Awful crosses, overplayed the ball frequently, not a good night for him.

Baird 6 - Looked solid enough, not his natural position, but decent performance from him.

Pearce 4 - Could only see from the other end of the stadium where I was sat, but looked stonewall to me. Not a clue what he was doing.

Lowe 4 - See Christie, also very hesitant to try take a man on.

Russell 5 - Didn't create much going forward, guilty of some poor touches, a night to forget.

De Sart 4/5 - Poor again, makes some of his passes so obvious to everyone in the stadium that they are easily intercepted, didn't create much tempo and was weak in the tackle. Poor.

Hughes 5 - Largely ineffectual night for Hughes, didn't seem to lose the ball much, however didn't create anything either. His shooting is truly awful. 

Johnson 6 - He was okay. Won his headers, got the ball moving. Nothing spectacular, nothing terrible.

Ince 6 - Frustrating night for Tom. Probably should have scored the chance Vydra set up for him, tried his best to make opportunities from the limited ball he received.

Nugent 7.5 - Not quite good enough to warrant an 8 (if he had finished his chance he would have) but yet better than a 7. Won most of his chances in the air, moved around well and did clever flicks. My Derby MOTM.

Vydra 7 - I've been critical of Vydra in the past, yet he was one of Derby's top performers tonight. Was positive in possession, always tried to go forward and had moments of trickery and magic, namely to set Ince up for a chance he should have scored. Would like to see more of this! 

Camara 6 - The usual for Camara, some frustrating features of his game such as not releasing the ball when he should, however did some nice skills to get round a player. Looked more dangerous than Russell who he replaced.

Anya - NA.

Thanks andicis. Sounds like a few recent games again . Been a bit disappointed with Lowe since he came back, like you say looks hesitant going forward. And hughes was lucky to be picked tonight. Not sure why butterfield didn't get on leave alone start. 

Oh dear, whatever Mac tries nothing seems to work. 

2 hours ago, JG400 said:

Sounds like mine and many other peoples job , except I cannot afford to refuse to work and still expect to get paid

2 hours ago, MrsRam said:

Bet you're not on 40 grand a WEEK either. 

Yep, he's started 18 games for them and only scored 10 goals. His 'refusal to work' has truly been their undoing. Jesus....

2 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Well, just back and half way through a glass of white - it's a local match for us Yorkierams.

Two teams struggling with confidence and a poor but even first half. Will had a couple of off target shots that he should have done better with; Tom Ince a long range shot that rattled the goalie's gloves and they had a couple of half chances which Carson dealt with well - mainly caused because Bird was out jumped by a guy 18 inches bigger than him.  Bird was not one of tonight's problems.

The second half was meandering on until they got their penalty - looked a bit soft from 200 yards away but young Ilkley said later that it was a penalty (he was at home in London).  The response to going 1 down was excellent and apart from a couple of breakaways that came to nought and a long range shot, the rest of the match was Derby camped in the Blackburn half.  Nugent and Johnson had shots from 6 yards that were somehow blocked; Bradley hit the bar with a late header and Tom Ince was given a good opportunity by Camara but got the ball off balance and the shot was easily saved. But we didn't really create enough clear chances.

To state the bleeding obvious we aren't scoring and creating enough; Will is not dominating the midfield as he should be doing (is he not fully fit or suffering the effects of a season out?) and we lack the creativity to break down a determined defence and a Robbie van de Laan/Carsley/Taylor/Powell in midfield - someone who's not necessarily the best footballer but who can affect the game through force of personality, effort and leadership. In Ramage's terms, a ratter.

There were good things.  Nugent linked play really well and as a result the movement was much better and ball retention up front better.  He's no slouch in the air either.  Vydra when he came on was good - strong on the ball, prepared to run at defenders and link play; Abdul had a reasonable cameo but I worry if cameo is what he is good for; de Sart stretched the play well - some of his long, crossfield passing is fantastic and his tackling/interceptions weren't bad either. He's getting fitter and better.

A game in the final analysis, we should and could have won.  Disappointing that we didn't.  I would keep Nugent in on Saturday.  I think he makes us play better as a team.  If Keogh's fit I bring him back and I would be tempted to put Bird in for Christie and Anya for JR (but I wouldn't argue with playing Vydra instead) plus Olsson for Max Lowe, who had a hard time today.

Another glass, for medicinal purposes.............

Good assessment of tonights game but am I the only one there that thought we had a fair shout for a penalty in the 2nd half? Nugent seemed to get bundled to the the ground as he was set to head it home or maybe the San Miguels before the game clouded my judgement. One things for sure is that we didn't play with any purpose until we went behind. We did for the most part though look like the team that was relegation threatened. Very cautious and lacking in ideas .  Vydras introduction did spark a bit more positivity and maybe that might be the key to building up his confidence. Using him away from home where the pressure is less intense. On the whole a turgid encounter that we should have got a point from.

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Good assessment of tonights game but am I the only one there that thought we had a fair shout for a penalty in the 2nd half? Nugent seemed to get bundled to the the ground as he was set to head it home or maybe the San Miguels before the game clouded my judgement. One things for sure is that we didn't play with any purpose until we went behind. We did for the most part though look like the team that was relegation threatened. Very cautious and lacking in ideas .  Vydras introduction did spark a bit more positivity and maybe that might be the key to building up his confidence. Using him away from home where the pressure is less intense. On the whole a turgid encounter that we should have got a point from.

Sure one or two mentioned the pen, yes. Haven't seen the game yet but neither Nugent or Mac mentioned it in their respective interviews, for what that's worth. Both did enforce your overall view of the game however. We're a side desperately short of confidence right now but not ability IMO. Just our fair share of luck wouldn't go amiss too!

I still think that Vydra, disappointing as he has been so far, can come good for us but I think he'd need to play alongside Nugent rather than Dazza. Nugent will be scoring goals very soon, of that I'd be certain. One or two on here writing him off already and yet tonight was the first game he's started. Go figure!

16 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Sure one or two mentioned the pen, yes. Haven't seen the game yet but neither Nugent or Mac mentioned it in their respective interviews, for what that's worth. Both did enforce your overall view of the game however. We're a side desperately short of confidence right now but not ability IMO. Just our fair share of luck wouldn't go amiss too!

I still think that Vydra, disappointing as he has been so far, can come good for us but I think he'd need to play alongside Nugent rather than Dazza. Nugent will be scoring goals very soon, of that I'd be certain. One or two on here writing him off already and yet tonight was the first game he's started. Go figure!

Spot on. Can't expect him(Nugent) to be up to speed when he's not getting the game time to improve his sharpness. He was unlucky not to score tonight in a goalmouth scramble as was Bradley Johnson if I remember rightly. Thought we would struggle tonight too with Chris Baird at centre half but fair play to him , he hardly put a foot wrong barring a couple of misplaced passes. Disappointing result again however against a team struggling team. Worrying times but definitely not a time for knee jerk reactions. 

7 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Spot on. Can't expect him(Nugent) to be up to speed when he's not getting the game time to improve his sharpness. He was unlucky not to score tonight in a goalmouth scramble as was Bradley Johnson if I remember rightly. Thought we would struggle tonight too with Chris Baird at centre half but fair play to him , he hardly put a foot wrong barring a couple of misplaced passes. Disappointing result again however against a team struggling team. Worrying times but definitely not a time for knee jerk reactions. 

Amen to that!

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I've watched it a few times.

doesn't look a penalty to me.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10785971/blackburn-1-0-derby

The striker seems to be going over a split second before pearce has stuck his leg out. Classic case of a dive looking convincing enough.

Looked pretty much like the Bent incident against Villa, decisions just don't seem to be going out way at the moment.

The highlights certainly don't do Pearce any favours, how slow and clumsy does he look?!

Sith Happens
36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Looked pretty much like the Bent incident against Villa, decisions just don't seem to be going out way at the moment.

The highlights certainly don't do Pearce any favours, how slow and clumsy does he look?!

agree looks a penalty to me. I suppose another example of inconsistency with refeering at the moment.

6 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Defender pushed him in the back as he rose for the header. Would have been given against us but not for us. The luck of the Derby!

10 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Or constantly being criticised by supposed 'fans' who really haven't a clue about the actual situation.

Who has an actual clue?  you?

Are you saying people aren't 'fans' if they criticise something that they see? Like him getting a fat new contract whilst not even playing for us,  

Wouldn't go down very well in my office.

I don't blame him for signing it btw, just so as you know but let's not feel sorry for him.

19 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Are we safe from relegation yet?

Blackburn Rovers away, remember when we used to always be miserable against this lot.

It's a lovely sunny day up here.

Can SM dig deep and stop the rot or will it be just another good day to die?

Sunny again today, another good day to die, can't wait for the next game!......SM is not the kind of man we require, not hard and mean enough, I bet every player giggles inside when he gets angry in the dressing room and why do we have to watch him embarrass the club in the cup games when they show him and our team in the dressing room, he doesn't have any magic moves, he's just here to top up his bank balance once again.

25 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

SM is not the kind of man we require, not hard and mean enough, I bet every player giggles inside when he gets angry in the dressing room and why do we have to watch him embarrass the club in the cup games when they show him and our team in the dressing room, he doesn't have any magic moves, he's just here to top up his bank balance once again.

I hear Pearson is still available, better hurry though Leicester players want him back.

Archived