Blackburn Rovers v Derby County

AmericanRam

5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Or maybe we just decided not to compound the errors made by paying well over the odds for players like Angela, Wildschut and co. It'll be easier to rebuild over the summer when teams don't sniff our desperation and place absurd fees on players who would add little to what we already have. A hold-up striker is a must and apparently Fulham have a bloke called Martin who's out of favour so he'd be a good start. 

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not easy to add in January, but we did have a real chance if we fixed even just a couple of the imbalances in the squad. Clearly players like wildschut were at extreme prices, but Lansbury still annoys me as the one who got away, I think he was exactly what we needed- a runner in midfield who provides the link between midfield and attack. He's still fairly young too, so I think that deal was very much a fair one.

I like Martin and I'm pleased that we are getting him back but I do fear that we're just winding the clock back, and we're gonna persist with the 433. I'm not calling for a change in style ala Pearson, just a switch in formation to make us a bit harder to play against, 433 isn't the only formation Martin can play though so I am still hopeful

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JG400 said:

What worries me now about him is his apparent attitude will he bring that back with him

It worries me that bringing back a player that has been part of the last 3 years failures, is suddenly going to secure our promotion. 

I only list the Wembley final as a failure relating to him because his performance at Wembley was a bigger disappearing act than Lord Lucan. 

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not easy to add in January, but we did have a real chance if we fixed even just a couple of the imbalances in the squad. Clearly players like wildschut were at extreme prices, but Lansbury still annoys me as the one who got away, I think he was exactly what we needed- a runner in midfield who provides the link between midfield and attack. He's still fairly young too, so I think that deal was very much a fair one.

Bit irrelevant really since the owner wouldn't sell to us and the player favoured a move to Villa. Reverting to your original post, how is that Mac's fault? You stated he was 'comfortable' with the January window but what's he meant to do? Drag them kicking and screaming?

Here's a thought - maybe just accept we are where we are for now and see what the summer window brings. As much as folk like to wail and gnash their teeth on here, there'll be little change between now and then. 

14 minutes ago, JG400 said:

What worries me now about him is his apparent attitude will he bring that back with him

Martin's apparent attitude might have something to do with him being in London, his family being elsewhere, having to play for a club he doesn't want to be at and not being picked despite scoring goals for fun. I'd say I'd have a bit of a cob on in those circumstances, wouldn't you?

2 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Bit irrelevant really since the owner wouldn't sell to us and the player favoured a move to Villa. Reverting to your original post, how is that Mac's fault? You stated he was 'comfortable' with the January window but what's he meant to do? Drag them kicking and screaming?

Here's a thought - maybe just accept we are where we are for now and see what the summer window brings. As much as folk like to wail and gnash their teeth on here, there'll be little change between now and then. 

Or better still Mac, persevere! Decide on your best starting team, stick with it, win or lose. Keep going (injuries permitting) until they know each other intimately. Let them know they are the chosen ones so they can play without the fear that any missed pass, scuffed shot or botched tackle is going to lead to them being dragged through the City and pelted with rotten veg, as the forum experts would have it be so! Play with imagination, flair and passion and enjoy your football. And FFS! Don't read the **** posted by the social media experts, for they know eff all, but they will bring you down and leave you wondering why you ever strapped on a pair of boots!!!

27 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Martin's apparent attitude might have something to do with him being in London, his family being elsewhere, having to play for a club he doesn't want to be at and not being picked despite scoring goals for fun. I'd say I'd have a bit of a cob on in those circumstances, wouldn't you?

Sounds like mine and many other peoples job , except I cannot afford to refuse to work and still expect to get paid

2 minutes ago, JG400 said:

Sounds like mine and many other peoples job , except I cannot afford to refuse to work and still expect to get paid

Bet you're not on 40 grand a WEEK either. 

Well, just back and half way through a glass of white - it's a local match for us Yorkierams.

Two teams struggling with confidence and a poor but even first half. Will had a couple of off target shots that he should have done better with; Tom Ince a long range shot that rattled the goalie's gloves and they had a couple of half chances which Carson dealt with well - mainly caused because Bird was out jumped by a guy 18 inches bigger than him.  Bird was not one of tonight's problems.

The second half was meandering on until they got their penalty - looked a bit soft from 200 yards away but young Ilkley said later that it was a penalty (he was at home in London).  The response to going 1 down was excellent and apart from a couple of breakaways that came to nought and a long range shot, the rest of the match was Derby camped in the Blackburn half.  Nugent and Johnson had shots from 6 yards that were somehow blocked; Bradley hit the bar with a late header and Tom Ince was given a good opportunity by Camara but got the ball off balance and the shot was easily saved. But we didn't really create enough clear chances.

To state the bleeding obvious we aren't scoring and creating enough; Will is not dominating the midfield as he should be doing (is he not fully fit or suffering the effects of a season out?) and we lack the creativity to break down a determined defence and a Robbie van de Laan/Carsley/Taylor/Powell in midfield - someone who's not necessarily the best footballer but who can affect the game through force of personality, effort and leadership. In Ramage's terms, a ratter.

There were good things.  Nugent linked play really well and as a result the movement was much better and ball retention up front better.  He's no slouch in the air either.  Vydra when he came on was good - strong on the ball, prepared to run at defenders and link play; Abdul had a reasonable cameo but I worry if cameo is what he is good for; de Sart stretched the play well - some of his long, crossfield passing is fantastic and his tackling/interceptions weren't bad either. He's getting fitter and better.

A game in the final analysis, we should and could have won.  Disappointing that we didn't.  I would keep Nugent in on Saturday.  I think he makes us play better as a team.  If Keogh's fit I bring him back and I would be tempted to put Bird in for Christie and Anya for JR (but I wouldn't argue with playing Vydra instead) plus Olsson for Max Lowe, who had a hard time today.

Another glass, for medicinal purposes.............

8 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Well, just back and half way through a glass of white - it's a local match for us Yorkierams.

Two teams struggling with confidence and a poor but even first half. Will had a couple of off target shots that he should have done better with; Tom Ince a long range shot that rattled the goalie's gloves and they had a couple of half chances which Carson dealt with well - mainly caused because Bird was out jumped by a guy 18 inches bigger than him.  Bird was not one of tonight's problems.

The second half was meandering on until they got their penalty - looked a bit soft from 200 yards away but young Ilkley said later that it was a penalty (he was at home in London).  The response to going 1 down was excellent and apart from a couple of breakaways that came to nought and a long range shot, the rest of the match was Derby camped in the Blackburn half.  Nugent and Johnson had shots from 6 yards that were somehow blocked; Bradley hit the bar with a late header and Tom Ince was given a good opportunity by Camara but got the ball off balance and the shot was easily saved. But we didn't really create enough clear chances.

To state the bleeding obvious we aren't scoring and creating enough; Will is not dominating the midfield as he should be doing (is he not fully fit or suffering the effects of a season out?) and we lack the creativity to break down a determined defence and a Robbie van de Laan/Carsley/Taylor/Powell in midfield - someone who's not necessarily the best footballer but who can affect the game through force of personality, effort and leadership. In Ramage's terms, a ratter.

There were good things.  Nugent linked play really well and as a result the movement was much better and ball retention up front better.  He's no slouch in the air either.  Vydra when he came on was good - strong on the ball, prepared to run at defenders and link play; Abdul had a reasonable cameo but I worry if cameo is what he is good for; de Sart stretched the play well - some of his long, crossfield passing is fantastic and his tackling/interceptions weren't bad either. He's getting fitter and better.

A game in the final analysis, we should and could have won.  Disappointing that we didn't.  I would keep Nugent in on Saturday.  I think he makes us play better as a team.  If Keogh's fit I bring him back and I would be tempted to put Bird in for Christie and Anya for JR (but I wouldn't argue with playing Vydra instead) plus Olsson for Max Lowe, who had a hard time today.

Thanks for the report. A far cry from some of the hyperbole that has been posted on here tonight, from someone who was actually there.

10 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Good to get a match report from someone who was actually at the game, rather than having to read slanted versions from people who weren't within 50 miles of Ewood Park

27 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

That's spot on! Glad you are home and having a glass.  We have been wandering around Stoke's back roads for the last half hour as the A50 is shut. Still an hour from home.

Sometimes it is just haRd work being a Derby fan!

Archived