Is our team too old?

Sexydadbod

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LesterRam said:

being old is in your head, I think they have a good few years left...

gif---walking-football.ashx

I tried walking football but it`s so difficult not to run and I`ve always relied on my speed, especially over a short distance. Have to go now as although I`m 68, I can see Steve Bruce at the door.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

True. And that is fine if they're good enough to begin with. Although I'm not sure that Butters and BJ are as good as when we signed them, they aged so quickly!

If anything, with his lack of goals this season, Butterfield has regressed.  Johnson is the same player who hit the ground running last season because Schteve has seen sense in limiting his role.

26-28 years old is generally regarded as when many players (especially midfielders and attackers - closer to 30-32 with defenders and 'keepers) are in their prime so I'm not buying that our team is too old. If we were playing poorly with a young team people would moan that we lack experience. I think the wider issue is that, although we have a good squad of individuals who'd get in most teams in this league, they don't necessarily fit our style of play. This is something Mac and the recruitment team will have to address over the summer.

8 hours ago, Tombo said:

A few years ago we were too young and naive, now we're too old. Amazing really that we've got a squad of players that are biological anomalies that never had a physical peak. Amazing.

And last week it was the formation.

Yesterdays it's the home kit is probably the best theory so far.

It's different for every human being. The best you can do is make generalisations. But any player under 30 can probably give full power, strength and recovery.

i think though attitudes and mental strength vary hugely. I know if I were Mac I would have an academy player on the bench for every game .. Keeps minds focussed. Elsnik, Hanson, Lowe, Bennet ... Have at least one on the bench so the others are looking over their shoulders noting that a first team place isn't based on "Buggins turn" this week. 

The players ages aren't a problem per se. I believe the bigger issue is that their football 'maturity' for want of a better word doesn't match their ages / level of experience. The inability to close games out to get wins / draws (Bristol, Reading and Hudds away) is a good example. So is their inability to sense when an opposition team is building up pressure and to nullify that pressure (Cardiff when 2 nil up).

There will be times in all games when things go against us when we require leaders on the pitch with tactical nous and authority which we just don't have - this isn't a dig at Keogh - it is at experienced professionals with 100's of games at this level under their belts: Ince, Russell, Butterfield and yes, at times, Hughes. Too many times some of these players have gone missing when it mattered. 

43 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Pfft. Clearly it's the fans.

Or maybe the new pitch/lights/pre match music  (delete as applicable ).

See I've got a odd theory which I've not posted fearing ridicule.

To me the problem is the players.

Before you laugh, we went 10 games unbeaten with this squad, formation and kit. 

Xmas rolled round, picked up a few suspensions, injuries and we seemed to lose our mojo which has knocked the players confidence.

Fans are now on their backs after raising expectations, they will also be looking at the League Table knowing it's no longer in our hands, heading for another season in the Championship.

Some may think their time at Derby is up, by choice or the game time they've been given, we're now going through the motions with eyes on the summer holidays.

Hughes picked up a few knocks in several games, I don't think he's fully fit it all honesty. 

Looking back to January, we moved for Lansbury straight away so a CM was high on the shopping list, appears we had no other names. We needed one, badly in the end.

I do think we should remember Chris Evans returned to the club at the end of October. To expect him to have a full list of targets in 2 months is a big ask, this isn't a video game.

All eyes on him this summer. 

My feelings now are pure disappointment that the players appear to have given up. Injuries and suspensions you can give some allowances but all that hard work has now been undone. 2 wins in 8. Mid table at best form.

On 22 February 2017 at 09:28, McLovin said:

It's only just struck me how many players we have who are towards the end of their careers. Players(especially at this level) tend to slowly start to decline after the age of 28. Our recruitment in the last few years seems to be for the here and now which has resulted in us buying players coming to the end of their careers which is a problem imo because they may not be as motivated. I'm not saying to get rid of every old player in the squad because that's discriminatory and you need a balance but we do need to start focusing our recruitment on younger, hungry players. You just have to look at Monaco's attacking threat to see the benefits of having a young midfield and forward line(apart from falcao). Younger players are more dynamic and tend to play without fear. That's one of McClaren's biggest tasks in the summer, to try and reduce the overall age of the squad.

Get these two oldies in, they would play with a smile on their face, and they still would play without fear.

A hungry player can be young or old. Modern day footballers don't know their born, they need a good shake, need to wake up, and the majority deserve a good kick up the backside. And Tom Ince smile it's such an easy thing to do!

34o1xkl.jpg

Archived