My Lads op.

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right so Joel’s happy enough,I manage to hide any emotions from him.

Right side was ok,cleaned it up,always a risk of the disease coming back but we’ve got some antibiotics and spray,and he can hear a little bit now.

Left side which is the bad side has been bleeding...I found out when Joel just told Professor Ray.

I have had a look in the microscope after Mr Ray and you can see a hole in the bottom of the flap they have grafted in his ear,it has been bleeding from this.

We will now wait to see Mr Irving with a view to getting this hole sealed up.

I don’t really know what this means,I knew straight away from Mr Rays face something was wrong.

Good job we went when we did.

I’ll get back to you when I know anything...cheers.

7 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Right side was ok,cleaned it up,always a risk of the disease coming back but we’ve got some antibiotics and spray,and he can hear a little bit now.

Left side which is the bad side has been bleeding...I found out when Joel just told Professor Ray.

I have had a look in the microscope after Mr Ray and you can see a hole in the bottom of the flap they have grafted in his ear,it has been bleeding from this.

I don’t really know what this means,I knew straight away from Mr Rays face something was wrong.

Good luck Cones ????

4 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Bloody hell mate who would be a parent ,you'd rather have it yourself .All the best lads.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2018 at 18:52, Chester40 said:

When will you get some feedback on the latest blip.  Fingers crossed its nothing. 

Don't know how you keep so strong.  He is incredibly brave, brings a lump to the throat.

So referral back to Birmingham,spoke to Mr Irving’s secretary and Prof Rays to coordinate.

Mr Irving off now till July the 30th and will see Joel on the 31st of July.

It’s probably better to not speculate on anything at this stage and just try and keep the cart on the wheels till we’ve listened to what he’s saying.

I reckon we can squeeze Mansfield away in.Joel turns 21 on the 29th of July and we’ve got some nice stuff planned for him.

He doesn’t look great but no panic.

Cheers.

Just caught up with what I’ve missed since January, @coneheadjohn.

My thoughts on your situation are similar to how I feel about the recent death of a lad I used to play football with - I can’t quite comprehend it. It should feel horrific (particularly when you say you saw him attempting his own surgery) but there’s something that prevents me from feeling the appropriate emotion.

I think that this may be because I’m not old enough and I lack the life experience to fully feel certain emotions. I’d be quite interested to know how older posters feel about it, as it may just be that it’s beyond the capacity of the human brain to comprehend something so devastating.

Of course I echo the other posters’ sentiments about wishing you the best of luck. I’m looking at Notts County away at the minute, but will probably end up at Mansfield as well. If I do, I’ll be one among many offering you a well-deserved pint.

I think it’s easier to comprehend when you’ve had/got your own kids @BurtonRam7 

My youngest had his 21st earlier this year so he’s about the same age as Joel, maybe that’s why I’m so interested in his progress and hope for a happy outcome. 

It’s quite difficult to explain the bond you have with your kids to someone that’s not had any, the best I can come up with is imagine loving a partner so much you don’t think you can love them any more because what you feel is total, complete, then knock it up a notch (even though that reads contradictory) well, that’s how it is for me anyway.

21 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I think that this may be because I’m not old enough and I lack the life experience to fully feel certain emotions. I’d be quite interested to know how older posters feel about it, as it may just be that it’s beyond the capacity of the human brain to comprehend something so devastating...

There was an interesting (long) article on the BBC website about 'young adults' and when the brain finishes developing, this is a quote:

...For the first time, a cadre of psychologists and neuroscientists submitted the argument that it was inappropriate to execute juveniles because their brains haven't finished developing. They said that MRI scans of the brains of juveniles and adolescents show that well into a person's early 20s the brain is continuing to add grey matter and the prefrontal cortex - which is believed to regulate self-control - is developing.

"The brain continues to change throughout our entire lifetime, but there are massive changes still happening into the 20s," says BJ Casey, a professor of psychology and director of the Fundamentals of the Adolescent Brain lab at Yale University.

In 2005, the justices decided in the Simmons case that due to "evolving standards of decency" those 18 years and younger could not be executed by the state - it was the first time the court factored in developmental science. The court cited several neurological and psychological studies in the Miller and Montgomery decisions as well.

Since then, the evidence has only grown showing that the brain is far from finished changing by 18, and major development continues up until the age of 24 or 25. Neuroimaging shows that the brains of young adults aged 18 to 24 respond differently than the brains of older adults when making decisions, assessing risk, controlling impulses and resisting peer pressure.

"It's quite clear that, at least in the United States, we choose our legal boundaries for reasons other than scientific ones," says Laurence Steinberg, a psychology professor at Temple University and an expert in the field of adolescent brain development.

"If you're looking for a boundary that's an answer to the question, 'When do people stop maturing?', 18 is clearly too young."

Some neuroscientists and psychologists like Casey argue that young adulthood should be treated as its own distinct phase of life, separate from childhood and adulthood. She says that young adult brains simply do not function the same way that adult brains do when under stress or threat...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40375420

4 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

My youngest had his 21st earlier this year so he’s about the same age as Joel, maybe that’s why I’m so interested in his progress and hope for a happy outcome. 

It’s quite difficult to explain the bond you have with your kids to someone that’s not had any, the best I can come up with is imagine loving a partner so much you don’t think you can love them any more because what you feel is total, complete, then knock it up a notch (even though that reads contradictory) well, that’s how it is for me anyway.

That sums it up very well. 

Right upto the part they start dipping their hand in your pocket for mobiles, gym memberships etc, while conviently forgetting to pay their board, or tidy their rooms!

And even then you forgive the little buggers!

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Right upto the part they start dipping their hand in your pocket for mobiles, gym memberships etc, while conviently forgetting to pay their board, or tidy their rooms!

Fancy paying for my gym membership??

24 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Grand kids are worse imo someone warned me before I had any and they were right . My daughter said to me the other day dad did you love me as much as you love them.

Bugger off I said not even close [joking of course]

41 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Just caught up with what I’ve missed since January, @coneheadjohn.

My thoughts on your situation are similar to how I feel about the recent death of a lad I used to play football with - I can’t quite comprehend it. It should feel horrific (particularly when you say you saw him attempting his own surgery) but there’s something that prevents me from feeling the appropriate emotion.

I think that this may be because I’m not old enough and I lack the life experience to fully feel certain emotions. I’d be quite interested to know how older posters feel about it, as it may just be that it’s beyond the capacity of the human brain to comprehend something so devastating.

Of course I echo the other posters’ sentiments about wishing you the best of luck. I’m looking at Notts County away at the minute, but will probably end up at Mansfield as well. If I do, I’ll be one among many offering you a well-deserved pint.

You shouldn’t have to deal with at your age mate and it’s completely normal to not know how to react to losing someone or dealing any stressful situation.

As you get older you(unfortunately) become more experienced at dealing with stuff and you learn to deal with it but there is no right or wrong way,it’s whatever works for you,

I’m sad you lost someone you knew.

Imagine how your mum and Dad would feel if they lost you?

Beers on us at Mansfield?

26 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

What’s board mate?

Archived