Which Top 6 position side at the moment could still let Derby in.

Curtains

7 hours ago, toddy said:

If Norwich beat Wigan tonight then Wendy's are out of the top 6.

The next 3 home games could define our season, win them and we are still in the mix, drop pts and it could be all over.

I cannot see us catching Reading, Leeds or Huddersfield, it is possibly between Norwich, Wendy's and us for 6th spot.

If buts and maybes

I think you are right about the next 3 games. I really do expect us to win them, if we dont its not over but it makes if all the more difficult. I do expect us to and think we will be in the top 6 come the end of the month.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Top six seem to be doing better than expected in terms of points this season.

78 points has seen us miss out before. So 79 points has to be the target. 33 points from 17 games, or 10 wins, three draws and three defeats.

Fortunately we have 9 home games left with only Fulham and Huddersfield as direct rivals. That means the other 7 home games left are against against Barnsley, Preston, Wolves, Cardiff, Burton. Bristol City and QPR. Ideally we need to win all of them. Picking up at least 21 points from the rest of our home games is imperative.

Means we need another three of four victories on the road and we've still got a few toughies to come against Villa, Brighton, Sheff Wed, Brentford and of course the derby against Forest. Birmingham, Rotherham and Blackburn have to be the other three we claim all three points from.

It's do-able, but we need to go on a very good run of form to make the top six.

How are Fulham direct rivals and Barnsley and Preston not?

I still anticipate a top six finish!

We are the team to beat and we need fear no one in the Championship.

The Pearson nightmare is behind us and there is everything to play for.

We are playing exciting, flowing and open football.

We have a confident goalie, capable defence, efficient midfield and a forward line of players any one of whom is able to find the back of the net.

Add a great management duo and stir well.

What have we got?

We've got a Team!

We have DCFC!???????????

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Top six seem to be doing better than expected in terms of points this season.

78 points has seen us miss out before. So 79 points has to be the target. 33 points from 17 games, or 10 wins, three draws and three defeats.

Had a look at the top 8 points after 29 games compared to last season and you're right.

Newcastle and Brighton are both 5 points ahead of the top 2 after 29 games last season (Boro 57, Hull 56).

1st +5
2nd +5
3rd +2
4th +3
5th +4
6th +1
7th -1
8th -1

Whether that trend continues remains to be seen of course.

56 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Unfortunately I don't see the top six faltering and we are not good enough. Just my opinion though and I hope I'm wrong.

We have been good enough since October- thanks Pearson so still a chance yet for a while 

The most vulnerable to drop out of the top 6 has to be Wednesday as only two points separate them and seventh place. IMHO, I can't see any of the top five falling away, and we will need to be at our best to get into that one remaining playoff spot. Norwich et al will all be thinking the same. I just hope that our inability to strengthen in the transfer window doesn't come back to haunt us in the final push, as a distinct lack of goals may be our undoing. The next three home games are games that we should be winning, but as we all know, Derby are pretty good at shooting themselves in the foot. I have supported them long enough to realise that we never make things easy for ourselves, so hold on folks, things are about to get a little bit bumpy!

Our fortunes depend on putting together a winning run to get in the playoffs, including taking advantage of an excellent opportunity of taking maximum points from the next 3 games. Don't think there is anyone to fear in our run in. 

Things change in this league very quickly, remember Derby being 5 points clear of 3rd place at the end of Feb in 2015.....

Still think the teams above will come back to us, Norwich are the biggest danger outside of current top 6 and possibly Fulham. I keep waiting for the late Villa surge up the table but thinking it's not going to happen.

I feel we need to overtake 2 teams in the top 6 to finish in the play offs. That's because Norwich will finish above us and in top 6. Best we can hope for is 6 th spot but feel we will just miss out unless a couple of the current top 6 do a "Derby" and capitulate after xmas

On 09/02/2017 at 08:01, Simsy said:

I think we are destined for that 7th spot :(

I don't think that would be the end of the world.

Im sure Mac came back with next season in mind anyway, playoffs was a bit of a far fetched idea when he returned.

If we didn't make the playoffs It would give Stevie Mac a bit more time planning, to help shape for a promotion push next season and really hit the ground running from game 1.

Archived