Which Top 6 position side at the moment could still let Derby in.

Curtains

Its all about what we do from now on in

Doesn't matter what the others do

If we play to our potential and get the rub of the green we will get in the play offs irrespective of what other teams do 

That means getting results against Sheff Wed, Brighton, Fulham and Barnsley.

If we don't, then we don't deserve to go up anyway

No problem, I've enjoyed it this season, and the future is bright.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It does now... But the league table doesnt always reflect the strength and quality of a side. Fulham have IMO a better squad than most in this league. 

I would agree with that but that maybe because I have paid little attention to Preston because I did not think they would be a threat.

I know more about Barnsley because of family connections and did not think they would be a threat either.

Both are performing though and to write them off as 'not rivals' is dangerous at this stage of the season, Leicester are a pretty good example of that!

I don't think we'll make it. We have a disjointed team cobbled together by 4(?) different managers. 

We just aren't good/consistent enough to maintain a genuine challenge at present.

Give Mac a full pre season to rid us of some deadwood & recruit some missing gaps & go again next season 

A promotion season needs to be convincing. When we went up under Jim Smith it was convincing. When we were promoted under Davies we weren't and we all know what happened next. Since SM took over we've improved no end but this doesn't feel like a promotion season. I hope we make the play offs but I think realistically SM will need the close season to shape the squad the way he wants it so we can challenge for an automatic spot next season.. 

Afraid the gap is looking much wider now - and us Fulham and Norwich will be doing everything we can to dislodge them. In my mind - you have to put your own house straight first - and anything less that 7 from the next 9 points won't be good enough.

i personally don't think we would win a play off anyway.

Mac has done a good job of fixing a pretty. Dysfunctional situation post Clement and Pearson - I can't see us breaking into top 6 and winning it

when we got beat by Reading and didn't make the playoffs - I was kind of relieved in a way - as we could have got battered in the semis. I feel that now - as some teams above us are quite rightly there - and if someone does break in - on this table - they deserve to have a crack at it 

me personally - I wanted us to play full strength in the cup - and would have enjoyed a fifth round trip to Millwall with 5000 Ram fans - but heh 

I dont think we will do it now.

2 reasons

we couldnt muster a single hard fought point against norwich, leeds and newcastle away

the form of the top 6 is pretty damn good and all the sides are good enough to not be dropping points to the lower placed teams which derby would need for us to catch them.

There may be a long way to go in the season but i personally think 7th is as good as we can finish.

On 2/7/2017 at 16:31, ramant62 said:

The most vulnerable to drop out of the top 6 has to be Wednesday as only two points separate them and seventh place. IMHO, I can't see any of the top five falling away, and we will need to be at our best to get into that one remaining playoff spot. Norwich et al will all be thinking the same. I just hope that our inability to strengthen in the transfer window doesn't come back to haunt us in the final push, as a distinct lack of goals may be our undoing. The next three home games are games that we should be winning, but as we all know, Derby are pretty good at shooting themselves in the foot. I have supported them long enough to realise that we never make things easy for ourselves, so hold on folks, things are about to get a little bit bumpy!

I've convinced myself that we are waiting till the Summer, 3/4 big signings + Martin and we will be

aiming for the Auto's yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy, as that's my interpretation of Mac's comments on the

Squad/Jan transfer window etc.. and what he has obviously suggested to Mel and Sam!!

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

I dont think we will do it now.

2 reasons

we couldnt muster a single hard fought point against norwich, leeds and newcastle away

the form of the top 6 is pretty damn good and all the sides are good enough to not be dropping points to the lower placed teams which derby would need for us to catch them.

There may be a long way to go in the season but i personally think 7th is as good as we can finish.

Wednesday may let someone in, but that someone has to win all their home matches, and still some,

I can't see any of the contenders beating Leeds over 2 matches with Monk at the helm, apart from us

of course. Sure it would have been a different story if CM had been here all season. Surely he would

have seen us get another 10/12 points.

Currently, sixth place is tracking at an incredible 80 points if season-long form is extrapolated to the season end. Every year, as we near the finish, nerves begin to play a factor and some teams have a dip in form. But I think it's clear that the playoff totals will still be high and you have to say full marks to everyone for maintaining their form. And huge kudos to us for getting into contention after a prolonged dire start.

I still think any of positions 3-6 can drop out with the next four (Norwich, us, Barnsley and Fulham) in with a chance. But the most likely are dirty Leeds and the Wendies.

No top six team is going to let us into the playoffs, we are going to have to earn it,starting with our three home games which we really need to win. Sheff,leeds and huddersfield all consistent and failing injuries will only be passed by us going on an incredible run.

A game in hand on Leeds which if we win would leave us 4 points behind. That game in hand is away to Blackburn so its definitely winnable. The Blackburn game is in 4 games time, so supposing that the gap of 4 points is retained until then, we'd have 12 games to make up 4 points. Certainly doable.

5 pts off the play offs now.

It was a game that we really needed to win especially against a bottom 5 side.

I said along time ago we are not quite good enough for the play offs, I dread to think of us sneaking into to them, winning and having a 2008 rerun next season. Getting thrashed each week is not much fun.

Personally I want us to build in the summer and go for the autos next season. :thumbsup:

Archived