Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would rather see us keep our better players and trim the squad by getting rid of the deadwood...there is enough of it....

That's where you'd struggle then. We need to improve the players that play week in week out, as they're the ones failing, not the deadwood who don't get on the pitch! 

3 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

Feel this is a realistic suggestion for at least the manner of the changes, if not the specific players. Billing is an example of the sort of player I'd like/seems realistic.  

IN:- 

Irvine - (Hopeful. Could overload midfield. Younger player to perform the Bryson role.)
Billing (loan to perm)
Watkins

OUT:-

Roos (loan)
Christie
Shackell
Ollson
Hanson (loan)
Ince
Blackman
Bent

Trims the squad considerably, and provides a reasonably strong outfit.

Martin/Nugent

Russell            Irvine           Watkins

Billing      Thorne

Forsyth    Davies    Keogh   Wisdom

Carson

Watkins!-really???

53 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

That's where you'd struggle then. We need to improve the players that play week in week out, as they're the ones failing, not the deadwood who don't get on the pitch! 

So what do you want to do with the deadwood then...just keep paying them?

21 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

Watkins!-really???

No way of knowing if he'll perform at the level we need, but it's already been touted by Nixon that we'd look at Watkins if Ince left. If not straight away, Russell can play on the right and Vydra, Weimann or even Johnson can fill in on that left side. The key thing is investing in players who increase in ability and value over time. We've failed to do so since Clough left. 

48 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So what do you want to do with the deadwood then...just keep paying them?

You learn not to sign them. There's nothing else you can do. You use the lure of a contract to sign them. 

Aside of that, it wasn't the deadwood that failed, it was the starting players. 

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

You learn not to sign them. There's nothing else you can do. You use the lure of a contract to sign them. 

Aside of that, it wasn't the deadwood that failed, it was the starting players. 

So surely you still keep your better players and still try to get rid of the rubbish and replace them with better players....not get rid of your better players? I don't understand the logic. In any place of work you have your good workers and the slackers...get rid of the slackers first...

49 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So surely you still keep your better players and still try to get rid of the rubbish and replace them with better players....not get rid of your better players? I don't understand the logic. In any place of work you have your good workers and the slackers...get rid of the slackers first...

Honest question, who are the slackers? The general consensus is that Blackman, olsson, Weimann, christie and Shackell are to go. Two of those were injured at the end of the season, one was on loan and the other two were either first team or on the fringes. 

You can't fault the effort of any player at the club currently, its just some of the players have failed to make a real stamp on the squad. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The point you're missing is that it's your better/best players that are the ones that failed! 

27 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Honest question, who are the slackers? The general consensus is that Blackman, olsson, Weimann, christie and Shackell are to go. Two of those were injured at the end of the season, one was on loan and the other two were either first team or on the fringes. 

You can't fault the effort of any player at the club currently, its just some of the players have failed to make a real stamp on the squad. 

Perhaps slackers is the wrong term,,,probably not good enough or we can do without would be better. We all have our differing views on who can cut it as a first team regular. If we are looking to raise funds I would be happy to let Olsson, Vydra, Shackell, Blackman, Weimann and Bent go....raise a bit of dosh, free up some wages and allow 3 decent players to come in......

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

The point you're missing is that it's your better/best players that are the ones that failed! 

I am not missing any point Mostyn.......Ince certainly didn't fail last season or since he has been here but it looks like he, along with Hughes are the ones to go. The point you are missing is despite the failure of the team as a whole, some players did perform well and it is those we need to keep....

10 hours ago, SouthernRam said:

No way of knowing if he'll perform at the level we need, but it's already been touted by Nixon that we'd look at Watkins if Ince left. If not straight away, Russell can play on the right and Vydra, Weimann or even Johnson can fill in on that left side. The key thing is investing in players who increase in ability and value over time. We've failed to do so since Clough left. 

All good points except "been touted by Nixon".I wouldn't take his views too seriously.

Problem in that scenario is Ince doesn't get properly replaced by a senior player who will contribute near to what he did.

I suspect Russell and whoever we deem has more experience/ fits the system/performs best in training from Vydra, Bennett, Weimann or Blackman starts and Watkins is initially an impact player at best.

I'm kind of pro Watkins if he's seen as good enough by people more familiar than me, but only at a sensible price. £2m max and hefty add ons if he lives up to his potential. A large fee means it isn't a Jacobs or whoever we've had in the past cheap gamble, it's the fee we should be getting a first team improver for.  We're not in a position to overpay for anyone who isn't capable of hitting the ground running this season.

... Russell can play on the right and Vydra, Weimann or even Johnson can fill in on that left side.

The key thing is investing in players who increase in ability and value over time. We've failed to do so since Clough left. 

Really don't want a repeat of last season's window, spunking the transfer money on players that didn't make us any better off! Just poorer!

Archived